Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2022, 06:45   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Material options for cabin trim strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I’m thinking about composite decking…. It is VERY strong, reasonably flexible, can be cut with woodworking tools and is UV stable.
When you say 'flexible decking' are you now talking about non skid?
We re-did ours in Auckland in '15. The original Treadmaster only lasted thirty years.
Yard tried to sell us that fake teak which I think looks gross and only belongs on motor boats. I considered KiwiGrip but you can't do it in darker shades and light shades not only didn't serve my purposes but would also tend to accentuate any AWB look.
So we stuck with Treadmaster.
In your case I would lay that first and then worry about any cosmetic trim as shown in your photo. I doubt you will need it.

Photo here of my deck as we were stripping off the old T/master - the AWB look - and a photo of the present appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1832.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	258357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	258358  

Old 25-05-2022, 07:00   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
When you say 'flexible decking' are you now talking about non skid?
We re-did ours in Auckland in '15. The original Treadmaster only lasted thirty years.
Yard tried to sell us that fake teak which I think looks gross and only belongs on motor boats. I considered KiwiGrip but you can't do it in darker shades and light shades not only didn't serve my purposes but would also tend to accentuate any AWB look.
So we stuck with Treadmaster.
In your case I would lay that first and then worry about any cosmetic trim as shown in your photo. I doubt you will need it.

Photo here of my deck as we were stripping off the old T/master - the AWB look - and a photo of the present appearance.

Noice! [emoji106]

But we got the wires crossed. I’m thinking of using composite deck material (deck in this case referring to the home builder backyard patio stuff) from Bunnings, trimmed down to make a replacement strip around the cabin top.

Nobody seems to believe me but I tried a painted strip and it looked completely wrong.
Old 25-05-2022, 07:16   #18

Boat: None at this time

Flexiteek has trim pieces.

https://www.flexiteek.com/other-prod...exiteek-trims/
Newb2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 07:18   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Noice! [emoji106]

But we got the wires crossed. I’m thinking of using composite deck material (deck in this case referring to the home builder backyard patio stuff) from Bunnings, trimmed down to make a replacement strip around the cabin top.

Nobody seems to believe me but I tried a painted strip and it looked completely wrong.
You could go the full '56 Pontiac https://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphot...ebay635124.jpg and use chrome for that true americana look.

If I look at the pic you posted of the other boat I just see a dirt and water trap plus a place for green slimy things to thrive.

Have you considered a grey stripe at mid window height? That is even used on big ships to break up big areas of white on accomodation sides.
Old 25-05-2022, 07:57   #20

Material options for cabin trim strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
You could go the full '56 Pontiac https://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphot...ebay635124.jpg and use chrome for that true americana look.

If I look at the pic you posted of the other boat I just see a dirt and water trap plus a place for green slimy things to thrive.

Have you considered a grey stripe at mid window height? That is even used on big ships to break up big areas of white on accomodation sides.

Green slimy things need a home too.

The cabin sides are very low profile, I doubt they’ll need to be broken up.

The topsides on the other hand..
Old 25-05-2022, 08:00   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb2020 View Post

Alas, no Aussie site.
Old 25-05-2022, 09:14   #22

Boat: Seaward 22

https://plasticlumberyard.com/color/weathered-teak/ Take a look at these. The premium ones look like you could cut like wood to custom fit.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 16:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
https://plasticlumberyard.com/color/weathered-teak/ Take a look at these. The premium ones look like you could cut like wood to custom fit.

Wrong country but similar to the composite decking material I’m thinking of.
Old 25-05-2022, 16:17   #24

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Wrong country but similar to the composite decking material I’m thinking of.

My guy at work likes composite decking too, said he made some trim from it that worked well.
Old 25-05-2022, 16:20   #25

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Could try something with StarBoard, you'd probably need to make your own shapes with a router. It's got several colors, it's paintable, and doesn't seem to be bothered by sun. I've used it for instrument panels, setting cheek block heights and angles, and I'm considering using it when I have to replace my 47 year old companion way hatch when the wood surrenders.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 16:50   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Back in the day....I had a boat with lots of teak trim, toe rails, deck house, dorade boxes, companion way, etc.
At least once a year, it was a chore to sand down, varnish, etc.
I tried everything, several different kinds of varnish, oil, etc and while they all looked good for the first month or two, the end game was predictable.
In frustration, I took it all down to bare wood, applied a grain sealer, and painted them.
Sorry to say, the paint lasted only marginally longer than the varnish, but I will caveat that, by saying that the paint I used at the time was an epoxy paint. A two part polyurethane might do a lot better job.

I think the writing is on the wall. It would need to be some of the products listed above, but if that doesn't work for any reason, you'd likely be stuck with it.

Come time to re-sell the boat, cosmetics go a long way to impress a buyer....'jes sayin'
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 16:56   #27

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Look a bit like similar bits on my Valiant 40. Just take the wood off, fill the attachment holes and paint a nice strip of appropriate width. Looks great on the V-40. Later Valiants eliminated these teak bits (and others) and they look just fine (IMHO)
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 17:08   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I put deck tread on my first boat .....it's quite heavy, I think I calculated about 400 lbs by the time I was done.
At the time, the color options were kinda limited, mine was grey in color, but they have many more colors now, including white..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 17:10   #29

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Along the lines of flexiteek, I have used Marinedeck, flexible bendable strips made out of cork particles, can be cut with saw and sharp knifes, stuck down with gooh. Maybe that will work for you, aesthetically and suitable to work with. Still got strips in my shed......
https://www.amisales.com.au/download...deck_A3_LR.pdf
Old 25-05-2022, 20:00   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Along the lines of flexiteek, I have used Marinedeck, flexible bendable strips made out of cork particles, can be cut with saw and sharp knifes, stuck down with gooh. Maybe that will work for you, aesthetically and suitable to work with. Still got strips in my shed......

https://www.amisales.com.au/download...deck_A3_LR.pdf
How does it rate in your view for resisting dents etc? The caution about the cellular pvc got me thinking about what sort of environment these strips are working in, and I realised it is pretty hostile. Anchors, outboards, flogging sheets... not exactly a bed of roses.

Tags
cabin