Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2023, 17:51   #76

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Low tech topside paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
For speed and ease we used self priming water based exterior acrylic/latex on our roof and funnel, eaves and extensive rails.

Would I recommend it? Yes, no, maybe
Minimum prep and no primer
It solved a problem at the time and 7 years later is still doing its job with no real sign of fail.

I know what you mean.

This afternoon I was washing off the something like 10 year old paint on my dagger boards. It looks no different than the day it was applied. It just had dirt on it.

All it was was the cheapest exterior latex paint from Home Depot or Lowe’s.

I honestly don’t get what all the fuss is over paint. Looks no different than the day it was applied.

Since I can’t do any sanding of the epoxy, I’m going to be filling in areas on the board that are not looking smooth with one of the ‘esters and trying some Benjamin Moore Advance waterborne alkyd paint. It’s made for doors on houses and outdoor glossy things
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2023, 13:53   #77

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We've had sections of the rails look shabby and given them a recoat after about 6.5 years of use.

Did 100 ft of timber handrail in about 1.5 hours including prep

Words and pics here
Post 10
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...8&postcount=10
And end result in post 11
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...9&postcount=11

Again, probably not the perfect solution for some
But define perfect
For me it's minimum coin and effort for maximum result.
1.5 hours of work, $25 worth of product, drink beer.

I'd hate to think what a "pro" would charge to sand and do multiple coats of varnish in 100ft of rail
And then again the year after, and again, and again
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 06:03   #78

just a quick one: "White wash" was a solution of water and lime sometimes with a binder such as eggwhites, it had the effect of both coating the wood surface with a semi opaque white stain and bleaching the underlying wood. In addition the lime would kill most bacterial and fungal agents for a good length of time. However it was caustic to the eyes, skin etc and soiled easily.
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 06:30   #79

You know, I think there is one thing that we missed.

Wrapping it!

The vinyl wrap megayachts and all those center console fishing boats. Obvio it works. And the wraps last 10 years before fading out.

Seems like the perfect solution to this problem.

I mean what’s 2 part linear polyurethane paint? It’s a plastic polymer that hasn’t been combined yet you put on wet so it adheres better.

Why not put it on already polymerized with a sticky adhesive? No drips, no runs, no fish eyes.
Old 21-08-2023, 06:56   #80

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Dock mate had his boat wrapped last year, and it looked fantastic! Rails, deck house, etc. One trip to Alaska and back, and the wrap is beginning to peel up at the edges . . . . still looks okay from a distance, but will look like crap in another year. And it wasn't inexpensive. Maybe it was just the application/installer, but it doesn't seem worth it to me, at least from this one example.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 07:07   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Dock mate had his boat wrapped last year, and it looked fantastic! Rails, deck house, etc. One trip to Alaska and back, and the wrap is beginning to peel up at the edges . . . . still looks okay from a distance, but will look like crap in another year. And it wasn't inexpensive. Maybe it was just the application/installer, but it doesn't seem worth it to me, at least from this one example.
It’s definitely down to the wrap that you buy and the application. Sounds like they did a lousy job. Just like paint. It can go very wrong.

The stuff is incredible actually. Just look at all the boats around you with wraps. Don’t look at boats like ours, look at all of those little center consoles that are out fishing. Almost every single one is vinyl wrap. At least in Florida ha ha

But that’s also it. Even if it didn’t last as long as paint it’s very much worth it. It costs way less and takes like 1/10 of the time to apply.

Definitely a solid contender for non toxic topsides that look good for years.
Old 21-08-2023, 12:15   #82

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

My biggest concern with a wrap would be around scratches and dings. Eventually they happen, and I don't think wraps are particularly repairable.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 12:17   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
My biggest concern with a wrap would be around scratches and dings. Eventually they happen, and I don't think wraps are particularly repairable.
True. They are prone to damage.

But I can keep ahead of that. And if it needs a new wrap? Not such a big deal as needing new paint.

Other than hurricanes (which destroyed the brand new 2 part linear polyurethane anyway), I don’t tend to touch things with my boat.

I’m an anchoring kind of guy

Tags
paint