Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 20:23   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Metrinch Sockets/Wrenches

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
For me having the right tool for the job is worth the extra weight. How many times have you wished you had the right tool here and now?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 20:55   #17

Boat: boat less ATM

I have been using a set of Metrinch closed & open end spanners 8 - 18 mm for over 15 years. They work well in over 90% of occasions. HOWEVER, I am a tool junkie and change to the "proper" tool if in any doubt. This is to stop the Admiral bitching about all my toy (tools)
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 21:06   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares
Oh.... David M... We are only starting. I think it it is important to have the tools needed to fix your stuff aboard.

I am not woried about too much weight on the boat only too much in the tool bag.

The original post was about slick combo universal fits all which are interesting but not that usefull. A tool thread amongst us motor heads could rival the joke thread for posts!
And there will be full agreement among us all!

When I graduated mechanic school my dad gave me a snap-on box combo set. 30 years later they are still perfect and unscratched.

Nothing is better than a good quality tool.

Not a fan of "combo" tools.

Buy quality, vibro peen your name on them. You won't be sorry.

In many instances below say 1/2 inch or 12 mm you will need two wrenches due to clearance issues. In bigger sizes you will likely be able to use a socket and a wrench.

Having to carry both metric and Imperial sucks.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 21:27   #19

Boat: Lagoon 440

Come on, really - for less than the weight of a slab of beer on a 51ft cat?? Better add a set of REAL good, sharp chisels with the "fits-all" wrenches.
DHHong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 06:47   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Really don't like them, I have never achieved a 90% success rate with them, perhaps 65% (and I expect 100% success rate so I now only buy / use top end tools). I gave mine away as I could not rely on them 100% of the time.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 11:26   #21

Boat: Irwin sloop

Your welcome, sorry about your bad day.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 12:01   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Neko, one of the reasons Detroit cars were better than foreign cars was that you could fix anything with one screwdriver and pliers, no special service tools needed. (Yeah, I know, that never was quite true.)

These days you need inch, metric, six point, twelve point, thin wall, deep, seems like there is always a need for another special wrench. Oh, and a number of vendors on Amazon are selling thread pitch gauges which apparently are unlabeled but WHITWORTH not SAE or Metric.

ViceGrip, ChannelLock, Stinson wrench...

Yeah, those metrinch sound like they'd be more useful than one dogbone wrench or one Leatherman tool. Will they have shortcomings, sure, but isn't that why we all keep Sears on speed dial?

FWIW I think you can get a nice titanium wrench and jack from Ferrari...some folks know how to keep tools light.<VBG> Then there's the market in used beryllium-copper tools. Honest. The dust from them is toxic, but they're spark-proof for use in explosive vapor areas, apparently a little less durable than steel, which is why they get sold off as surplus.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 13:12   #23

If you have a full set of metric you ill always have a wrench that will work with standard. 8mm=5/16,11mm=7/16.13mm=1/2,14mm is close enough to 9/16 but 15mm is a wrench you will need for metric fasteners that is not needed for standard. 19mm will work for 3/4 but 17umm is a common metric size. If you have one set of metric and one set of standard you will have 2 wrenches for most sizes you need. I would add a metric socket set and any other tools needed specific to your boat.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote