Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 18:01   #46
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Look what I bought for a pittance today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Just looking at your comment again.

Whether I persevere with a secondhand liferaft or buy a new one I will be up for service costs

"This ^^
plus going costs at the next service and then the next one etc.

The alternative is to hire a life raft and I can assure you I'll look into that.

I surprised you think you have an idea of my sailing plans
Of course you will have service costs for a new raft - sort of goes without saying.

My point though is a new raft is unlikely to have any problems while in warranty and if it does, it is covered by warranty.

An old raft near the end of the warranty period is more likely to develop issues at every service further down the track. So even if the old raft passes muster this time, it is more likely than a new one to fail at the following service or the following etc.

As for sailing plans, I did say 'I don't know when you expect to launch but I'm guessing'... so I reckon that suggests I don't have an idea - sorry if it sounded like I did!

However I haven't met anyone yet who launched and set off without sea trials and I have made an assumption that a raft is not a must have while sea trails etc are carried out.

YMMV and that is understandable .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 18:26   #47

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Of course you will have service costs for a new raft - sort of goes without saying.

My point though is a new raft is unlikely to have any problems while in warranty and if it does, it is covered by warranty.

An old raft near the end of the warranty period is more likely to develop issues at every service further down the track. So even if the old raft passes muster this time, it is more likely than a new one to fail at the following service or the following etc.

As for sailing plans, I did say 'I don't know when you expect to launch but I'm guessing'... so I reckon that suggests I don't have an idea - sorry if it sounded like I did!

However I haven't met anyone yet who launched and set off without sea trials and I have made an assumption that a raft is not a must have while sea trails etc are carried out.

YMMV and that is understandable .

I have two friends who built their yachts, went on shake-down cruise and then headed off around the world. Why hang around for years?

I most certainly would want a life raft on a shake-down cruise. Who knows whether the raft is still under the 14 year warranty? Ill get it down to O'Connor and let the experts have a look at it I guess there's no point considering alternatives until I know the condition of the raft.

I won't be too happy though if he hands me an invoice for $1000 as he says "She's stuffed!"
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 19:18   #48
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

After reading what RodtheRebel posted in the previous link, I would be asking the guys at O'Connor what material the raft is constructed from. It seems the type of the material / seams / glue affects the longevity of the raft.

It will be interesting to hear what they say, please keep us updated!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 19:23   #49

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
After reading what RodtheRebel posted in the previous link, I would be asking the guys at O'Connor what material the raft is constructed from. It seems the type of the material / seams / glue affects the longevity of the raft.

My old RFD felt like something mid way between conventional rubber and a modern PVC inflatable dinghy.
Old 05-11-2020, 19:40   #50

Quote:

WOTNAME
PULease don't reply to this comment as I am trying to do work on the yacht!

I've been trying to find out what material the life raft is made of but to-date no success.

17-01-2018. Such is the confidence in the quality of their product, Plastimo has now announced an 18 year warranty now applies to all Plastimo liferafts manufactured and sold after January 2012.

Great Circle Life Rafts
Our confidence in the quality, workmanship and reliability of our life rafts allow us to provide a 12 year guarantee for all the life rafts we manufacture, provided they undergo inspections at required intervals in a Great Circle Life Rafts approved service facility.

RFD has been manufacturing life rafts for over 60 years. Manufactured to strict international standards in their own factories, RFD says their rafts are specifically designed for quick boarding in emergency situations, and are supplied with comprehensive emergency packs. They carry a conditional 12 year warranty.

STOWAGE AND SERVICING
Raft manufacturers warranty most life rafts for 10 or 12 years, based on servicing according to their recommendations. In fact, a raft that is kept dry and is regularly repacked may last for 20 years or more until it is condemned by a factory-authorized service station

https://www.bwsailing.com/cc/2015/01...nd-deployment/

Ocean Safety ISO 9650-1 liferaft (ZODIAC???)

Warranty. Our products are designed to be of a high quality. That’s why we offer a 20 year warranty from the delivery date of your product against [faulty workmanship and materials, system and mechanical defects] provided you register the product with us
Old 05-11-2020, 21:37   #51

Know Your Life Raft Inspection Requirements

This is a worry!

I think this guy hits it right on the head when he says these companies make their money out of servicing not the sale.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blo...n-requirements
Old 06-11-2020, 00:15   #52

This is a brand new liferaft just launched by Survitec – an organisation formed by combining a number of different companies (Crewsaver, RFD, Beaufort & Cosalt toname a few)

AND

The Plastimo’s tubes are unusual in that they’re double-skinned. The inner, inflated tube is made from polyurethane and it has an outer casing of1100 Decitex PVC zipped up onto it, which is said to offer extreme resistance to abrasion.It probably works well in practice, but I would worry about the zip coming apart and sharp stuff touching the more fragile inner tube
Old 06-11-2020, 01:36   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Most epirbs use Saft LI SOCL batteries in various combinations they are not expensive in the US something like 15usd each Can you solder .......
Old 06-11-2020, 02:19   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Most epirbs use Saft LI SOCL batteries in various combinations they are not expensive in the US something like 15usd each Can you solder .......

Yep can solder!

Now when I test it what do I tell the air/sea rescue helicopter pilot when he arrives overhead?

Just did a google and there is a self test function but there are regulations regarding testing of epirbs which must be done periodically.

https://gmdsstesters.com/radio-surve...hz-epirbs.html

https://gmdsstesters.com/video.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-11-06 GMDSS Testers Video manuals(1).png
Views:	56
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	226500  
Old 06-11-2020, 08:09   #55

I did something similar 10 years ago. I bought the thing (a 6-man Ocean), dropped it off for service, then got a call asking if I really needed that class. I didn't, so they offered me a new 4-man coastal in full exchange. The 4-man one was worth £450, I had paid £150 for the old one !
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:24   #56

Another option for a used life raft ( I’ve bought a few in the past as it either came with the boat, or I bought the raft used. As the recert is so expensive, in some cases you can nearly buy a new raft for the price of a recert, Instead of just hoping for the best, (as thats all my budget could do), we did our own inspection and resupply/repack. It’s not rocket science. The hardest part is.the repack. Best not to inflate it with the co2 cartridge, as it very cold and not good for the raft material. This is much better than just “hoping for the best”. In used rafts are pretty cheap because of the high recert costs.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 17:40   #57

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Another option for a used life raft ( I’ve bought a few in the past as it either came with the boat, or I bought the raft used. As the recert is so expensive, in some cases you can nearly buy a new raft for the price of a recert, Instead of just hoping for the best, (as thats all my budget could do), we did our own inspection and resupply/repack. It’s not rocket science. The hardest part is.the repack. Best not to inflate it with the co2 cartridge, as it very cold and not good for the raft material. This is much better than just “hoping for the best”. In used rafts are pretty cheap because of the high recert costs.
Wait....what? How many have done their own repacking and are confident about it? I'm intrigued by this.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 18:00   #58

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I’ve had several life rafts recertified.
I use LRSE in Tiverton RI. Near Newport. They are a 90 minute drive for me. They usually have a several month backlog but are quite willing to coordinate and schedule.
They do lots of recerts. Fancy racing yachts (Rambler 100 etc. ). Ships. Fishing boats. Small sailboats. Mega yachts. All approached the same professional way.
They have lots of rafts on the floor
The best part is walking through the inspection with the technician. The techs are sometimes survival trainers. It’s their career.
Most reputable services are very happy to have the customer become familiar with the raft.
I also have them inspect my inflatable pfds from time to time.
I think of the cost as reasonable life assurance.
They know their stuff.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 18:05   #59

...as you are trying to get warranty service through your iridiumgo in the middle of nowhere
Seems like warranty would be for the estate
Lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 18:13   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Wait....what? How many have done their own repacking and are confident about it? I'm intrigued by this.
My life raft is a Plastimo Transocean which is probably a "Plastimo Offshore life raft" which the guy (in the video clip) is self servicing. Just knowing what is inside the canister is very helpful. I've just discovered the clip so I'll watch it this evening.

The ISO9650 regulations came into force in 2005 so the maximum age of my life raft is 15 years as my raft conforms with ISO 9650-1 requirements. (that would make it one year out of warranty at the maximum)

I think I'll leave mine to the experts as I believe they would quickly come to a conclusion as to whether it has past its' "use by date". If they decide it is still usable I'd get them to advise on a likely cost of servicing and then go on from there.