Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2017, 10:13   #1

messy smeared fillet under bulkhead tabbing questions

Hi,

This is my first time tabbing in bulkheads, and i spaced out a bit, and I was wondering if anyone thinks this will still hold.

I am using epoxy and bonding to a polyester hull. I prepped the fiberglass hull very well, and set my wood bulkhead there, then placed a nice thick fillet.

Buttt, when I was placing the fillet, I wasn't thinking to pay attention to how much of it I was smearing across the other prepped fiberglass, where the glass strips would be going next. I thiiiinnnnk that I got most of it scraped up as I was moving along, but the stuff is cold cure, and some of it was left by mistake, which I then proceeded to glass over with two strips of 1708, before it all cured.

I am afraid that the leftover fillet, that got smeared under where the glass was supposed to connect to the polyester, will compromise the overall strength of the glass job. Is anyone able to give me any hypotheticals? I can vaugely remember that on at least some of them, I got all the fillet up except for a small sheen like 1/16 of an inch thick over the prepped spot, but then others places I left moderate sized globs up to 1/4 of an inch thick, for about half of the total surface of the area the glass is covering.

Think it will stay put? how much weaker if any? should I rip it up and start over, or do you thin its worth leaving and using?
sailormanbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head