Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 18:09   #1

Mariner 28 (Canning) DIY Standing Rigging

I plan to install fold up mast steps on a 34 feet Schaffer & Spar.

Question #1: What are the things should I be concern about?

Question #2: Approximately how many steps do I need to purchase for this size mast?

Question #3: For mast climbing, which is best, chair sling or body harness?
Latecomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:03   #2

Boat: Hunter 37C

1) Be concerned with them failing a few years down the line due to corrosion and not knowing until you step on it. I’ve heard a few stories of that happening.
-Is your mast thick enough to get more than a few threads when you tap for screws or are you going to use rivets? Either way your going to have dissimilar metals..
- also chafe during headsail tacks
-catching lines

2) whatever your comfortable with. A step every 8”,10”12” it’s your choice. Figure out a comfortable step then divide that into mast height. ( the amount needed can be quite costly actually)
3) best I’ve found for mast climbing is the Mast Mate removable ladder. It’s wonderful. No chafe, no corrosion, and can lend it to others if needed. Very simple, secure and the best part it’s affordable.
- I do a lot of mast climbs and I always bring my mast mate and a traditional bosun chair (as a backup and if it will be a long job the seat is nice). The mast mate has a linesman belt with pocket for safety.
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:15   #3
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: Mariner 28 (Canning) DIY Standing Rigging

i came across these searching which look like one of the more robust folding steps out there. i think im going to buy a couple and see what the build quality is. the side pins that hold the step open look pretty robust. they dont say what alloy they are made from though so may need a isolation backing plate.

im looking to do the same to my mast at some point.

https://www.baselinemarine.com/shopd...cat=Mastwalker

https://www.baselinemarine.com/mw/mastwalker.html
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 18:16   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
they dont say what alloy they are made from though so may need a isolation backing plate.

im looking to do the same to my mast at some point.

https://www.baselinemarine.com/shopd...cat=Mastwalker

https://www.baselinemarine.com/mw/mastwalker.html
They specify Almag 35 aluminum alloy.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 20:10   #5
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
They specify Almag 35 aluminum alloy.
ah thanks. i was in a hurry, didn't see that. that makes it easier i guess, no isolation plate required.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:19   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If you have mast steps, why do you need a chair? chairs are clunky and awkward and restrict movement (try climbing up steps with one tied to your butt). Better to secure a lightweight basic climbing harness, and have a tether you can put 'round the mast when you reach your working spot and then lean back on like a linesman. It's good to have two steps at equal height on opposite sides at the masthead, so you can stand comfortably on both feet.
I would avoid mast steps myself, and get a reliable up-the-mast-kit I was comfortable with. There's endless threads on this forum about what that may be: the takeaway is that there are many choices.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Ohm View Post
1) Be concerned with them failing a few years down the line due to corrosion and not knowing until you step on it. I’ve heard a few stories of that happening.
-Is your mast thick enough to get more than a few threads when you tap for screws or are you going to use rivets? Either way your going to have dissimilar metals..
- also chafe during headsail tacks
-catching lines

2) whatever your comfortable with. A step every 8”,10”12” it’s your choice. Figure out a comfortable step then divide that into mast height. ( the amount needed can be quite costly actually)
3) best I’ve found for mast climbing is the Mast Mate removable ladder. It’s wonderful. No chafe, no corrosion, and can lend it to others if needed. Very simple, secure and the best part it’s affordable.
- I do a lot of mast climbs and I always bring my mast mate and a traditional bosun chair (as a backup and if it will be a long job the seat is nice). The mast mate has a linesman belt with pocket for safety.
Sailing Ohm,

Thanks for the reality check. I do concur with your perspective; I have already ordered my Harken's Bosun Chair, and will look for a mast mate.

Fair winds,

George
Old 11-11-2020, 05:16   #8

Talking Re: Mariner 28 (Canning) DIY Standing Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
If you have mast steps, why do you need a chair? chairs are clunky and awkward and restrict movement (try climbing up steps with one tied to your butt). Better to secure a lightweight basic climbing harness, and have a tether you can put 'round the mast when you reach your working spot and then lean back on like a linesman. It's good to have two steps at equal height on opposite sides at the masthead, so you can stand comfortably on both feet.
I would avoid mast steps myself, and get a reliable up-the-mast-kit I was comfortable with. There's endless threads on this forum about what that may be: the takeaway is that there are many choices.
Benz,

you almost cause me to spill my coffee I found your comment to be extremely hilarious...still having difficulty containing myself...

You see, I no longer have the strength and agility as in the days of my early youth, and I totally get where you are coming from with the linesman approach; which, would probably allow for greater flexibility. Anyhow, I will avoid the mast steps, and go with the mast mate/chair combo.
Thank you very much for your input, and the great sense of humor (hadn't laugh so hard in a longtime)

Cheers!

George
Old 11-11-2020, 05:20   #9

Thanks to all. Great information. You Guys rock, and seldom fail. Keep up the good works!
Old 11-11-2020, 05:29   #10

Boat: Hunter 37C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latecomer View Post
Sailing Ohm,

Thanks for the reality check. I do concur with your perspective; I have already ordered my Harken's Bosun Chair, and will look for a mast mate.

Fair winds,

George

Glad to help.
FYI I found my mast mate on Craigslist for only like $100. Every now and then the official Mast mate site sells returned or used ones also.
Great piece of equipment. We’ve become quite popular in our anchorages because of it.

It’s really not that difficult or awkward to climb the ladder with a chair and I do it frequently.

If I’m going to be at the top of the mast for a bit, if I have to work on a spreader, or if it’s extra rough, I’ll use the mast mate and a bosun chair. The mast mate has two level steps at the top but it’s nice to sit in the chair if you’ll be up there a bit or obviously need to swing to the outside of a spreader.
I usually have an on deck helper/spotter (usually my wife) who just keeps the bosun chair from going slack (just a little tension under my butt). It takes a little more team coordination coming down actually but not difficult.
Sailing Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:02   #11

Lovely! Hope I'll get lucky on the price. I will check with Craigslist before I look elsewhere. Again, thank you very much.

Have a Super day!

George

Tags
DIY, marine, rigging