Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2019, 18:55   #16

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Marine ply or PVC paneling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia Traveler View Post
How are you guys attaching the headliner(whether pvc or foam?) Just bought a boat that has plastic sliding door vertical shades as headliner! I was toying with doing Pine or Cedar tongue and groove but as good as it would look and no condensation untreated I'm worried about weight. Thanks John
Whatever you use they should be removable. Too many times where you need to run wires, search for leaks or install new deck hardware.
Wide velcro on battens works well.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 19:35   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

4X10 stipple PVC/glass fibre sheets from Home Depot. Stored for several weeks before installation 4yrs ago.

Every bulkhead in the vessel covered with it.
No smell of outgassing, no problems.... full time liveaboards.
Old 17-01-2019, 06:42   #18

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia Traveler View Post
How are you guys attaching the headliner(whether pvc or foam?) Just bought a boat that has plastic sliding door vertical shades as headliner! I was toying with doing Pine or Cedar tongue and groove but as good as it would look and no condensation untreated I'm worried about weight. Thanks John
I am personally doing wester red cedar.

I bought 3 1/2" x 3/4" x 6' boards, cut 1 1/2" strips out of it and put a 1/4" round over on them. These are then being fastened to ply with reflectix insulation.

I will say I give others credit for being able to go with the whole plastic white sheet look, but not my style, especially since this is my home full time.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 08:29   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Well this is a timely thread for me. I will be doing a lot of interior fitting on the Roberts 44 and I was considering starboard but it seems a bit expensive. The boat could easily carry the weight of solid wood paneling but we have extremely voracious termites in New Orleans and I have no desire to feed them or furnish them with a home. I am leaning toward fiberglass bathroom/shower panels at the moment.

As far as outgassing goes, boats tend to be very well ventilated. My gut feeling is that anything sold in the U.S. by a big box retailer for HOME INTERIOR use is probably not going to kill me or mine. YMMV. You can make a case for ANYTHING being bad for you. And then wear it or ingest it or sleep under it until you die from it at age 97.
Old 17-01-2019, 08:38   #20

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Had a friend do his entire interior with 3/8" Azek PVC board. It's light, epoxy fillets hold well, and once painted, looks like a perfectly flat/rounded surface (wood grain side down). If purchased in quantity, price was around $40 a sheet.

Some of the thin 1/8" fiberglass bathroom panels don't hold their shape well when bent and get wavy once installed.

Matt
Old 17-01-2019, 09:08   #21

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post

Wind River is doing the deck on his yacht and he is using a board that is a replacement for Plyboard. It is a mixture of glass and resin. (I don't think the product is sold in Australia)

Maybe you could look at his thread which he posted within the last two months? I don't know whether this is the product.
https://www.machinedesign.com/plasti...native-plywood

Clive
I used Coosa Bluewater 26 for my deck core. (Coosa Composites, LLC - Manufacture of high-density, fiberglass-reinforced)

It probably isn't what the OP is looking for. It would be great to make a bulkhead out of but would need to be skinned with something cosmetic in his case. Also,it doesn't hold a screw very well so anything attached to it should be through bolted or install a resin filled plugs where the screw will go.
Old 17-01-2019, 14:06   #22

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Had a friend do his entire interior with 3/8" Azek PVC board. It's light, epoxy fillets hold well, and once painted, looks like a perfectly flat/rounded surface (wood grain side down). If purchased in quantity, price was around $40 a sheet.

Some of the thin 1/8" fiberglass bathroom panels don't hold their shape well when bent and get wavy once installed.

Matt
Smart idea, and it's easily cut.

Would definitely recommend take a look at these options as well if someone's on the market. Possibly could get just the white azek and be done.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 15:05   #23

To the poster that put up the toxic materials in PVC..

PVC is used in interior construction all the time. Lots of PVC trim etc.

PVC is also used extensively in water lines.
You more than likely drink water that has run through PVC lines... Even purified water is run through PVC lines after purification....
yardpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 15:12   #24

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

in CA, PVC is strictly used for irrigation(outdoor) and not drinking(indoor), and my RO discharges to copper. so lets not assume facts not in evidence...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 15:18   #25
cruiser

"Marine ply or PVC paneling?"

I would use Coosa Board.
Gruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 13:59   #26

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
4X10 stipple PVC/glass fibre sheets from Home Depot. Stored for several weeks before installation 4yrs ago.

Every bulkhead in the vessel covered with it.
No smell of outgassing, no problems.... full time liveaboards.
Yeah, that's one of the products I've seen. It has a hard enamel surface. The White PVC beaded panels, look more like PVC pipe with a matte surface. The obvious advantage is ease of use, waterproofness and lightness. If I used beaded wood paneling, I'd have to paint or stain it and as someone else noted, there are glues and resins involved that could pose other risks.

I'm old. So, I'm not so concerned with long exposure. Just immediate risk. I'd rather die of old age than chemically induced cancers...

The fact that PVC is "approved" in use for housing and living spaces gives me NO comfort since Asbestos was also an "approved" building material for decades.

I'm remodeling an old, heavy cruiser, so weight is a secondary consideration. I'm ripping out wood that is rotted in some places from water intrusion. Even Marine ply will rot over enough time and exposure. I'd like the new interior to be pleasant in appearance and easy to maintain.

But one thing for sure, I don't want any plastic smells. I've very sensitive to those. Wood, stains, resin and most paints I can tolerate. Heavy plastic or artificial odors you get from many of the new boats and campers are obnoxious.

I would hope that all dissipates over time.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 20:14   #27

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I am personally doing wester red cedar.

I bought 3 1/2" x 3/4" x 6' boards, cut 1 1/2" strips out of it and put a 1/4" round over on them. These are then being fastened to ply with reflectix insulation.

I will say I give others credit for being able to go with the whole plastic white sheet look, but not my style, especially since this is my home full time.
Sounds cool. Can you post some pix of your installation?

Appearance is definitely a major consideration.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 20:47   #28

The issue with phthalates in items like PVC is particularly relevant if you have small children, especially babies and toddlers whos systems aren't developed yet. Think of all the PVC flooring that is being laid these days and the kids crawling around on it. It is not something that slowly fades away but is continuously in play. Over the coming years, you will find that items like this will be treated quite differently as people start to learn the ramifications of their materials choices for where they reside. For older adults, it's much less of an issue as any damage is likely to have already been done.

Some interesting work in this area is being undertaken by a range of researchers and universities based on testing done in the HOMEChem experiment.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine