Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 03:40   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
MCA coding and standing rigging.

Does anyone know if a MCA coded boat has requirements for standing rigging to be replaced after a defined age? I am looking at a boat which was once coded, it is 17 years old and no paperwork for standing rigging replacement, the previous owner died and the widow had little paperwork. the broker appears adamant that the coding would have made it necessary to change the rigging, but I am having severe doubts.

Cheers

Steven

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:21   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: MCA coding and standing rigging.

Nothing mentioned here

Service Guidelines - Marine Results
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:34   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

If it was coded as a small commercial vessel then it would be MGN 280 (which you can find on the web) or its predecessors (it is just old enough to be before 280).

MGN 280 has a total of three short paragraphs on sailing vessels, and the only rigging requirement is regular inspection:

Quote:
25.1 Sailing Vessel Features
25.1.1 Efficient storm sails should be carried which are capable of taking the vessel to windward in heavy weather. Where one of the required storm sails is a foresail, and roller furling gear and associated sails are fitted, a means of setting a separate taut luff storm jib should be provided. Each storm weather jib shall have a means to attach the luff to a stay independent of any luff groove device, which shall be permanently attached to the sail. Such sails may use the taught luff of a furled sail.

25.1.2 Storm sails need not be provided for a vessel restricted to Area Categories 4, 5 and 6, which restrict operations to favourable weather and daylight.

25.1.3 The condition of spars and rigging should be periodically examined by a competent person. The frequency of examination will depend on the nature of the rig and its use. As a minimum, a detailed spars and standing rigging visual inspection should be carried out at least once during the term of the certificate and a report presented to the Certifying Authority. More frequent examinations may be considered necessary, at the discretion of the Certifying Authority. Chain plates and their attachments to hull structure should be visually examined at least every five years and more frequently if justified by usage.
Do note that the rules require a report to the CA, which means the CA should have the report on file. Ask the broker to produce the report. Otherwise, without receipts/work orders rigging replacement didn't happen.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:56   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Steven, Its been a little while since I read MCN 280 but the coding is for 5 years and requires an approved MCA surveyors report etc to code a boat. There is a requirement for the owner to carry out an annual inspection and then at the 2.5 yr point again a surveyors inspection. At the 5 years point either the coding lapses or you have another fresh inspection by an approved surveyor etc.

I coded a large rib so didn't have to worry about standing rigging.

So if the coding has expired, any reports are during that time won't now count.

Likely it was coded from new because you need stability curves etc and this will be included by the likes of Bavaria or Beneteau if you tell them its a coded boat. They will also add things like fire ext and stuff to comply with the coding. If so then its due a change of rigging really.

The MCA devolve the coding paperwork and certificates to commercial organisations like Mecal and YDSA etc. https://ydsa.co.uk/

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:48   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
Does anyone know if a MCA coded boat has requirements for standing rigging to be replaced after a defined age? I am looking at a boat which was once coded, it is 17 years old and no paperwork for standing rigging replacement, the previous owner died and the widow had little paperwork. the broker appears adamant that the coding would have made it necessary to change the rigging, but I am having severe doubts.

Cheers

Steven
If no documents are provided, assume that the rig was nor replaced. Rig replacement is major service event and as such, no normal boat owner would discard the documentation (keeping it for a variety of reasons, e.g. to present to his insurance company in case of rig damage).
Old 10-01-2019, 08:55   #6

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Hi I bought a Coded boat and the info given to me is that the rig needs to be inspected and I was told the rigging was recently viewed , but I trust the company as they were a charity and boat based next to a rigger and everyother part of the boat was regulation proof
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging