Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2020, 13:10   #1

We are searching for a marina that can handle a 70-foot motorsailer, 7.6foot draft 17.6-foot beam.
They need to have a travel lift that can handle 75 ton. Looking for a marina to put on the hard and place
back in water when complete. Rent for being on hard from June 2020, until October 2020. We are looking to be able to have electricity and water while on hard.
Allow us to live aboard while on hard and allow us to work on boat while on the hard. We will be doing
mechanical work, wood working, fiberglass and painting. Painting will be with rollers and brushes, no spraying.
Allow us to hire local help, for cleaning and painting etc. would like marina to have showers,
laundry, and bathrooms. We would also like to have access to ladders / scaffolding to use or rent.
Also, would like to have hardware store, lumberyard, auto parts and grocery store nearby.
Grenada, Trinidad, Tobago, or areas south of the hurricane zone

Also concerned with safety issues being this close to Venezuela

We are searching for a marina that can handle a 70-foot motorsailer, 7.6foot draft 17.6-foot beam.
They need to have a travel lift that can handle 75 ton. Looking for a marina to put on the hard and place
back in water when complete. Rent for being on hard from June 2020, until October 2020. We are looking to be able to have electricity and water while on hard.
Allow us to live aboard while on hard and allow us to work on boat while on the hard. We will be doing
mechanical work, wood working, fiberglass and painting. Painting will be with rollers and brushes, no spraying.
Allow us to hire local help, for cleaning and painting etc. would like marina to have showers,
laundry, and bathrooms. We would also like to have access to ladders / scaffolding to use or rent.
Also, would like to have hardware store, lumberyard, auto parts and grocery store nearby.

freedom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 04:09   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Looking for a marina south of hurricane zone

Is Dominican Republic South of the hurricane zone? (I have no idea)

2019 Caribbean Boatyard Update

https://www.allatsea.net/2019-caribb...atyard-update/
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. In February, the IBC Shipyard at Marina Casa de Campo in La Romana took delivery of a new 300-ton marine lift capable of hauling vessels up to 165’ LOA

https://www.allatsea.net/wp-content/...69-600x429.jpg
PUERTO RICO. Four ‘deep keel’ holes for sailboats have been added for extra safety in the Hurrican

https://www.noonsite.com/place/grenada/prickly-bay/

https://www.noonsite.com/place/trinidad-tobago/
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 04:34   #3

Boat Yards in Panama - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

www.cruisersforum.com › forums › boat-yards-in-panama-68512

Sep 20, 2011 - Re: Boat yards in Panama Astillero Nacional, S.A. is a privately own Shipyard located in the fishing port of Vacamonte, just 10 miles off the Pacific side of the Panama Canal. They service yachts, fishing & commercial vessels, tugs and the National Coastguard. They have a quipped with a 240 Ton Syncrolift.Boatyard in the western Carribean?
13 Apr 2018

Marina and shipyard in Panama
17 Mar 2019

Haul Out Pacific side of Panama Canal
13 Jul 2016

DIY Marina near Panama City, FL
11 Jan 2012

Boatyard in the western Carribean? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

www.cruisersforum.com › forums › boatyard-in-the-western-carribea...

Apr 13, 2018 - Rio Dulce, Guatemala: Three boat yards to choose from RAM Marina ... More details below taken from my Western Caribbean Cruising Notes.Caribbean boat storage ?
25 Mar 2018

Where to Leave Boat in Caribbean
18 Feb 2011

Cost of "on the hard" storage in Caribbean
1 May 2012

Is There a Cost of Marina Fees Index for the Caribbean?
23 Aug 2009

More results from www.cruisersforum.com
Old 13-03-2020, 17:35   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

In Panama on the Carib side either Shelter Bay or Linton Bay marinas can accomodate you. Shelter Bay has way more amenities including hotel, resturant, swimming pool, mini-mart, showers, etc...

Both are a bit isolated, but Shelter Bay less so and they have regular shuttle service to Cuatro Altos (near Colon) and easier access to Panama City. Its a much longer drive up the coast to Linton Bay Marina, but they have a bigger lift.

Rio Dulce, Guatemala is a great place for refits. It is not technically out of the hurricane belt, but it is surrounded by mountains so no hurricane has ever found its way into the Rio...ever.

