Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2020, 05:10   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Main traveller, does it need all that mechanical advantage ?

My main traveller runs across the top of the Targa and has 4 or 5:1 advantage then the main sheet pullies sit on top of that with 5:1. I have a winch at each end of the traveller and if I do need them the winches don't seem to be working hard so I feel they can handle more load.

I was thinking of trying 2:1 to get rid of the tangles and improve the speed of running the traveller across.

Will I regret it one day, I can imagine the traveller might just race across from one side to the other, self tacking jib style if I don't secure the line.
Old 27-08-2020, 05:56   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Main traveller, does it need all that mechanical advantage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
My main traveller runs across the top of the Targa and has 4 or 5:1 advantage then the main sheet pullies sit on top of that with 5:1. I have a winch at each end of the traveller and if I do need them the winches don't seem to be working hard so I feel they can handle more load.

I was thinking of trying 2:1 to get rid of the tangles and improve the speed of running the traveller across.

Will I regret it one day, I can imagine the traveller might just race across

from one side to the other, self tacking jib style if I don't secure the line.

Also consider one size smaller line. Fat line is a common cause of trouble. But it does need to work in the jammers.

My PDQ 32/34 is 3:1, hand tensioned, and in a blow you really have to lean on it with both hands and weight. My F-24 is 3:1 and I trim with one hand.

Can't ease it back to 4:1 and 3:1 first, and see how you like it? Test it right to lifting a hull; less than that doesn't prove anything.
Old 27-08-2020, 07:00   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I agree. My blocks 4:1 are necessary as is the winch. Lines are borderline fat for the hardware. With care, I ca keep them straight. These may make it to smaller Spectra replacement some day.

Also, a tiny bit of twist goes a long way.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 06:50   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Dave, your image of a free-flight traveler is charming.

Remember that a mechanical engineer specified that 4:1, including in the hardware. The mainsheet pullies are not relevant, since the entire load is transferred to the traveler. That entire load is then transferred to the track of the traveler. The 4:1 might be there to limit the load on the traveler line as much as for your being able to position it with the winch. A single strand, I think you would agree, would break. Loudly.

Ergo, approach with due caution, and as Thinwater recommends, lift a hull before you conclude that a reduced-advantage system is OK. Anything less invites an OH SH*T moment on your next sail into weather.
Old 28-08-2020, 07:57   #5

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Dave, your image of a free-flight traveler is charming.

Remember that a mechanical engineer specified that 4:1, including in the hardware. The mainsheet pullies are not relevant, since the entire load is transferred to the traveler. That entire load is then transferred to the track of the traveler. The 4:1 might be there to limit the load on the traveler line as much as for your being able to position it with the winch. A single strand, I think you would agree, would break. Loudly.

Ergo, approach with due caution, and as Thinwater recommends, lift a hull before you conclude that a reduced-advantage system is OK. Anything less invites an OH SH*T moment on your next sail into weather.
I seriously doubt a single line would snap, the side load isn't anything near the vertical load on the mainsheet. The multi part purchase is there to being the loads down to human scale and to reduce the size of the winch needed to trim the line.
I like the suggestion to try reducing the purchase ratio one at a time.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:04   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Roy should main sheet and traveler. When it’s blowing, we need all four parts and the winch low speed to move it. The main on a cat is relatively huge compared to my tall skinny blade. I wouldn’t change anything. No such thing as too much power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23975DDA-D3FD-4393-8A55-92C74E6C7D46.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	222146  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:16   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

FWIW the traveler on our similar sized boat/sail has a 2:1 setup with winch and works fine for us. AFAIK it came from the factory that way. 10mm traveler line and that's what the blocks are sized for.

Mainsheet is 4:1 and needs it when really honking along.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:17   #8

Boat: Fisher 31, 9.4 M

"

Roy should main sheet and traveler.

What does the last sentence mean?
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:20   #9

With modern line you can definitely downsize the line. Use a line that has a nylon cover and an SK78 dyneema core. 8mm is quite strong. You may want to make it continuous instead of having two ends. That way as you move the traveler the tail is always the same length. Endura braid is good for winches and is not too bad on the hand but not ideal. Best on a winch.
kirklkjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:26   #10

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Before you change anything, try removing the traveller lines and soaking them in a bucket of fresh water with ample fabric softener. Two day soak minimum. That should soften the lines dramatically. Then stretch out the lines to dry, removing any remaining kinks. Rethread the now soft dry traveller lines.

You don't need a real windy day to demonstrate why the multi-part traveller lines. Go out in 10 knots of wind and turn downwind to a broad reach. Let the traveller all the way out and bring in the mainsheet to trim the leach. Now, remove the leeward traveller sheet, hold it in your hand and jibe. You will likely find that even in ten knots of wind, with a multi purchase traveller set up, you are unable to control the speed of the car, with out a winch, let alone pull the car up to the centerline.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:29   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Guyrj33, you are right and I apologize. I was picturing all the load coming to the line, when most of it is going to go directly to the track.
Old 28-08-2020, 13:33   #12

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Have you ever done an accidental gybe in a moderate wind? You will be thankful for that extra purchase power. I had one happen to me last February in Sea of Cortez. When that boom whipped across from port to Starboard I was lucky it didn’t destroy something. Those extra windings give strength to that connection between boom and traveler.

Another thing is you might want to take apart your traveler for cleaning and lubrication. It is high on my list of to do projects next trip down. My sled in the traveler has become balky when tacking or running and changing gybe angles.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 14:10   #13

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

@ Dave-S: My main is most likely quite a bit smaller than yours but that said, I have 2:1 on the traveler and can easily haul the traveller to weather even in a strong(ish) blow. 4:1 will see a lot of line lying around, something I try to avoid.

Be careful of too-thin lines though, they’re hard on the hands when the pressure’s on.

Another thing I try to avoid is having either side of the traveller not secured (see crash-gybe comments). If the traveller position is securely pinned down, crash gybes will have little effect on the traveller tackle.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 14:39   #14

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

You don’t need to go into drastic non return changes. You can use the existing blocks and try 1:4, 1;3 etc. and see how this works with and without the winches in different conditions.
Old 28-08-2020, 14:43   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post

Will I regret it one day,
I believe you will

Tags
cal, mechanic