Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2020, 10:24   #16

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: Making Sails

I found this short video of the Gosport loft of North sails.
Some of the machines rotate in place, some move on rails while the sails stay still. Enjoy!

Old 27-07-2020, 10:48   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

the trick is have a good sewing machine....mom's machine in the closet won't cut it....you will have to sew several layers together at the 3 corners, seams, etc....you need a good sewing machine designed for this purpose.....oh yes...and room...lotsa room....and a helper....feeding, folding, pulling....a nice big table is a necessity, etc....and lotsa spare needles, as you are likely to break several if this is your first try...and proper thread....and some handwork is to be expected...a good leather palm is required here......good luck !!
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 05:25   #18

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
Thanks everyone for the awesome info! I now have a stack of research for the next few weeks

Free Rider, when you do finally get to make it down to the boat I'd be very interested to hear how both of those sails work for you.
Well it has been a year and a half away from the boat but I managed to cross the border and spend summer on the boat. I'm very happy with the spinnaker (Sailrite kit) and the mizzen drifter (designed and cut by me). The spinnaker is obviously a very good addition to my sail inventory. The sock works perfectly. I did not use the mizzen drifter as much as it is a more specialized sail. So the jury is still out on its overall usefulness. As for the shape I have a few details to correct. I made the luff and leech a bit to tight and also there is one panel junction that I need to correct. But they are very easy to make and that is the beauty of DIY sails : you can tweek them to your liking as much as you want. Below are links to short videos. You can view them in HD.

Spinnaker I:https://youtu.be/wl__3RjqYJI
SPinnaker II : https://youtu.be/1r-z2eiRvoE

mizzen drifter :https://youtu.be/PWv4BW396WU
Free Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 08:06   #19

I have a Sailrite sail kit for my Laser on my bench now. Comparatively, it’s cheaper to buy the sail ( none Laser reg) than the kit given the time needed. Having a Sailrite machine and fully set up, one has to go with the kit...it’s just the right thing to do and it’s something I’ve been wanting to accomplish.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails