Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 19:42   #1

Mechanical Knotmeter ID

What is the brand name of this old knot meter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mechanical knot meter.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	49237  
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 20:40   #2

Re: Mechanical Knotmeter ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
What is the brand name of this old knot meter.
Is this a joke or a test??

I would think someone may guess the right answer, but the best bet is to remove it, and try to find some part numbers on it.

Sorry, but asking from a picture is probably not going to get you the answer you want.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 22:05   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Looks like a VDO Sumlog.
Old 04-11-2012, 22:26   #4

Thanks. I was trying to be concise and save electrons.
This is a picture of mechanical knotmeter on a boat I am working on. There is no paperwork nor identifying marks that I have for it. The sailboat was built in the 60s so it is probably no older than that. It has a gauge on it inside the that does not require electricity ie it is mechanical. Since it is so old, I fear that there may be few "living'" sailors that have first hand experience with it. Not a test or joke. Perhaps someone with a knowledge of older gadgets might recognize it and help me with the name of the model and even better pass on some first hand experience using it.
Old 04-11-2012, 22:31   #5

Thanks Hopcar appreciate the lead!!! I checked out website and got a lot of information about it. Thanks again
Old 05-11-2012, 05:22   #6

See, yet again, I have been proved wrong.

It is great to see the amount of knowledge here.

James L
Old 05-11-2012, 07:58   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Since it is so old, I fear that there may be few "living'" sailors that have first hand experience with it."
James, I recognized it because I'm very old and should be dead by now. That young whipper snapper edelweiss should have more respect for his elders. I have it in mind to thrash him with my cane, if only I could find where I left my teeth.

I'm old enough to remember selling Walker Taff Rail Logs. In fact I have a brand new one sitting in my office. It's right next to the six volt Sutton Bilge Pump.

That VDO Sumlog was a miserable contraption. The cables broke often and that little propeller thing got knocked off by every passing clump of sea weed. I'm surprised to see one intact. If fact I think I've got a brand new gauge to go with it. The hard thing to find would be the cable but you might be able to use a mechanical tachometer cable.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"Since it is so old, I fear that there may be few "living'" sailors that have first hand experience with it."
James, I recognized it because I'm very old and should be dead by now. That young whipper snapper edelweiss should have more respect for his elders. I have it in mind to thrash him with my cane, if only I could find where I left my teeth.

I'm old enough to remember selling Walker Taff Rail Logs. In fact I have a brand new one sitting in my office. It's right next to the six volt Sutton Bilge Pump.

That VDO Sumlog was a miserable contraption. The cables broke often and that little propeller thing got knocked off by every passing clump of sea weed. I'm surprised to see one intact. If fact I think I've got a brand new gauge to go with it. The hard thing to find would be the cable but you might be able to use a mechanical tachometer cable.
Wow.......quite funny.

It's nice to see some of the "saltier" people participate in the forums. Not everything new is better, but in the case of the VDO Sumlog, there are probably plenty of things which work better. Maybe a rope with knots??

James L
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31   #9

Quote:

you're not still using your Walker log? Smoked shark is great!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:33   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:

If I recall correctly, they used the same cable that is used on a lot of bicycle speedo's. One might be able to adapt one of those, if necessary.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:58   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cheechako, I would never kill a shark, I made too much money selling replacement Walker spinners. Love those sharks.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:29   #12

Ouch I feel cane wacked. I meant no offense by my old gear qualification. I probably should have stuck to my original low electron usage style question. Thanks again for the info. I have tried to look some of these things up but it seems the more stuff on the internet the harder it is to find things.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:32   #13

I actually have a sextant, Walker log, barometer and chronometer with the paper charts. I got the walker log because it just looked cool
Old 06-11-2012, 13:53   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Good to hear there are still Walker Logs out there. Lost one to a shark. It tore the whole unit off my taffrail. Certainly was a loud bang that I couldn't figure out until daybreak.
They are really very accurate.
kind regards,
Old 06-11-2012, 15:28   #15

I had a log like that in the 70s. I dont recall the name ,but I bought it from England. If I remember correctly the cable was SS or maybe bronze. It lasted about 600 miles before it packed up. Not worth a Damn!____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knotmeter