Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2023, 16:28   #46

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Longest Lasting, Best Bottom Paint on the Market for Faster Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Bottom paint choice depends on the use of the boat, how it's stored and where it'll be sailed. Bottom paint can be anything from hard and smooth with little or no anti fouling property to very soft ablatives with high copper content. We currently use ablative because we don't want paint build up but when we were racing we used very hard paints that could be polished. All paints need maintenance to keep them working, some more then others.

Best to ask the locals what they recommend.
I am a local. Lol

I’m going home finally.

I use the west marine paint. Ablative. 70% copper solid. Just Pettit with a different tag on it.

I usually get 3 to 4 years out of it without hauling out. It’s looking pretty rough by the end of that time. I don’t do any maintenance on the paint whatsoever once it’s in the water.

I don’t think they sell that anymore.

I made the thread to find out about new things that I don’t know about. Also to see how to deal with that difference regarding higher speed boats. It seems to wear down the ablative faster.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 16:29   #47

Boat: Outremer 55L

We use a hard ablative: two coats all over and two more on the bows, waterlines and skegs/rudders. You can dry wall knife it (I use plastic blades) to remove sheets of slime, or use a plastic scrubbing pad. That’s my favourite when there’s low fouling: it nicely refreshes the top layer of paint. There’s almost no visible paint residue in the water even scrubbing hard. FWIW, we use a commercial low/medium duty paint from Jotun: SeaQuantum Ultra S https://www.jotun.com/au-en/industri...uantum-Ultra-S. Seems to work well in the SE Pacific.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 16:34   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We use a hard ablative: two coats all over and two more on the bows, waterlines and skegs/rudders. You can dry wall knife it (I use plastic blades) to remove sheets of slime, or use a plastic scrubbing pad. That’s my favourite when there’s low fouling: it nicely refreshes the top layer of paint. There’s almost no visible paint residue in the water even scrubbing hard. FWIW, we use a commercial low/medium duty paint from Jotun: SeaQuantum Ultra S https://www.jotun.com/au-en/industri...uantum-Ultra-S. Seems to work well in the SE Pacific.
Thank you!!! There’s a new one I hadn’t considered before. Perfect!
Old 17-06-2023, 04:01   #49
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I also have a trick/tip: often you get most of the growth just under the waterline, where there is most light.

If you have these overpriced deck brushes with click on/off system (Shurhold?) they have a telescoping handle and also an angled adapter. I lash the taping knife to that angled adapter because I never found any other use for it and now it is usable from deck

Edit: this thing: https://shurhold.com/products/curved-adapter

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 04:16   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I also have a trick/tip: often you get most of the growth just under the waterline, where there is most light.

If you have these overpriced deck brushes with click on/off system (Shurhold?) they have a telescoping handle and also an angled adapter. I lash the taping knife to that angled adapter because I never found any other use for it and now it is usable from deck

A little off topic, but something for you as well:

Old 17-06-2023, 05:29   #51

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:

That curved adapter looks like a really handy thing! I usually clean around the waterline either in the water with a sponge (if it's warm enough to swim) or from the dock and/or dinghy with a soft bristled deck brush. The angled adapter would definitely make it easier by letting me do more from on the boat, although I still can't go the forward 1/3 (as with a 6 foot handle I'll run out of length to reach unless I'm laying on the deck with my arms over the side, the boat is too tall).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 06:03   #52

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
That curved adapter looks like a really handy thing! I usually clean around the waterline either in the water with a sponge (if it's warm enough to swim) or from the dock and/or dinghy with a soft bristled deck brush. The angled adapter would definitely make it easier by letting me do more from on the boat, although I still can't go the forward 1/3 (as with a 6 foot handle I'll run out of length to reach unless I'm laying on the deck with my arms over the side, the boat is too tall).
You need the telescoping handle!

Old 17-06-2023, 06:06   #53

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
10” drywall taping knife sounds perfect!

I might even have one aboard from the build, although the handle is about 3-4 inches in diameter from no one ever cleaning that part of it when we built the boat. Ha ha. They only clean the blade. I’ll have to post a pic. It’s ridiculous. A 3-4” handle of bog.
Hello Chotu I have been curious and this seems like as good as any place to ask...

When your epoxy allergy developed were you using a particular formula/brand of epoxy? I want to do some research on epoxies and I'm wondering what your experience was like. If you have written up the story elsewhere just point me to it.

Thanks,
Ben
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 07:29   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgWesternMass View Post
Hello Chotu I have been curious and this seems like as good as any place to ask...

When your epoxy allergy developed were you using a particular formula/brand of epoxy? I want to do some research on epoxies and I'm wondering what your experience was like. If you have written up the story elsewhere just point me to it.

Thanks,
Ben
No problem, Ben. I’ll let you know about it here.

There is no particular brand. I don’t believe any of that marketing. If any epoxy has aliphatic amine hardener, that’s the substance that causes the reactions.

And that includes every single epoxy there is pretty much.

The main thing to watch out for is not to be fooled. Epoxy doesn’t smell. It doesn’t give off a big stink like polyester or vinyl ester. So you are easily lulled into thinking it’s not a big deal to be breathing it. It is a very big deal.

Everyone gets a certain amount of exposure before they start having a reaction. The only problem is no one knows how much exposure they have been allotted without a reaction. It could happen in an hour. It could happen in 15 years. You don’t know.

So the best way to prevent the situation is to avoid all exposure.

Don’t get it on your hands. Don’t breathe it. Don’t get it on your skin at all.

That way if you only have a year or a month of exposure before your body goes crazy, you won’t use up that year or month because you won’t be exposed at all.
Old 17-06-2023, 16:54   #55

Quote:
No problem, Ben. I’ll let you know about it here.

There is no particular brand. I don’t believe any of that marketing. If any epoxy has aliphatic amine hardener, that’s the substance that causes the reactions.

And that includes every single epoxy there is pretty much.

The main thing to watch out for is not to be fooled. Epoxy doesn’t smell. It doesn’t give off a big stink like polyester or vinyl ester. So you are easily lulled into thinking it’s not a big deal to be breathing it. It is a very big deal.

Everyone gets a certain amount of exposure before they start having a reaction. The only problem is no one knows how much exposure they have been allotted without a reaction. It could happen in an hour. It could happen in 15 years. You don’t know.

So the best way to prevent the situation is to avoid all exposure.

Don’t get it on your hands. Don’t breathe it. Don’t get it on your skin at all.

That way if you only have a year or a month of exposure before your body goes crazy, you won’t use up that year or month because you won’t be exposed at all.

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry you had to experience and I guess I should start to make up for 30ish years of neglectful use. I have gotten better in the last 5...
Old 17-06-2023, 17:30   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgWesternMass View Post
Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry you had to experience and I guess I should start to make up for 30ish years of neglectful use. I have gotten better in the last 5...
Maybe I should have stated some thing a little differently. It’s how many hours you have before your body goes crazy. Hours of exposure.

So over 30 years depending on how many boats you have built, you may or may not have that many hours exposure.

Probably could have phrased that a little bit better
Old 17-06-2023, 18:05   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Each to his own. I have experimented with a variety of bottom paints, with a variety of results, but finally settled on Pettit Trinidad as the best bottom paint for me. Typically put two coats on at haulout time, giving me a good two, sometimes three year service life.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 18:16   #58

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
You need the telescoping handle!
How long do they extend to? My current ones telescope, but only to 6 feet (and the deck is almost that far off the water at the bow).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 23:05   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
How long do they extend to? My current ones telescope, but only to 6 feet (and the deck is almost that far off the water at the bow).
There’s a 6’ but also a 9’ handle.

Old 18-06-2023, 03:15   #60

Quote:
Maybe I should have stated some thing a little differently. It’s how many hours you have before your body goes crazy. Hours of exposure.

So over 30 years depending on how many boats you have built, you may or may not have that many hours exposure.

Probably could have phrased that a little bit better
30 years of making things that sometimes used epoxy and used minimum caution so I feel I could be due.

I knew what you meant. I haven’t built a single boat yet. After reading your story I thought I would give it a go.

Tags
boat, bottom paint, paint