Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 18:37   #16

Boat: Beneteau 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackster
I bought Argo, a Newport 41 from Alameda, about a year ago. I think I may have mast step compression issues. Did you open up your mast base? Do you have any images of what is supporting the mast base? Any info or images would be appreciated. Thank you, Doug Mackey
Ahhh nice boat! Years ago I fell in love with a C&c redline 41... Nice
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 09:34   #17

Boat: Cabot 36 - Que Sera
Re: Mast Step

I just removed the original aluminum mast step from my 37-year-old Annapolis Spars mast, as it was starting to retain water and corrode (the base of the mast is corrosion-free). I'm torn between installing the identical mast step (amazingly, it's still available) vs making a new one. If I make a new one, I lean toward using a 3/8" G10 base (same height as the current aluminum), shaping a piece of 1-1/2" Starboard to fit inside the mast to center the base. I have a drain hole at the base of the mast but am also tempted to drill a drain hole at the bottom of the mast step to allow water to pass through. Any clear thinking would be appreciated.
chuck g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 10:07   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck g View Post
I just removed the original aluminum mast step from my 37-year-old Annapolis Spars mast, as it was starting to retain water and corrode (the base of the mast is corrosion-free). I'm torn between installing the identical mast step (amazingly, it's still available) vs making a new one. If I make a new one, I lean toward using a 3/8" G10 base (same height as the current aluminum), shaping a piece of 1-1/2" Starboard to fit inside the mast to center the base. I have a drain hole at the base of the mast but am also tempted to drill a drain hole at the bottom of the mast step to allow water to pass through. Any clear thinking would be appreciated.
Not totally clear on what you have. Drain hole at the bottom of the mast? Do you mean a notch cut out of the very bottom of the mast?

Regardless, this is what I did with my new mast step that more or less matched what came original from Pearson. I cut notches like mouse holes on the bottom of the mast at the four points, port, stbd, fore and aft. I

For securing the base of the mast I went the opposite way, making a mast shaped hole cut out of a 1 1/2" thick rectangle of UHMWPE that I bolted to the step. I cut channels in the bottom of this base to match the notches in the bottom of the mast so the mast can drain on either tack plus fore and aft in case the step isn't completely level with the waterline
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 10:58   #19

Boat: Cabot 36 - Que Sera

Thanks for the feedback; I like the idea of the notches and your approach of surrounding the mast. I'd be interested in knowing how big your notches are -- 1/4" or so? The only aspect of your solution that leaves me a bit uneasy is not having something at the base of the mast for compression purposes. FYI, the drainage hole at the base of my mast is a 3/4" hole on the side, roughly 2" from the bottom.
chuck g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 11:38   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck g View Post
Thanks for the feedback; I like the idea of the notches and your approach of surrounding the mast. I'd be interested in knowing how big your notches are -- 1/4" or so? The only aspect of your solution that leaves me a bit uneasy is not having something at the base of the mast for compression purposes. FYI, the drainage hole at the base of my mast is a 3/4" hole on the side, roughly 2" from the bottom.
Hi Chuck.

The whole project was actually a bit more complex that the drain holes I described. Pearson for some strange reason (cost? convenience? cost?) decided to use steel mast steps in the bilge for Al masts. So a fairly common problem with older Pearsons is mast rot where the Al/steel combo sets up a galvanic reaction and the mast base becomes a sacrificial anode. I had to cut 3" off the base of my mast that looked like Swiss cheese. I'm surprised the mast hadn't collapsed down into the step it was so eaten away.

To replace the steel step I first put a 3" block of UHMWPE bolted to the keel, then a 1/4" plate of 6061 Al for the mast base to rest on and take any abrasion between the mast and step, then the rectangular piece with the hole in the middle as the final piece on top.

Mine also had a couple of holes a few inches up from the base but were used for leading wires out of the mast. Guess if the drains at the bottom clogged they would work for overflow but I like having a drain at the very bottom so you don't end up with any standing water.

It has been a while since I built all this but I think the notches in the base of the mast (and the matching channels I cut in the bottom of the step) were about 1/2" diameter. I wanted them large enough so any small trash wouldn't block the drain and also big enough to poke a piece of coat hanger into the hole to clear it if it did block.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast