Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2013, 15:24   #1
o_q

Lining the Inner Hull

I've seen this done with carpet. I would imagine it could pose a problem with mold and all, but I also think this could be prevented/minimized. How does one properly do this, and what material should be used?
o_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 18:43   #2

We have first used the foil bubble wrap foil insolation applied with contact cement. The cut pile head liner again applied with contact cement. This has improved heating and cooling on the boat. I have had a few deck leaks and have not had a problem with mold to date, maybe it is hidden from view...I think any moisture that has gotten behind must have evaporated back out.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 18:57   #3
o_q

Re: Lining the inner-hull

what's the bubble wrap for?
Old 28-07-2013, 04:35   #4

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

It's foil bubble insulation that you can find at Home Depot or Lowes.

It adds insulation between the deck and the inside of the cabin to keep things cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter.

Some folks swear by it, others swear at it as an improper installation can allow moisture to collect between the deck and the insulation. This will cause mold and mildew.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 06:49   #5
o_q

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
Some folks swear by it, others swear at it as an improper installation can allow moisture to collect between the deck and the insulation.
I don't quite understand this bit. Are you saying that some people say that this method of insulation is improper? Or are you saying that improper insulation in general will cause mold and mildew?

I was also wondering how hard it is to remove this sort of insulation.
Old 29-07-2013, 07:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post

I don't quite understand this bit. Are you saying that some people say that this method of insulation is improper? Or are you saying that improper insulation in general will cause mold and mildew?

The community almost never agrees, while I like the Mylar insulation (it also help radar see your boat) if water gets trapped behind it it could mildew. Almost all options in boating have a down side or a group of people that are against it.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 07:36   #7

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_q View Post

It's the improper installation (not insulation) that creates the problem.

What most folks do is spray or roll contact cement on the both surfaces then press on the insulation. As long as there are no gaps between the roof and the foil, there's no place for the mildew or mold to really get started. Basically as long as you do a proper prep of the surfaces (no big lumps and bumps on the coachroof), it works great.

I've never tried to remove it but I have the feeling it wouldn't go well. Thin foil and grabby glue usually mean a lot of swearing while wielding a putty knife (or possibly gas and matches from the dockside depending on how long the swearing has gone on ).
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull