Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 08:35   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Marina: we want to move you and you're paying

[QUOTE=Dockhead;1960470 What does your contract say? Is it for moving or for re-launching you? If it's really for moving you, and there's nothing in your contract about it, then I would politely argue with them about it. If it's in your contract, then pay it and forget about it.[/QUOTE]

And this is the bottom line. If you have an agreement to stay in the yard until a certain date and the agreement does not give the yard the right to charge for moving the boat for their convenience then you have a good argument for not paying the fee.

Lacking the above or a way to prove them you have no legal grounds to dispute the charge.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 08:21   #32

Boat: Marieholm Bruck M26

No way!! No money to pay is his problem if they had not space!!!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Regatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 08:35   #33

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

..you should get a brand new 78 Hylas and paid on big time.. jokes aside, relocate boats is pretty normal in a yard and never involve any cost for owners..

PD: Finish your work asap and move away.. seems like a not good place to stay..
Old 16-11-2015, 09:50   #34

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I worked in a yard for several years and I saw all kinds of things happen. But I never saw where the owner was charged to move a boat unless there was some overriding reason. I have seen where some owners became a royal PITA and the yard would just rather they leave than stay. I have also seen a (very) few yards run by little petty dictators that were either clueless, or just plain greedy and could get away with it when they had more business than they could service.

But overall, I would be upset if they charged me for moving. But if they had to move all your personal workstands and spare parts and the genset under the tarp or whatever then I could see them wanting to charge you. I have seen a very few owners really abuse the privilege of letting the owner DIY in the yard, with messy areas under or even away from the boat. And, they don't live close so they are only there infrequently. You may have been in that category. Moving a boat is a lot different than having two extra guys have to haul the other stuff by hand. It would definitely not be part of a deal.

I do agree 100% that every owner should befriend the guys and gals who work in the yards, from the menial labor guys, the foremen, the service writers, office staff, parts people, owner. I have seen some owners get away with bloody murder just from being extra, and genuinely, nice. I have also seen the opposite, many times, when some rich dude, or some cheap owner who wants everything free or at a big discount, comes in and makes lots of demands and treats everyone like dirt. They don't get any slack. From what the OP said he is not like that but just FWIW.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 12:31   #35
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I worked in a yard for several years and I saw all kinds of things happen. But I never saw where the owner was charged to move a boat unless there was some overriding reason. I have seen where some owners became a royal PITA and the yard would just rather they leave than stay. I have also seen a (very) few yards run by little petty dictators that were either clueless, or just plain greedy and could get away with it when they had more business than they could service.

But overall, I would be upset if they charged me for moving. But if they had to move all your personal workstands and spare parts and the genset under the tarp or whatever then I could see them wanting to charge you. I have seen a very few owners really abuse the privilege of letting the owner DIY in the yard, with messy areas under or even away from the boat. And, they don't live close so they are only there infrequently. You may have been in that category. Moving a boat is a lot different than having two extra guys have to haul the other stuff by hand. It would definitely not be part of a deal.

I do agree 100% that every owner should befriend the guys and gals who work in the yards, from the menial labor guys, the foremen, the service writers, office staff, parts people, owner. I have seen some owners get away with bloody murder just from being extra, and genuinely, nice. I have also seen the opposite, many times, when some rich dude, or some cheap owner who wants everything free or at a big discount, comes in and makes lots of demands and treats everyone like dirt. They don't get any slack. From what the OP said he is not like that but just FWIW.

Is your Goldenwave the one on Shilshole G dock?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 16:16   #36

I believe the previous owners used to moor at Shilshole Marina. I bought her at Swiftsure Yachts where I think she was for at least a year.
Old 16-11-2015, 17:08   #37
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I believe the previous owners used to moor at Shilshole Marina. I bought her at Swiftsure Yachts where I think she was for at least a year.

Nice. That one was on G too (neighbors). Nice boat!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 08:23   #38

Thanks! I'm pretty proud of her. The previous owner took very good care of the boat. She gets lots of compliments. There are a few issues to deal with, just like any boat, but she sails really well. She backs up in to a slip like a pig though with huge prop walk. But every boat has it pluses and minuses. I just spun her around to handle the huge winds we have here in the winter.
Old 17-11-2015, 09:53   #39

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Balme View Post
Had similar thing happen to us about 7 or 8 years ago. They wanted $400 to move me because we were not ready to launch as expected and they needed to get a boat out that was behind ours. In the end a bottle of Scotch to the right person settled the debt!
That's ridiculous. If they have to move your boat because of a convenience to them, they should just move it at no cost to you. Heck, they are inconveniencing you!

I have heard all sorts of crazy rip-offs happening during haul out but this takes the cake. Everyone wonders why customer dissatisfaction with boat yards is so high, well the PO shows a perfect example.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 11:14   #40

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I'm not taking the yard's side but there are two sides to every story. I may have missed it, was it a bunch the dough or a small fee. Was it moving the boat or it and a bunch of other things on the hard used for the work on the boat? The extending of the original time on the hard may have been good will on the yard's behalf, having a repeat customer booked for that spot?

I think it like beating a dead horse. If we had both sides we could select a jury.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote