Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 22:01   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Looking for Sailomat 601 Manual

Does anyone have a Sailomat 601 Manual that they could lazer copy or better yet scan and email to me? I just bought a used unit and need to rebuild it...Thanx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f3c.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	31414  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 05:53   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Looking for Sailomat 601 Manual

Ok...Found one...thanx
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 06:49   #3

Boat: Morgan 321

Hi Celestialsailor,

I just came across this youtube of one in action. It might complement your manual.

RD-surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 06:33   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt Trintella 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Does anyone have a Sailomat 601 Manual that they could lazer copy or better yet scan and email to me? I just bought a used unit and need to rebuild it...Thanx
Hello - I know this an old post, but was the manual you found 'electronic' like .pdf etc.? If so, I'm in the same position... can you help me also?

pburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 14:51   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Have you had a look at this site? SAILOMAT 601

There is a site that offers free downloads but as the saying goes "there is no such thing as a free lunch". They require registration and my experience is that these sites download malware/spyware as well.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 15:30   #6

Yes, thank you, I've seen the 601 site. I does have general information, and probably enough to get the dimensions I need, but its not got any service / rebuilding info. I expect they would like you to buy a new one!!!! lol

Not seen the "free" download sites that publish anything for these though.
Old 20-01-2021, 02:36   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, pburger.

Sailomat Self-Steering Technical Data ➥ SAILOMAT 601

SELF-STEERING UNDER SAIL - Autopilots and Wind-steering Systems” ~ by Peter Christian Förthmann
https://www.bluemoment.com/downloads/selfsteering.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 03:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburger View Post
Yes, thank you, I've seen the 601 site. I does have general information, and probably enough to get the dimensions I need, but its not got any service / rebuilding info. I expect they would like you to buy a new one!!!! lol

I rebuilt mine W/O a manual. They're pretty simple--just take apart and clean and lube the bearings (don't drop the little balls in the water!). Put it back together just as it was.
The manual is more necessary for installation--when I was finally loaned a photocopied one, I saw the failures in my installation and corrected them.
Once properly installed, I think all the tweaks that can be done are obvious: push rod length, counterbalance adjustment, vane adjustment--it's combinations of those that you'll be fiddling with every time you use the vane until you find the sweet spot.
Old 20-01-2021, 04:35   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburger View Post

deleted
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 04:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
deleted
Got your PM thanks :-)
Old 20-01-2021, 04:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, pburger.

Sailomat Self-Steering Technical Data ➥ SAILOMAT 601

SELF-STEERING UNDER SAIL - Autopilots and Wind-steering Systems” ~ by Peter Christian Förthmann
https://www.bluemoment.com/downloads/selfsteering.pdf
Thank you, and Thanks for those links - the S-S Uder Sail is an interesting read - still going through it. Much appreciated.
Old 20-01-2021, 04:59   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I rebuilt mine W/O a manual. They're pretty simple--just take apart and clean and lube the bearings (don't drop the little balls in the water!). Put it back together just as it was.
The manual is more necessary for installation--when I was finally loaned a photocopied one, I saw the failures in my installation and corrected them.
Once properly installed, I think all the tweaks that can be done are obvious: push rod length, counterbalance adjustment, vane adjustment--it's combinations of those that you'll be fiddling with every time you use the vane until you find the sweet spot.
Hi Ben, thank you for your notes above, much appreciated. That is exactly the good news I was hoping to hear! I'm confident that this is going to be a success story!
Thanks again, Paul
Old 20-01-2021, 05:24   #13

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

This is my favorite vane gear of all the ones ive used... its been a while but i might be able to answer some questions... the only reak idiosyncracy with this gear is that the push rod is threaded into the upper end so if you spin the airvane a number of times the pushrod length become longer or shorter and effects performance.....
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2021, 07:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
This is my favorite vane gear of all the ones ive used... its been a while but i might be able to answer some questions... the only reak idiosyncracy with this gear is that the push rod is threaded into the upper end so if you spin the airvane a number of times the pushrod length become longer or shorter and effects performance.....
Thanks for your remarks and offer of help. I've just read a report on various wind vane systems, and yes that was mentioned! As it happens, the push rod is the one part of my second hand system that is missing. I will see if it is possible to address this issue during fabrication of the replacement part. But I glad yo pointed it out or I might not have found out till it was too late!!
Old 20-01-2021, 15:28   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
I took this as a convenient way to adjust the pushrod length! I assumed it was done that way on purpose.
To the OP: The most critical bits on installation were that the paddle needs to be only about 3/4 of the way in the water (I shortened mine's shaft with a hacksaw), and that the lines that leave the swinging arm on their way to the tiller must both depart the arm at the exact same angle. With my offset installation I had to jury-rig a strut from one side of my stern to lead the line correctly.

Tags
manuals, sailomat