Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2021, 12:28   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Lightweight, Removable Bug Screens

For those that are considering a weighted border for their screens, we were very pleased with the weighted line taken from the rim of a couple of old shredded cast nets. These were perfect for our use and easily sewn into a hem around the soft screening. For screen pieces that were held with velcro, we sewed the softer strip of velcro to the screen edge and we used contact cement to adhere the firmer velcro strip to the hatch border.
Old 13-02-2021, 13:28   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I would not use velcro on a door--coming and going is too much of a PIA. Secure the top and weight the bottom so you can just slide out (needs to wide enough for good overlap. Alternatively, don't screen the door and provide other ventilation.
Old 13-02-2021, 14:11   #18

Boat: Norseman 400

I made screens for every hatch and every port. The ports have two styles, if you will. No-see-um fine mesh and regular plastic scree with a Sunbrella edging and Velcro strips sewn on. Sticky Velcro attaches to the plastic around the ports. The Velcro adhesive is easily removed with Goof Off or other adhesive remover.

The fine mesh really restricts airflow, but the Jejenes in Mexico are vicious and can easily travel through regular sized screen. Because out boat isn't air conditioned, it's nice to have even limited air flow if the bugs are trying to get in.

They are easy to take down when the ports need to be closed or the screens cleaned. It's amazing how much dust they collect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3284.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	232481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3289.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	232482  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3290.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	232483   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3287.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	232484  

Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 14:31   #19

Boat: Pearson 10M

I used stainless steel jack chain to weight the mosquito net I made for our forward hatch.

something like this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-X-100-SI...kAAOSwz8Vd6weS
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 14:32   #20

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
From the Defender list of screens we have and use:

1. Sogeman Companion Way Screen. Works well, not too much trouble to use. I would buy it again.
2. Waterline Insect Port Screen. Ok but I would not buy again. Flimsy, don't stay in place, and the metal grommet tends to pull out of the mesh.

We also have two professionally made hatch covers that are similar to the Sogeman's hatch cover shown at the Defender site, but use a sand-filled skirt to hold the thing in place, have Sunbrella to cover the hatch so that when the hatch is closed, light is kept out and has bug screen that drapes over the entire hatch when the hatch is open. These are my favourite.
Old 13-02-2021, 15:31   #21

On our catamaran with a hinged and swinging single door for companionway, about 5ft high and 2ft wide and rounded top and bottom, I had a woman with a commercial sewing machine sew a boarder around plastic screen material that fit on the inside of the companionway. There is a raised wood frame on the interior side and I had the screen made overlapping that wood frame. I then had metal snaps rivetted on the border and installed other half of the snaps on the surrounding frame with screws. Thus one enters, swinging the door open and hooking it in place, unroll the screen with snaps and border and snap in place when inside with the door open.
The snaps on the outside of the raised frame seem to tighten the screen and make a tight seal. One can un-snap and exit and re-snap most of them. This served us well for years when in buggy places.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 15:46   #22

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

My windows have permanent screens, but my forward hatch has the velcro screen setup. Against the black hatch frame it's hard to see the velcro. It works pretty well and the screen is easy to store when not in use.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 16:31   #23

We weighted down our screens with marbles sewn into the 2" base around the hatches and on the bottom of companionway. Also, used a few pieces of velcro to keep the companionway netting tight.
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 20:42   #24

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
Was this posted in the wrong thread? Or am I missing something.
He welded the bug screens on. Very durable!

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 21:09   #25

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Sogman insect screens, for batches and companion ways, I purchased them from Defender, up in Connecticut. We have had them on the boat for the last three years of full time cruising, they work quite well.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 21:22   #26

Velcro adhesive never stays in place over time due to heat. I’d use rare earth magnets expoxied or snaps.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 21:34   #27

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

The magnetic split seam screen doors work well on cats. Easy, hands free movement in and out of the doorway. But they do use velcro around the perimeter.

Amazon has a huge selection of sizes.

Matt
Old 13-02-2021, 21:54   #28

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we make our own screens for the hatches. use flyscreen mesh from the local hardware and then hand stitch appropriate weight (ie not too heavy / not too light) gal chain around the edge

then just sits over the hatch

very inexpensive...been using them for years without any problems

vertical windows have flyscreen press-studded on the outside

the only problem area is the bi-fold double doors to the cockpit where so far we haven't been able to beat curtains

cheers,
Old 14-02-2021, 03:54   #29

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

So many solutions to the problem. Wow!

I’m going through them.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 13:04   #30

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Large White Camping Mosquito Net Indoor Outdoor Insect Netting Tent Storage,
We purchased this on Ebay for $20 and is large enough to cover our 9' x 11" hard top and entire cockpit with light weights that hold it down. Our hatches have recoil screens on each that are held open with magnets ( I am not a big fan of recoil screens). Our portholes have screens on them but we never open our portholes.
If I wanted to go inexpensive and easy, I would open the hatches for optimal air flow and make mosquito screen large enough to cover the hatch and opening with weighted perimeter. You simply open the hatches and drape the mosquito net over the hatch and opening. When not in use, pick them up and store away. This will allow for easy closure when it starts raining. They cold fit any hatch by making them all the same size. Only use them on the hatches that are being used. With a sewing machine, someone could make 10 of them out of the mosquito net mentioned above.
I really don't like velcro around the hatches, I believe they look shabby. I am still pulling off sticky residue and rusty staples from previous owner.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen