Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2022, 06:20   #1

Marelon above the waterline xperiences vs bronze.

Have a bunch of deck drains/scuppers that I need to add and replace. There will be no seacock just a deck drain w a barb maybe 1ft of hose to a mushroom through hull with a barb that is above the water line. ( I have a downeaster 32 it has gunnels with a caprail rather then a toe rail. So I need deck drains but the outlets are well above the water line). I always use bronze below the waterline. Money's tight right now and the forespars marelon are priced right. Any one have any thing bad to say about this ?
Mg451 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:44   #2

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: Marelon above the waterline xperiences vs bronze.

Marelon should be fine for that application. Just make sure they're the real black Marelon fittings, not the white nylon type. Being high above water the sun will shine on them, and any kind of white plastic degrades rapidly in UV. Bronze might be a bit stronger and above water stainless is also an option and would look better. But if money's tight and Marelon's cheaper, go for it. Many people prefer them even below water, they're not subject to corrosion.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:03   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Marelon comes in white as well as black. Still much stronger than the white nylon crap.

Personally, I put in Marelon for everything I touch above the waterline and bronze below. Many of my above waterline thru hulls are in the boot stripe, so the Marelon ones are easy to paint and blend right in.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 14:26   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

We were horrified to find a Marelon flanged seacock frozen open below the waterline. We’ve been building boats for 50+ years. We call the company who does nothing...not a dime, not even replacement parts.
I don’t care what any posters will tell you. We have one simple opinion. Plastic..any type...cannot be relied upon. What is above the waterline now may be under the water line for numerous reasons.
Our opinion...plastic is junk.
Captain Mark and the manatee crew of professional boatbuilders.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 14:32   #5

I usally end up cursing the use of anything plastic..
Mg451 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 15:20   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Marelon above the waterline xperiences vs bronze.

I would use Marelon above and below the waterline, no metal to corrode. We’ve never had a problem with Marelon as long as we work the sea cock occasionally, something thats recommended with both Marelon and bronze.
Only problem we’ve ever had was a bronze through hull that almost snapped of from corrosion, something that would’ve never happened with Marelon.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bronze, enc, water