Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2011, 06:57   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Mast, Sails, and Place to Install 'em

TMI = Texas Marine Industries
TMI 30 ➥ TMI 30 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 07:31   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Mast, Sails, and Place to Install 'em

Thanks Gord..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 07:49   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Mast, Sails, and place to install 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR2beans View Post
Have no idea what happened to the first rig. Plan to find out. I see this same boat going for 20,000 in good condition.
I can think of several reasons for a yacht to be missing a mast and a couple won't be pretty, however, if it's cheap enough and there is no water damage inside it might be do able. I really would find out why the mast disappeared. Capsize/hurricane/sinking

However, as already advised I would also find the mast before paying for the yacht. Afterall, its hardly going to be snapped up with the mast and sails missing. Then price up the rigging with secondhand sails and any other costs. Likely to be close to buying a yacht that is up together and ready to go, without the hassle factor and spending the whole summer working on it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 07:55   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

A friend of mine dissmasted his boat in a situation where he had to cut it away, sails and all. His insurance company decided that it would cost more to replace the rig than the boat was worth, so they declared the boat to have been totaled.

I'm wondering whether a similar thing happened to the boat in question on this thread. If so, the advice to locate a suitable mast prior to purchasing the boat is a good one. Might also be sensible to figure in the costs of standing rigging and running rigging, which you're going to have to purchase new.

The bottom line is the cheap boats are after more expensive than purchasing a used boat in turn-key condition.
Old 15-04-2011, 13:28   #20

Boat: jeanneau Gin Fizz-38'

hi, and good luck with your project. I don'e care how handy u r. yard costs cranes, sails rig you will be parting with 10K if u are lucky. Not saying don,t, if u like the boat go for it. I just repowered a 38 for around 13K, prop to key, me doing everything. It all come down to your evaluation of the job.Some people look at the job I did and they could not imagine doing it. I had no hesitation as to whether I could do it.So it depends on each individual and how they percieve the task., good luck....Red
redhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 14:55   #21

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Another vote for junk rig. Cheap boat, cheap rig. Don't dump too much money into it.
Don't expect to sell for more than you paid, ever.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 17:35   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR2beans View Post
Anyone know of any in SC/northern GA? This seems to be a fairly expensive area...
Thanks!
You think SC/ N GA is expensive??? Wait until you get to S FL or New England. Boy are you in for a shock.

You might try N FL. Jacksonville, St Augustine or St Johns River. Green Cove Springs marina on the river is DIY and as cheap as anything I've seen lately.

Second the recommendation you line up a mast before committing to the boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 18:54   #23

Skip the mast; skip the sails; put the $$ you save into the catamaran you are building. At this point you are buying a "trawler". Nothing wrong with motoring around for a while while you build your dream boat.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 06:12   #24

Boat: TMI 30

Obviously I meant occasionally sail that far. Online multi-person conversations are so funny.
Anyhow...I found a 38ft alluminum mast w/boom in the same city for 650! It's old...but looks sound. Honestly, it looks like it could have been the boat's original mast, color and all. Felt pretty serendipitous for sure. Toying with the idea of dropping it on over the bridge....
Kidding. But for that price we can budget in a yard fee me thinks. Wahoo! Will be updating on our project(s) here. Thanks for a sounding board and input!
VR2beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 06:31   #25

Boat: TMI 30

We definitely considered just saving the money we'll be spending on this boat for our big project but I think we need some more time on the water before we can make decent design decisions... and it would be really great for us to take the kiddos out for long(ish) hauls while they are still young and flexible. I figure we won't get out what we put in, but we could get close which is all we need. It's like an investment but more rewarding since the experience will be worth more than the money we lose...sell it off when we're ready to really start outfitting our cat's shell.
The boat is sweet and big inside. I've priced others ready to sail and honestly, I'd rather put the work into this one. You should check it out -
http://members.tripod.com/sail_ticon/
Thanks again (didn't see the other new comments before posting last time).
VR2beans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, sails