Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2016, 20:33   #16

Boat: 39ft Corbin pilot house
Re: Looking for advice on a major refit

Quotes have come in for hauling on land to Texas. Looks like 5.5 to 6k. I'm looking at keeping her at Galveston as it's a quick 6 hour drive there. I'm also looking at getting a cheap pull behind camper to stay on the island extended weekends and a full week here and there. I will be handling the engine removal and rebuild, the remainder of interior gutting, replacing hatches, installing a hydraulic dual station steering, wiring, and plumbing. I will let the yard do the fiberglass work, paint, decks, interior, and rigging.
battendown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 20:37   #17

I'm leaning towards Pier 77 Marina as they are a DIY and full service yard. If anyone had dealt with this yard good or bad please let me know. Feel free to Pm me if you want to keep it off the board. Thanks!
Old 17-05-2016, 21:38   #18

Boat: Liberty 458

With your background why not do the work yourself?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 16:51   #19

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battendown View Post
Quotes have come in for hauling on land to Texas. Looks like 5.5 to 6k. I'm looking at keeping her at Galveston as it's a quick 6 hour drive there. I'm also looking at getting a cheap pull behind camper to stay on the island extended weekends and a full week here and there. I will be handling the engine removal and rebuild, the remainder of interior gutting, replacing hatches, installing a hydraulic dual station steering, wiring, and plumbing. I will let the yard do the fiberglass work, paint, decks, interior, and rigging.
My 2cents.....I'm also from DFW and have researched my re-fit. I chose Riverside in FT.Pierce, $400 mo working yard and the flights are cheap to and from MIA and FLL (typically $64 each way, then a car rental) shipped most of my tools UPS for $55, easy 2.5 hr flight instead of 6hrs driving. The passage to Galveston looks to be one of the worst anyway you go and if your boat needs work and systems operating to have a smooth go????
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 22:31   #20

Yes the passage to Galveston is more than I trust the boat so I'm having the boat hauled on land to Galveston. Iast two fights on southwest were 110 one way. Add my wife and two kids, hotel, and food and it'll add up quick.

Trust me, I would love to keep the boat in Florida. I'm honest with myself and I know that I won't get as much work done nor have the oversight needed with that much distance between.

There's a couple of reasons why I'm approaching the project in the manner I am and letting a yard do most of the work. One being that I have a business to shore up by putting in systems to keep the business running smoothly in my absence. The other is that I want this refit done in a year or under. With the right yard I believe things can move along much faster than by myself. I don't want to build boats, I want to sail them. I will be involved and will tackle a list of items while the yard works on there's. I plan to spend a good chunk of time in sailing classes and cruise with others while the boat is being refit.

As for the money issue. I hear the input given and I know where you guys are coming from as my own business works much in the same way as marine yards. It's all time and material. ALL of my customers have way more money than their car will sell for after the restoration or customizing is done. For some it's been in the family, others it's a desire to have the car they couldn't have when they were younger. Whatever the reason, they get it done, and are thrilled to drive cross country or go to shows. I won't go into anymore detail other than to say that there are countless cars built all through the states (and the world for that matter) that are over 100k in total costs. The cars that win national shows can go up to 500k. None of them let you live aboard with the ones you love and see the world.
Old 19-05-2016, 02:17   #21
vjm

Do you know how to sail? What is your sailing resume? It sounds like you are hell bent on doing this specific project, so I wish you good luck with it. I think you are choosing to spend a lot more money then you have to to get a boat in shape for what you want to do, but boat projects are very personal things so this may be the best way for you.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit