Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2020, 04:01   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Mast Climbing Techniques

Could anyone comment on the technique being employed here?

Starting at about 19:00.

I rather hate climbing my mast. Working at the top is scarier for me, than a solo parachute jump.

One aspect of it which I hate most is being dependent on people operating electric winches. With no control over what's happening 23 meters below me -- like being on top a 7 storey building.

So I dream about some good autnomous way to do it.

What this guy is doing looks quite nice.

Other than the absence of a safety line

Anyone climb this way?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 04:16   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Mast Climbing Techniques

I have wooden masts so spend a lot of time aloft (hence the pocket for varnish), and am solo for half the year when my gf isn't here. This is the bosun's chair I made as a solution-

I have a junk rig, so I have multipart halyards, which makes it much easier, however, I have hauled myself up relatively easily before on the burgee halyard, which is single part. Clearly stainless rings would be better for the connections at the top of the chair, but I made this during lockdown, when everything was closed.

Edit - Sorry I couldn't be bothered to show it set up. Basically one end of the halyard attaches to the top of the block, and the other passes through it and the cleat.
Old 23-05-2020, 04:41   #3

I don't use a safety line, it just gets in the way, instead I wear a harness with a line that is loosely tied around the mast - if something goes wrong, I will just slide down the mast and get some nasty friction burns, rather than fall away from the mast.
Old 23-05-2020, 04:51   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

We've been using the ATN ascended system for over a decade now. It means the climber is in full control -- except for the safety line, which we usually have being managed by someone on the deck.

It works quite well, and allows me to get right up to the top of the masthead under my own steam. I could do it solo by forgoing the safety line, although even here one could rig a second parallel halyard and use a prusik knot arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7807.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	215609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7811.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	215610  

Name:	IMGP7816.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	215611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7820.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	215612  

Old 23-05-2020, 05:30   #5

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

For years I have used my electric windlass with minimal turns around the capstan (don't want no voice change if something sticks). I also do not use a safety line but have a short double pigtail one end of which is always connected to the mast (clove hitch). Used to have a deck assistant to operate the windlass and tail the line. Few years back got a wireless remote for the windlass, now I control the motor and deck just has to tail the lift line. Obviously we is in constant conversation. It has really worked well and I feel quite safe working at the summit.

Also added some foot straps years back to the chair. Really helps the comfort if you are up there for any length of time.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 05:31   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I can't see it well, but it looks like what climbers call a Z-haul. Pretty common for crevasse rescue. There are many variations. It allows you to use a 3:1 purchase without rigging the tackle clear to the top. You'd still need to be a pretty rugged cus to climb the mast a few times that way, since even with the purchase, it is all on the arms.

Old 23-05-2020, 05:31   #7

Boat: Sabre 34

Dockhead, I saw that video and liked his technique, except the part where he just threw the shrouds from the top. 😳

These 2 references use Prusik knot

https://youtu.be/89w4pLANLvo
https://youtu.be/zKsz6RB0R4M

Recently, I came across this coconut tree climber and got intrigued

https://youtu.be/xBRMm3nPDjw

There was another video where the person used a locking device instead of the Prusik knot, will find it and post it later.

Cheers.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 05:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I can't see it well, but it looks like what climbers call a Z-haul. Pretty common for crevasse rescue. There are many variations. It allows you to use a 3:1 purchase without rigging the tackle clear to the top. You'd still need to be a pretty rugged cus to climb the mast a few times that way, since even with the purchase, it is all on the arms.
Thanks for the explanation. I was going to comment that from the vid it looked like he was hauling himself up with arm strength alone. The 3:1 ratio makes it easier for sure, but it still seems like a lot of work.

With ascenders like mine, most of the effort is done by the legs.
Old 23-05-2020, 05:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I was going to comment that from the vid it looked like he was hauling himself up with arm strength alone. The 3:1 ratio makes it easier for sure, but it still seems like a lot of work.

With ascenders like mine, most of the effort is done by the legs.
I have 4:1 and 5:1 on my fore and main halyards, and it really does make it easy - although the total amount of rope you need to haul is an issue, I may start flaking it into a bag tied to the underside of the chair. Yes, I realise that I am considerably stronger than the average sailor nowadays, but even on my single block on the burgee halyard my method should be possible for most people, at anchor or a marina at least, as you can cleat yourself off and take a break when you need to.

Edit - But yes, with a 3:1 it should be possible for anyone. You can haul a 3:1 block system to the top of your mast by attaching it to your existing halyard and use that.
Old 23-05-2020, 06:01   #10

No need to buy any fancy equipment

Just gather your crew and form a human ladder

Fast, easy,cheap
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AB5ED0A2-8AA8-461D-B4F9-746059A9384E.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	215617  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2020, 06:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
I have 4:1 and 5:1 on my fore and main halyards, and it really does make it easy - although the total amount of rope you need to haul is an issue, I may start flaking it into a bag tied to the underside of the chair. Yes, I realise that I am considerably stronger than the average sailor nowadays, but even on my single block on the burgee halyard my method should be possible for most people, at anchor or a marina at least, as you can cleat yourself off and take a break when you need to.

Edit - But yes, with a 3:1 it should be possible for anyone. You can haul a 3:1 block system to the top of your mast by attaching it to your existing halyard and use that.
Yup, you're definitely stronger than me .

I'm sure it would work. But what's the advantage over the simple ascender arrangement? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious. If it's a better method I might give it a try.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:08   #12

Boat: Nauticat 43

You can have a setup for self-ascension or rely upon someone hauling you up using a halyard and a winch. In either case, you need to decide if you want a bosun's chair (more comfortable for an extended time; you might feel you have more support; you can hang a tool bag off the chair) or a climbing harness, or both. For self ascension, you can use a right hand ascender (e.g. Petzl right hand ascender #8842900001 from REI) tied to the bosun's chair or climbing harness and a left hand ascender (e.g. Petzl left hand ascender #8842890001) tied to a set of foot loops (e.g. double bowline or a multi-step etrier (e.g. Black Diamond #474106). This setup is used to inchworm up and down. For a safety line, you can either have someone on deck manage a separate halyard clipped/tied onto your harness, or else you can loop a line about the mast which will either slow your descent or break your fall in some fashion (e.g. from spreaders or main sail at boom). Sailing gloves can serve as climbing gloves to work with the lines. You may want a helmet of some sort, too.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:21   #13

Boat: Nauticat 43

Besides what's mentioned above, another way the safety line could be managed single-handedly, is to use a second halyard, tied off securely but with a little slack in case it actually has to be used. Either a Prusik knot or a rope clamp (e.g. Petzl Tibloc rope clamp/grab #100210) can be tied off to your harness; the mechanical device is easier to keep moving along; the Prusik knot can be easily provided from what you already have on your boat.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:34   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yup, you're definitely stronger than me .

I'm sure it would work. But what's the advantage over the simple ascender arrangement? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious. If it's a better method I might give it a try.
Well, the advantage for me was that I already had a multi-part halyard
It is quicker and less fiddly to haul yourself up on a multipart halyard imo, but perhaps not worth the cost of ropes and blocks for most people - but then - is it really such a bad thing to have a ready-to-go multi-part system sowed somewhere aboard? Could come in handy for hauling yourself or a another ship off the rocks, for example.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:59   #15

Boat: EDELCAT33
Mast Climbing Techniques

One item I have not seen mentioned is to get a pair of knee guards as used for laying tile. They have a hard shell and the eventual banging of the legs to the mast will be no issue. I keep an old pair with me at the boat, they are super ugly but great for when servicing, repair, etc is needed

Since I seem to bang my head more often than most people, I am now looking for bicycle helmet that is not hot or heavy. I am afraid in my mind I must have a tinny head when in reality it resembles the one from the elephant man [emoji23]

Name:	IMG_5026.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	215623
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast