Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2024, 09:54   #1

Looking for a boat construction space in Central Florida

Morning all

I am looking to build a catamaran [I know, one for punishment] but my garage can't take the size I am planning. It worked out for smaller ones I built before but this is a little bigger.

So, I am looking for a space to build my next boat somewhere else than my garage. I am looking for areas in Ormond Beach/Daytona Beach. Any suggestions?

Anyone with know of a land for lease or preferably a boat yard that allows me to build there?

TIA
tharch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 04:58   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Looking for a boat construction space in Central Florida

You are obviously an experienced builder so you'd have a good idea of the planned construction time. Is it cheaper to build in a cheaper area then transport the finished yacht?

Have you checked these links out?

DIY boatyard in central Florida Atlantic coast

Cruisers Forumhttps://www.cruisersforum.com › forums › diy-boatya...

12 May 2021 — St Marys Boat Services in St Marys, GA has a DIY boatyard. Check with Terri though, I am not sure there are any spaces available at the moment.

DIY Boatyard in Florida, need liveaboard amenities
6 Dec 2012
Do it Yourself Boatyard - Florida West Coast - Cruisers Forum
7 May 2010

Help! Recommendations for affordable liveaboard diy yard ...

4 Oct 2016
Best affordable east coast DIY marina for refit... - Cruisers Forum
5 Feb 2016

Lighthouse Boatyard and Marina - Daytona

Snag-A-Sliphttps://www.snagaslip.com › ... › Florida's
East Coast

Lighthouse Boatyard and Marina in Daytona, Florida is the largest Do-It-Yourself boatyard in town. With a plethora of contractors and services there is no .

DIY Boatyard in SE Florida -- Like Playboy? Any others? ...

The Hull Truthhttps://www.thehulltruth.com › ... › Florida & Georgia
10 Jan 2021 — $1.00 per foot per day, boats less then 18' beam, and length to 50'. DIY yard hours 7 days a week 7:30 to 5:00 PM. They do not accept credit ...

Miami/Lauderdale DIY boatyard - Boating and Fishing Forum

17 Feb 2021
DIY Boatyards Tampa area - Boating and Fishing Forum
29 Jan 2019

DIY Yard in Ft Lauderdale Area - Boating and Fishing Forum
31 Oct 2019
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
You are obviously an experienced builder so you'd have a good idea of the planned construction time. Is it cheaper to build in a cheaper area then transport the finished yacht?

Have you checked these links out?

DIY boatyard in central Florida Atlantic coast

Cruisers Forumhttps://www.cruisersforum.com ›
forums › diy-boatya...

12 May 2021 — St Marys Boat Services in St Marys, GA has a DIY boatyard. Check with Terri though, I am not sure there are any spaces available at the moment.

DIY Boatyard in Florida, need liveaboard amenities
6 Dec 2012
Do it Yourself Boatyard - Florida West Coast - Cruisers Forum
7 May 2010

Help! Recommendations for affordable liveaboard diy yard ...

4 Oct 2016
Best affordable east coast DIY marina for refit... - Cruisers Forum
5 Feb 2016

Lighthouse Boatyard and Marina - Daytona

Snag-A-Sliphttps://www.snagaslip.com › ... › Florida's
East Coast

Lighthouse Boatyard and Marina in Daytona, Florida is the largest Do-It-Yourself boatyard in town. With a plethora of contractors and services there is no .

DIY Boatyard in SE Florida -- Like Playboy? Any others? ...

The
Hull Truthhttps://www.thehulltruth.com › ... › Florida & Georgia
10 Jan 2021 — $1.00 per foot per day, boats less then 18' beam, and length to 50'. DIY yard hours 7 days a week 7:30 to 5:00 PM. They do not accept credit ...

Miami/Lauderdale DIY boatyard - Boating and Fishing Forum

17 Feb 2021
DIY Boatyards Tampa area - Boating and Fishing Forum
29 Jan 2019

DIY Yard in Ft Lauderdale Area - Boating and Fishing Forum
31 Oct 2019

Hi coopec43

I hope the "experienced builder" is in jest :-). If only, building a dinghy taught me everything!

I looked at the forum links you mentioned including the DIY yards both at Moore Haven and Green Cove Springs. What I wasn't sure about was whether they only allow boats to be brought and repaired there and will they allow me to actually show up with a trailer full of cut plywood and start stitching and gluing and so on. This is a project for 1-2 yrs from now and I am slowly doing the ground work to assess feasibility

Thanks
Old 03-02-2024, 01:55   #4

I don't know what size cat you plan to build but if it could be legally hauled by road why not build it on a cheap lot close to where you and then transport when complete.

If hardstands in Daytona boat yards cost anything like they do in Australia it might work out a lot cheaper. I finished mine off at Lancelin then transported it 60 km to the marina where it was launched. That cost about $3000 but it is a big yacht.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP7518.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	285962  
Old 03-02-2024, 04:30   #5

Quote:
I don't know what size cat you plan to build but if it could be legally hauled by road why not build it on a cheap lot close to where you and then transport when complete.

If hardstands in Daytona boat yards cost anything like they do in Australia it might work out a lot cheaper. I finished mine off at Lancelin then transported it 60 km to the marina where it was launched. That cost about $3000 but it is a big yacht.

Thanks Coopec43

I am looking at 38-45 foot range. My thoughts were to build each hull and the center deck separately and hold them in storage until all are built, move them to the yard on a truck and then join them there. It means either modifying the design somewhat or having a plan designed that way to begin with but it seems the easier way to do that.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:47   #6

Why don't you PM Chotu https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tu-198836.html and get his advice as he has built a catamaran.

Chotu is a great guy and I'm sure he would be happy to advise.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:18   #7

Quote:
Why don't you PM Chotu https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tu-198836.html and get his advice as he has built a catamaran.

Chotu is a great guy and I'm sure he would be happy to advise.
That will be great. I will. I don't know what the implications are from structural and logistics point of view but another thought is to build each hull in two pieces and then join them

Thanks
Old 03-02-2024, 05:38   #8

Maybe you should be looking for a design of Cat that can be built in three pieces?

https://proafile.com/multihull-boats/article/argo-the-modular-pod-cat
Old 03-02-2024, 06:07   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

My advice would be to find a place close to home, preferably under a shed roof of some kind. You don't want to be commuting a 100 miles a day for a few hours work.

I have built my own boat. These projects tend to run into years of time, mine almost 3 years. I eventually bought a camper which I located next to my build and moved in so I could work on the boat day or night. Holding down a daytime job means night work.
You will also need a good electrical power and water supply.

You need a place where your tools, materials and equipment would be safe from theft, vandalism, etc.

I'd be inclined to look for a yard in a commercial area, which would rent you the "space" needed.

I looked around for some time before I settled on a place to build my boat.

GCS marina is an obvious choice, as there are several people living there working on boats, but there are likely other places.

Goog luck with your project.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 18:51   #10

Coopec43
I am hoping that there are some that are suitable to build in parts. I will go over the link you included

Thanks
Old 03-02-2024, 18:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
My advice would be to find a place close to home, preferably under a shed roof of some kind. You don't want to be commuting a 100 miles a day for a few hours work.

I have built my own boat. These projects tend to run into years of time, mine almost 3 years. I eventually bought a camper which I located next to my build and moved in so I could work on the boat day or night. Holding down a daytime job means night work.
You will also need a good electrical power and water supply.

You need a place where your tools, materials and equipment would be safe from theft, vandalism, etc.

I'd be inclined to look for a yard in a commercial area, which would rent you the "space" needed.

I looked around for some time before I settled on a place to build my boat.

GCS marina is an obvious choice, as there are several people living there working on boats, but there are likely other places.

Goog luck with your project.
I am hoping to build it in parts if i can find a suitable plan

If not, will need to find a farmer with a chicken coop big enough like Wharram

Old 03-02-2024, 22:25   #12

Sometime in the future you may be thankful you built your cat in three parts as you may wish to transport it by road to a distant port.(Surely that would not be too expensive being light weight)

Is that a consideration?
Old 05-02-2024, 11:07   #13

Quote:
Sometime in the future you may be thankful you built your cat in three parts as you may wish to transport it by road to a distant port.(Surely that would not be too expensive being light weight)

Is that a consideration?

I am not sure if I foresee dismantling the boat and trucking cross country but I guess never say never!

At this point, I foresee us sailing east coast of US, caribbean and possibly Europe via Iceland/Scotland in the dreamy far future.

PS:
Anyone has suggestions for a catamaran plan that I can build in multiple pieces and put them together in the boat yard before launch? Looking for a 36-42 ft or so range.

Thanks all
Old 05-02-2024, 21:19   #14

Maybe some clues here?

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ns-227810.html

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...j_0HQM&vssid=l
Old 06-02-2024, 11:57   #15

Hi Coopec43

I already have several book marks from various designers and pages from boatdesign.net etc. First link discussed a lot about pros and cons of building.

I am not dead-set on building if I find one I like and can refurbish, I am open to that too but not seeing any in my range.

A bit like to mod proa link - looking for one designed to be built in segments that can be assembled in the yard before launching.

I like the Ed Horstman 36/38 Tristar. I also looked at Woods Transit, Waller 1480.

Just wanted to see if anyone has a plan that allowed them to build a hull in fore half and aft half separately and then assemble at the yard.

Also, anyone built Horstman Tristars? Any opinions? I like the look and the space but don't know if there are any more "modern" plans? If the Tristars perform well and have good space/safety, I am not bothered by whether they are considered modern or dated.

Just looking for anyone with an experience of the above.

Perhaps I should start a new thread since the premise of the thread changed now!!

Thanks

Tags
boat, florida