Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2023, 16:18   #1

Boat: Hood 23 Learning
Mast - Is this repairable?

Hello Cruisers

Discovered this nasty crack in the base of the mast of my Hood 23. I would like to get it shipshape and sailing at some point in my lifetime!

Would it be sufficient to weld a plate over the crack? If it is, would a plate interfere with mast removal?

If not, can I replace the cracked component? What's it called and can someone identify from the pictures how one would remove this mast? I can see pins at the base, is it just a matter of taking these pins out and getting it down "safely"? It looks to me like its on a hinge although I cant tell for sure.

All advice appreciated, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230610_162120.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	276622   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230610_162101.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	276623  

Name:	20230610_162126.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	276624   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230610_162140.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	276625  

somethingrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 17:33   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Mast - Is this repairable?

That appears to be the mast step not the mast itself
If you can’t find a replacement it should be easy to get one made
Old 12-06-2023, 18:01   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingrandom View Post
Hello Cruisers

Discovered this nasty crack in the base of the mast of my Hood 23. I would like to get it shipshape and sailing at some point in my lifetime!

Would it be sufficient to weld a plate over the crack? If it is, would a plate interfere with mast removal?

If not, can I replace the cracked component? What's it called and can someone identify from the pictures how one would remove this mast? I can see pins at the base, is it just a matter of taking these pins out and getting it down "safely"? It looks to me like its on a hinge although I cant tell for sure.

All advice appreciated, thanks.
The broken piece is the mast step. It looks like you could remove the pin with the clip and pull the mast away from the step, (or release the back stays or forestay) and hinge the mast down.

Either way once the mast is off that step you can remove the step and get it repaired or duplicated by a welder /machine shop.

A 23ft boat should be pretty easy to man handle the mast but be careful, those things like to get away from you.
Old 12-06-2023, 18:01   #4

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

The part cracked is called a mast step. In this case the crack is not significant. It has worked thru the full length of the step and is not going to propagate further. The screws holding the step appear to be taking the load adequately.

If you want you can get this welded up. If you take this route the weld must be ground out in a 90 degree V prior to welding, and the part should be clamped to a flat backing plate so that weld shrinkage does not distort it.

If the bolt holes for the screws which hold the step are not distorted I'd suggest just ensuring that they are tight and leave it at that.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 18:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mast - Is this repairable?

Yup.. that is the mast step, get the mast lifted and laid onshore then remove the step and get a copy made up.
Easy easy..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 18:42   #6

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Does it look like there are broken fasteners (screws/rivets) from the mast section to the mast foot?

Agreed that a good welder could fix it. Making a pattern for sand casting that (mast step) would not be difficult either.

One may want to ask why it cracked. Is the compression post/cabin top/bulkhead all solid?
Old 12-06-2023, 19:32   #7

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Also if you know the manufacturer/size/specs of your mast you can check Rig Rite here in the US as they have many old hard to find bits. (from many of the international manufacturers) Better to know manufacturer/etc. but may be able to find if you spend some time on their web site as they have diagrams etc of many masts/parts.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 19:56   #8

Boat: X442

On another topic...

I think the kicking strap is attached to the wrong attachment point. There seem to be two. A screwed on eye to which the block is currently attached and a riveted on bracket higher up. In my view it is the bracket to which the kicking strap should be attached and not the eye which will most likely be pulled out of the mast at the earliest opportunity.

The eye might take a smaller block through which the kicking strap line might be passed before going back to the cockpit for control from there.

EDIT. having said that, some more rivets holding that bracket in place are needed!
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 21:21   #9

Boat: X442

Adding to my earlier post regarding the kicking strap (or vang), the bracket is also not ideal since on a run the force on it may cause it to bend. So that is an attachment which needs some more thought (not a lot since it is a simple set up and easy to get right, but the current configuration is too weak).
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 00:22   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

That step looks like a standard aluminum U channel that has been machined into a mast step. If that is true it can easily be replicated. Measure it and look for matching U channel at onlinemetals.com.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 04:06   #11

check with Dwyer Aluminum they might have a tabernacle that you could use
as a drop in replacement
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 21:27   #12

Thanks for all the awesome replies. Now that I know it's a mast step I've been able to google and see how it all fits together.

It's been a rough run, the boat has been moored since coming into my possession and we had a few really bad storms, at one point chains snapped and it ended up full of water, on its side on the riverbank. That may have caused the damage. The stanchions got all bent but I was able to remove them and hammer out the kinks.

Attached new image of the holes I think Spot was talking about, any idea what these are for/whats going on?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	holes.png
Views:	99
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	276734  
Old 15-06-2023, 07:09   #13

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Getting the mast down and having a better look at it all at eye level would be best.

Here is a good primer on stepping methods for 'our' size boats:

https://stingysailor.com/2019/08/24/...-a-gin-pole-2/

On my boat, the mast un-steps pivoting towards the stern, and the upper and lower shrouds go slack without unhooking them. Previous owner fitted a gin pole and 'baby stays' from the lower tang to the cabin top in line with the pin that allows the mast to rotate up and down. These stays keep the mast in line during the raising and lowering process. I use the 4:1 mainsheet tackle to raise and lower. Hard to tell from pics but it looks like the Hood 23 might have two sets of lowers and the forward set might need to be released to step the mast.

Some more pics of the mast base with the odd bits of lashing removed and from a little distance away confirming fore/aft might help illustrate the system as it stands.
Old 19-06-2023, 00:15   #14

As a quick fix, what are people's thoughts if I were to get two suitably sized threaded rods and install them in both of the available pin slots of the mast step locking them off with washers and nuts inside and outside of the assembly? Alternatively I could get a block cut and tapped and drop it in the recess and screw it in.

Thanks for the link Spot, very informative. To me, this mast doesn't look like it has a pivot of any kind. It actually looks like the only thing holding it in is that single pin at the base.

Is it possible to use the gin pole method without a pivot?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230617_123045.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	276916   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230617_123210.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	276917  

Name:	20230617_123132.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	276918   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230617_123236.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	276919  

Old 19-06-2023, 01:50   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I would be more worried about the way the mast is currently sitting with one side supported on a second piece of steel whist the other side isn't. the mast is also starting to bulge out at the bottom. What appears to be a piece wood under the mast has failed, so the whole thing needs looking at.

I disagree with Wingsail. The crack in the mast foot happened for a reason. Something moved. Yes to having it welded or a new one made, but worth checking inside to see if the mast support inside is moving downwards.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mast step.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	276920  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, repair