Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2023, 00:56   #1

Measuring seacocks

Hello all !

We just bought a new to us boat Lavranaos L34 and the seacocks look horrible. We are on a mooring, and plan to go the dry as soon as possible (the only crane at our island is currently not operating due to maintenance issues).

I’m trying to determine the size of the seacocks to replace but everything is so corroded and patched together that it is very difficult to measure. I added a photo as an example of the galley drain �� (it might be upside down)

The toilet in and out are marelon valves (the valves are frozen so will replace as well) and I think I am pretty sure the inlet is 3/4” and outlet 1.5”. However, for the metal seacocks for engine intake, toilet sink drain and galley drain I am unsure. The only real thing I can measure correctly is the OD of the hose connected. I dob’t dare to remove the hoses out of fear of making the situation worse.

We live in the tropics so swimming is not a problem. Can I measure the size through the outside of the hull ? Would the ID of the ‘hole’ of the through hull give me the dimension I am looking for ?

Thanks a million !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7361.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	433.4 KB
ID:	277940  
Batopima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 01:11   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Measuring seacocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batopima View Post
Hello all !

We just bought a new to us boat Lavranaos L34 and the seacocks look horrible. We are on a mooring, and plan to go the dry as soon as possible (the only crane at our island is currently not operating due to maintenance issues).

I’m trying to determine the size of the seacocks to replace but everything is so corroded and patched together that it is very difficult to measure. I added a photo as an example of the galley drain �� (it might be upside down)

The toilet in and out are marelon valves (the valves are frozen so will replace as well) and I think I am pretty sure the inlet is 3/4” and outlet 1.5”. However, for the metal seacocks for engine intake, toilet sink drain and galley drain I am unsure. The only real thing I can measure correctly is the OD of the hose connected. I dob’t dare to remove the hoses out of fear of making the situation worse.

We live in the tropics so swimming is not a problem. Can I measure the size through the outside of the hull ? Would the ID of the ‘hole’ of the through hull give me the dimension I am looking for ?

Thanks a million !
Where are you located?

Normally you determine size by looking at the attached hose.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 01:41   #3

Hi Jedi ! We are located in Mauritius 😎
Batopima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 03:11   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batopima View Post
Hi Jedi ! We are located in Mauritius 😎
Before starting work, I recommend to buy all the needed parts. Are there any chandleries or agents for shipping parts from the US?

I have no experience with Mauritius so can’t help with local info, but have found myself in places where it’s hard to find parts.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote