Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2023, 05:14   #16

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: Mast - Is this repairable?

Looking at a DM-560 (picked at random) hinged step from Dwyer, I would say that the Hood is missing plate #3 and that the larger cracked channel on the deck is a sort of #9 optional organizer and not part of an original hinged mechanism since there does not seem to be enough room for the current plates to act like a pivoting set nor a separate pin to lock it vertical. Then again, the second pin would need to be part of the design, my step does not use one.

There is a small thought in the back of my head that the mast might not be original and the current setup was done to make this mast work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dm_560_inged step.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	276923  
Old 19-06-2023, 05:35   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Well, that would make a lot of sense.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 06:53   #18

Boat: Columbia 36

I think that mast step does hinge on the pin. The piece inside the U channel extends up into the mast and the holes in the base of the mast are for screws to hold it in place. Similar to the illustration in post #16, parts 2 and 3, but in this case it's just one part. Just about every trailerable sailboat made is set up similar to this. Get a couple strong helpers, disconnect the head stay and walk the mast down towards the stern. The mast should weigh less than 100#. The mast on my 24 footer was 28 feet long, I never weighed it but I could pick it carry it by myself. And I'm no Hulk.
Also the three holes in each side of the step are to allow moving the whole rig fore and aft to balance the sail plan. If you find you have excessive lee helm, the boat tends to turn downwind if you let go of the tiller, move the pin to the middle or aft hole.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 07:06   #19

Something:

What you actually have, as shown by your pictures, is so considerably at variance with the mast step shown in the sketch Spot so kindly gave us in post #16 (which I consider a sound design) that you should probably bite the bullet and discard what you have.

Chop the couple of inches off the heel of the mast to get rid of the holes and the bulge. Losing a couple of inches will make no difference provided you have enuff adjustment in the turnbuckles on the standing rigging to accommodate it. If you don't have enuff adjustment, then the hinge design in Spot's sketch can be easily modified to compensate for the lost length.

Have a competent welder or machine shop make up parts like the ones shown in Spot's sketch. If you do that, you will have no trouble in the future. If you don't - if you simply mess about with what you have (as someone obviously did before you) - you'll have never-ending trouble.

Also have a good look at whatever part of the deck structure takes the downthrust of the mast step and at the bolts that hold it to the deck.

All the best :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 07:11   #20

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Something:

What you actually have, as shown by your pictures, is so considerably at variance with the mast step shown in the sketch Spot so kindly gave us in post #16 (which I consider a sound design) that you should probably bite the bullet and discard what you have.

Chop the couple of inches off the heel of the mast to get rid of the holes and the bulge. Losing a couple of inches will make no difference provided you have enuff adjustment in the turnbuckles on the standing rigging to accommodate it. If you don't have enuff adjustment, then the hinge design in Spot's sketch can be easily modified to compensate for the lost length.

Have a competent welder or machine shop make up parts like the ones shown in Spot's sketch. If you do that, you will have no trouble in the future. If you don't - if you simply mess about with what you have (as someone obviously did before you) - you'll have never-ending trouble.

Also have a good look at whatever part of the deck structure takes the downthrust of the mast step and at the bolts that hold it to the deck.

All the best :-)!

TrentePieds
I once shortened a mast by 1 1/2 inches due to corrosion at the base. A 1 1/2 inch thick block of hard wood under the step made up the difference nicely. No other adjustment necessary.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 07:01   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

The item on the couch roof is a Tabernacle. The mast step is the part attached to the bottom of the mast.

I second those who suggest you determine why it cracked. I had an O'Day 23 and the mast got away from me sideways while trying to lower it. That is a lot of torque on the tabernacle bolt. In my case, it ripped the tabernacle off the coach roof. Something similar could be behind your situation. You may be able to tell more once it has been removed. See if the crack is also in the fiberglass under it. You may be able to find a newer tabernacle for your boat online.

I'd also look at the holes drilled(?) in the bottom of the mast itself.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 14:19   #22

Boat: Hooper (Farr) 38

It’s a Hood 23. The mast base is the least of your concerns.
gordonhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2023, 11:33   #23

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

What Stormalong said. I made one from a U channel bought at a scrap metal supply. Then I cut, driiled it, and had it anodized. A bargain piece of work and of course the underlying structure needs to be adequate. Good luck.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 15:52   #24

Boat: Grampian 26

The mast step and the mast do not match, that pin appears to not secure the mast, unless there is tang at mast foot we cannot see. Lower carefully, make a template of the mast foot and have a mast step made a machine shop or foundry. I had a similar issue on a Grampian 26 and the fix was inexpensive.

Good luck, fair winds, DR
donregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2023, 17:54   #25

Boat: Island Packet 40

Probably no more work to build a proper tabernacle and weld a tube through the mast and cut a couple of inches off the bottom.

Tags
mast, repair