Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2008, 21:45   #1

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Looking for non-skid options to sand

I have been using plaster-grade sand, poured on freshly rolled LPU paint, then swept of excess and top coated with additional LPU, for thirty years or more. The last time I stripped the nonskid for repainting, I was amazed at the weight of the paint and sand detritus I removed. I am getting ready to renonskid the cabintop and am interested in something lighter, yet possessing the same grit texture as sand. Sterling Paint (the LPU I have always used) has what appears to be hollow spheres of something that approximate the grit size, the weight is light as a feather, and the material seems to float atop the LPU base coat. But it is quite expensive, and I'm not sure of the durability of the product over time.

I have used other materials in the past. An acrylic industrial nonskid, used on aircraft carriers, gave good texture, but soiled and stained badly, especially if oily products came in contact with it (damned mayonnaisse!). Crushed walnut shells, cork bits, neoprene bits, and other stuff all got tested. Nothing held up like ordinary sand, or stood repainting without significant loss of traction.

I'm hoping the collective experience of the forum can help me find a lighter weight, equally durable, and (hopefully) thrifty substitute for common washed plaster sand.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:51   #2

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24
Roy, if the same schemes been workin well for you for 30 years? I usually use International slip resistant deck finish(or whatever they call it now-used to be epiglass when I was a lad) cos its made for the job & there fore may have an edge on liabilitys if some one slips & breaks thier *ss(not a legal opinion but?). Good luck in finding a suitable finish & all the best in your endevours from Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:38   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I just used some non-skid from home depot. Punched a bunch of holes in a paper cup, and shook it onto the paint. Then added another coat.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:10   #4

Boat: KP 44
non skid

We used Interlux Interdeck on Slackers 30 year old non skid and were very happy with the results. Use the no sand primer first and then apply the Interdeck with a Home Depot foam roller. You will need to thin the Interdeck a bit more than Interlux recomends, about 15%. Work in small batches and use a drill powered mixer. After 6 years of cruising we are going to touch up a few of the high wear areas.

Mike
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:29   #5
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Having had a drywall business in a past life, I put a coat of gelcoat down and keep rolling it till the texture stands up. If you stop rolling too early it lays down too much If you keep rolling too late it gives a sharp finish that will damage skin easily, but it can be knocked down easily . You can get a very professional factory looking nonskid with a little practice and experimentation.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:57   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
You can get a very professional factory looking nonskid with a little practice and experimentation.
I belive that was what the factory finish on our boat was. It works well and it cleans easier than the molded non skid.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 13:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Awlgrip has a non-skid compound that come in course or fine. It is very light weight. Its obviously the right stuff if Awlgrip is using it. I use the coarse on my boat since it is used as a work boat. In retrospect, I should have used the fine stuff because it would have been easier to scrub.

AWLGRIP Griptex Fine Non Skid Particles Quart - SKU# 73012-44

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 15:48   #8

Boat: now floating easy37
walnut grit is also fantastic, and as an added bonus can be sanded off when next it comes time to nonslip your boat
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 17:17   #9

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Soft Sand

I have settled on using soft sand see attached link SoftPoint Industries - SoftSand Rubber Particles for my decks.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 18:32   #10

Boat: CSY 33 Hull #10 - Sonrae
Send a message via Yahoo to alambertfl
I just purchase a CSY 33 that has "alligatoring" in the gelcoat on the deck. What do you all think would be the best procedure for filling these cracks and creating another "orange Peel" type non skid surface? On previous boats, I have sanded, filled in with West System and also used sand. My experience with sand has been skinned feet, knees, elbows, etc., if one were to slip. The other concern is for children doing the same thing. I liked forsailbyowner's idea of continous rolling of gelcoat until it sets up. However, I was wondering if there might be anything that might be sprayed on that would leave a texture similar to the orange peel finish used on drywall. I would appreciate all of experiences on this as I am a newbie to the forum. Thanks in advance
Sonny L
alambertfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:42   #11

Boat: Westsail 32
Have a look at Durabak urethane coatings
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote