Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 09:15   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Looking for Advice on Repower

Late to the discussion but I repowered my 40 ft with a beta last year. Love it. To have someone else do all the work cost me about 20K
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 09:34   #32

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
5. Replaced the timming belt, and engine water pump.
Did you replace the idler pulley too?

That single bearing cost me hours of grief.
Old 17-02-2012, 15:28   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Delmarrey, I did not replace the 2 idler pulley's, on my engine one pulley is truly an idler and the other tightens the belt. Both seemed to be in good condition, but if they a prone to go out I would consider it. I guess I realy never considered it but I can guess what would happen if one were to go bad. Realy bad stuff would happen.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 16:27   #34

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Here's a story about high dollar engine parts that might be of interest to everyone:
About 20 years ago I had a 60hp Isuzu engine running an air compressor and water pump on my dive boat. The starter went out. It cost me $3-400 bucks for a new one - maybe more I cant recall - but it was $$$$$$! After it burned out, I decided to try rebuilding it - no one had the parts other than Isuzu.
I new a guy who worked for an auto electric rebuild center. We took the old starter, went in the back room and started pulling starters off the shelf - we found that the starter off an old Chevy 235 6cly engine matched exactly!
So, good by Isuzu - hello chevrolet! The rebuilt chevy starter cost me $35.00!
No more headaches in the starter department.
I have found this to be the case with other foreign parts as well over the years. It seems the Japs just copied what we had already engineered in some areas. I heard that the 4cyl Isuzu diesel was the same block as the chevy 4cyl gas engine that was in the early Nova! Maybe???

In the '70s I worked in a Chevy dealer parts department. There was a relationship between Chevy and Isuzu at the time, which led to the Chevy Luv pickup truck. Which was actually an Isuzu pickup.

I wouldn't doubt the Chevy block being used in the Isuzu diesel. The first versions could have likely been overstock Chevy blocks, as the Nova never sold in large numbers with the 4 cylinder. This was at he beginning of the muscle car era in the US and the V8 was quickly becoming popular in the small cars, with the 6 cylinder being a much more common base engine.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 22:18   #35

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Delmarrey, I did not replace the 2 idler pulley's, on my engine one pulley is truly an idler and the other tightens the belt. Both seemed to be in good condition, but if they a prone to go out I would consider it. I guess I realy never considered it but I can guess what would happen if one were to go bad. Realy bad stuff would happen.
If your not going to replace, I would recommend carrying a spare. It'll give you a warning (squeal) before it goes out. I was up in the Desolation Sound when mine started making noise.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3510.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	37578  
Old 17-02-2012, 23:03   #36

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hi Guys, as a diesel engineer I can assure you that most diesel engines, serviced properly will last for years. Lack of maintainence by the owner is the biggest threat. Perkins are a brilliant long life engine, (mine 26 yrs old). Keep it clean, get into the habit of checking it every morning and you will soon spot anything untoward and be able to fix it immediately. Keep anti freeze or coolant mixture(even in the tropics) it lubricates the water pump and cleans the interior waterways.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 04:37   #37

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

You the man, Rocketman! My brother says the average U.S. boater actually uses his boat 30 hours per year. Your engine may very well last you (and the next owner or owners) for many, many years to come. I wouldn't just assume you've bought a couple of years with all the work you've done.

I did knock some wood after I typed that.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 09:12   #38

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hiya Tia bu,
Yep, your right, I've cruised with my single Perkins 4236 engined motor cruiser through all the Irish Waterways, up the Western Scottish Islands and then from Ireland to France and down through the canals to Spain and back to France and she still has full oil pressure.The only time I had a hint of a problem was in a force 6/7 in the Irish sea and the oil pressure gauge flickered a couple of times. In a rough sea the oil was sloshing in the sump and some came up the engine breather, I now carry a quart bottle handy to put in if it gets rough at sea and happens again. enjoy your cruising, Good Luck
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:23   #39

Thumbs up Re: Looking for Advice on Repower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
I love my betamarine that we repowered with, compare and you will see how they excel.
+1 on the BETAMARINE !!!! PO repowered; I got it at 150 hours. Still feels like a lottery win.

Favorite features: expert, confident service department. Call and ask a question - you'll see. The oil change hand pump - why doesn't every manufacturer have this? They were extremely courteous and delivered my spares order DOCKSIDE when I cruised the ICW through Oriental (I had no car). I didn't ask for delivery, they offered & free "call us towards the end of the day".

"they excel"
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower