Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2022, 20:10   #1

Mast paint or not

I'm hoping to get all the ducks in a row and have my rigging done in two weeks.
since the mast will be off the boat, I was thinking of cleaning the mast as well.
Right now, the mast is bare. If you move your hand across the surface, you can feel that it's not smooth and there is some pitting.
I'm going to remove the bolts and screws clean them and cover with Tef-Gel on the threads. I was thinking on sanding the mast to clean it out and make it look good. Not sure if I should paint or if there is some clear coat I can spray on for protection?
The boom is painted but I would need to clean the paint at the end and redo it, I can see that under the paint the metal has a lot of pitting, and the aluminum is breaking down.
any advice??
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 20:39   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Mast paint or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
I'm hoping to get all the ducks in a row and have my rigging done in two weeks.
since the mast will be off the boat, I was thinking of cleaning the mast as well.
Right now, the mast is bare. If you move your hand across the surface, you can feel that it's not smooth and there is some pitting.
I'm going to remove the bolts and screws clean them and cover with Tef-Gel on the threads. I was thinking on sanding the mast to clean it out and make it look good. Not sure if I should paint or if there is some clear coat I can spray on for protection?
The boom is painted but I would need to clean the paint at the end and redo it, I can see that under the paint the metal has a lot of pitting, and the aluminum is breaking down.
any advice??
Is your mast anodized? Post a picture if not sure.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 21:30   #3

I'm not at the boat now. I think it is anodized but then again, it's an old boat.
When you move your hand on the mast you can feel the bumps on the surface. Not sure how much of it still left and works .
Old 07-11-2022, 22:14   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireant View Post
I'm not at the boat now. I think it is anodized but then again, it's an old boat.
When you move your hand on the mast you can feel the bumps on the surface. Not sure how much of it still left and works .
I wouldn’t paint nor sand if it’s galvanized. If it’s raw aluminum, you could sand and polish like alloy wheels.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:03   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

A mast should be anodized. Paint does not like it. Most aluminum street lighting poles made with extruded T6 use powder coated factory baked. It’s kinda an exclusive advantage to extruded and forged aluminum. It’s also a permanent barrier. Paint clear coats breached trap corrosion anodizing can’t defend. There are raw masts clear coated so it would require paint every other year.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:34   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Another vote for leaving it unpainted. Much easier maintenance to leave the spars unpainted.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:08   #7

Boat: Lagoon 39

I have painted aluminum mast and boom on my first boat, a very old Northstar, and it really refreshed her, and the look was absolutely awesome. It was a job, and the paint was a bit expensive. Only few dings needed a re-touch in a couple of years.

However, I would only consider painting it, if the boat and mast is older, say over 30 years, and if the factory anodizing of the aluminum spar is gone and this is already causing oxidization. Hope that helps
macieknan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:36   #8

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Awlgrip, old bare alu with pitting its a lot of work in prep, lots of $$$, Tef Gel its a good idea , in any case if your mast is small awlgrip can be a option , over 30 ft single spreader becomes expensive. I vote for unpainted spars.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:42   #9

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have painted mast and boom. Leave it alone. No, don't sand it. You need the anodized finish to stay. Really, just leave it alone.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 16:26   #10

Ok I like the advice of not touching the mast. For once there would be less work and less money to spend on the boat.

Thank you, fine folks.
Old 09-11-2022, 17:27   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

There is only one reason to paint a Al mast - aesthetics.
Leaving it alone is good!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, paint