Rio Dulce has a couple of yards that can probably haul you. These are either Abels or RAM Marine. I dont think Nana Juana's trailer is up to the task, but no harm in checking.

The Rio also has a choice of nearby hotels, resturants, marinas.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 17:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Is Dominican Republic South of the hurricane zone? (I have no idea)

2019 Caribbean Boatyard Update

https://www.allatsea.net/2019-caribb...atyard-update/
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. In February, the IBC Shipyard at Marina Casa de Campo in La Romana took delivery of a new 300-ton marine lift capable of hauling vessels up to 165’ LOA

https://www.allatsea.net/wp-content/...69-600x429.jpg
PUERTO RICO. Four ‘deep keel’ holes for sailboats have been added for extra safety in the Hurrican

https://www.noonsite.com/place/grenada/prickly-bay/

https://www.noonsite.com/place/trinidad-tobago/
No, neither is PR.

Google it dude.
Old 13-03-2020, 18:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
In Panama on the Carib side either Shelter Bay or Linton Bay marinas can accomodate you. Shelter Bay has way more amenities including hotel, resturant, swimming pool, mini-mart, showers, etc...

Both are a bit isolated, but Shelter Bay less so and they have regular shuttle service to Cuatro Altos (near Colon) and easier access to Panama City. Its a much longer drive up the coast to Linton Bay Marina, but they have a bigger lift.

Rio Dulce, Guatemala is a great place for refits. It is not technically out of the hurricane belt, but it is surrounded by mountains so no hurricane has ever found its way into the Rio...ever.

Rio Dulce has a couple of yards that can probably haul you. These are either Abels or RAM Marine. I dont think Nana Juana's trailer is up to the task, but no harm in checking.

The Rio also has a choice of nearby hotels, resturants, marinas.
7.6 draft will be a challenge to get over the bar at the Rio Dulce entrance, but it can be done. No draft issues getting into either Linton Bay or Shelter Bay.
Old 13-03-2020, 18:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
No, neither is PR.

Google it dude.

I guess it is sometimes a matter of opinion? (i.e. that it is a bit ill-defined?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-03-14 The 2015 Atlantic Hurricane Season - Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	210578  
Old 13-03-2020, 19:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I guess it is sometimes a matter of opinion? (i.e. that it is a bit ill-defined?)
NOAA has tracked hurricanes since 1851 so hard data is readily available, no need to rely on opinion. You can easily explore this data and derive strike probabilities for different areas/countries.

The above graphic is not very good. For example, both Belize & Panama are designated "Low Risk". Only 1 hurricane has ever made landfall in Panama since NOAA began collecting data in 1851. By contrast about 17 hurricanes have made landfall in Belize in the same period. Not exactly in the same category.

You are correct in that the definition of the "hurricane belt" is not rigid, but the vast majority of hurricanes (Western Hemisphere) form in a band between 8N and 20N latitude. This is commonly referred to as the "hurricane belt". However, hurricanes can and do form and/or travel outside this belt.

I think a better visual is actual NOAA historic data. Which you can find at the link below and explore with their online tool.

https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/

Most hurricanes form in this belt and then follow a W-NW track...so being S of this belt is good. Favoring the S edge of this band is better than being more N as hurricanes tend to track W-NW.

Traditionally cruisers (and insurance companies) consider anywhere S of Grenada to be low risk. This includes Trinidad, N Coast of S America, the ABCs, and Panama. Many store their boats, or even continue to cruise, in this zone in hurricane season. Explore tracks for this area and you will see that hurricanes at these lattitudes are much less common than further N around DR/PR.
Old 13-03-2020, 20:37   #9

Thanks for taking the time to explain that.

We have a similar "cycle belt" to the NW (and NE) of Australia but sometimes cyclones do their own thing, as you would expect. Our cyclone season is pretty well defined too but......

I think if I was planning six month maintenance I could find a marina (even in the cyclone belt) to undertake it. (But here I am expressing an opinion and I haven't even launched my yacht)

PS I responded to the OP as no-one else had in 4 days. Thanks for responding to his query
Old 13-03-2020, 20:53   #10

De nada.

Tags
hurricane