Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 13:29   #1

Mast corrosion repair

This past week I was boat hunting for my first boat to own. While inspecting this boat on my own found some corrosion around a winch mounted to the mast. Is this something that is reasonably repairable, short of replacing the mast?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast-2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	202936  
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 13:45   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Mast corrosion repair

Impossible to tell from the photo, but most painted masts exhibit corrosion like this with no structural problems.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 13:46   #3

Very typical, it's the bronze winch and corrosive action on the aluminum mast. I had a mast rebuilt and within about a year off offshore and cruising, it was developing the same thing again. There are measures to help prevent it, although not 100% effective. Using a plastic shield on the winch base and teflon etc on the screws attaching the winch.

I swore if I had a mast repainted again I would leave the lower 10 feet, that gets doused with salt water, bare aluminum instead of paint.
It's usually just a bit of surface corrosion and not too deep, unless left for a very long time.
On something like that I would probably sand a ring around the winch to bare aluminum, then use the preventative measures and leave that ring bare.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 14:27   #4

Thanks for the info Sailmonkey and Cheechako. If I did purchase this boat and the marine survey has satisfactory results, then I should be able to remove winch, grind/sand off paint and blisters, then replace winch with an insulating gasket and seal. Correct?
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 14:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsailor View Post
Thanks for the info Sailmonkey and Cheechako. If I did purchase this boat and the marine survey has satisfactory results, then I should be able to remove winch, grind/sand off paint and blisters, then replace winch with an insulating gasket and seal. Correct?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, mast