Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 10:19   #16

Re: Mexican 2-part poly paint experiences?

You do realize that all of that paint will have to be removed before recoating?
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:25   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

The problem now is how to get the bad stuff off.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 06:24   #18

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Don't get to start the project until next Monday. Ahhh, the joys of unrigging the whole boat... AGAIN.

Yes, I made sure he knows he's gotta remove it all. We will be watching him closely at every step. Any tips on things to watch for? Is there a good awlgrip primer on here so I know the process? no pun intended
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:29   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i go with minaret's expert advice and judgement. he is smarts
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 09:29   #20

Well, they've started sanding, but getting it all off is going to be a problem. Can they use acetone on it and as long as it's not coming off it's good, or do we need to get some kind of chemical stripper? I don't want to end up with a damaged deck.
Old 27-12-2016, 10:10   #21

You don't want new paint over lousy old paint, you really do have to get all the old paint off. Is it molded in non-skid that he painted over? Was the surface he painted over gelcoat? If it's molded in gelcoat you might use a wire brush and acetone, if acetone cuts the bad paint. You can use paint stripper and a wire brush but if the stripper is left on too long it may soften the gelcoat. If it was me I'd look at grinding the gelcoat smooth then put new non-skid down with the new paint. It might be the quickest thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Well, they've started sanding, but getting it all off is going to be a problem. Can they use acetone on it and as long as it's not coming off it's good, or do we need to get some kind of chemical stripper? I don't want to end up with a damaged deck.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 08:40   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

Is the primer good? Did you try a solvent test? If so, did only the topcoat fail or did topcoat and primer? If there is a good primer job under the bad topcoat, it may be mostly saveable. Though I would throw some fresh primer on there as well anyway after stripping, at least you will have a nice pinhole free surface to start with.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 11:05   #23

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'

Two things that are sometimes not evaluated prior to / during installation:

1. Vapor drive. Most of these ester / epoxy esters will only withstand a couple of pounds of vapor drive. Special primers are needed for high vapor drive conditions. If coring is wet and / or significant temperature differential exists between cabin and deck vapor drive can exceed 25#.

Once an area is stripped of the new application tape all edges of a peice of clear 4 mil plastic over the stripped area. Inspect after 24 hours. If there is any condensation you have vapor drive that will likely prevent a successful application - with standard primers at least/

2. Dew point - can also be related to high humidity. Less than a 8* F separation in dew point during application is likely to cause curing & adhesion problems. High humidity can cause localized dew point issues in shaded areas. High humidity also requires different mixing ratios / duration and speeds.

Don't ask how I know all this stuff. It was painful.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:58   #24

So far here's what's happened on the boat:
Sanding the deck
Stripper and wire brush the deck
Wash the deck
Stripper and wire brush the deck again
Wash the deck

We're still seeing this crappy paint flaking off. So they'e sanding again, this time by hand with 36 grit.

I just tested a spot that was sanded. Put a piece of blue tape down, pulled it up, it's got paint specs all over it. So I got a towel, put acetone on it, scrubbed the same spot, put tape down again, pulled it up, still has paint on it.

I suggested they soda blast, but he says that will take too much off.

Any ideas? We're about to lose our minds!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paint.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	138846  
Old 02-01-2017, 10:31   #25

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

If you read the data sheet on Awl grip, it says not to leave the paint in contact with water, such as a wet towel, or there may be lifting. I sent an email to Awl grip once asking about crossing an ocean on one tack for weeks on end with a hull that had been Awlgripped. Never got a response. My vote? Use Kiwigrip. Water base, easy clean up, dries hard, non toxic, you can alter the degree of grip you want, you can even change the color if you like. I know there are doubters, but I've now done 2 boat decks with it and it's awesome. On the odd chance of some stains, give it a good scrubbing, and re coat. I'm not affiliated with Kiwigrip, but I do wish I'd invented it
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:41   #26

Thanks. We already have the awlgrip. We considered kiwigrip, but we were worried how it would hold up to a 70lb pitbull with nails, and if it would stain, since the Mexican paint would not come clean, and if u rubbed it hard enough it came off.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:54   #27

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
So far here's what's happened on the boat:
Sanding the deck
Stripper and wire brush the deck
Wash the deck
Stripper and wire brush the deck again
Wash the deck

We're still seeing this crappy paint flaking off. So they'e sanding again, this time by hand with 36 grit.

I just tested a spot that was sanded. Put a piece of blue tape down, pulled it up, it's got paint specs all over it. So I got a towel, put acetone on it, scrubbed the same spot, put tape down again, pulled it up, still has paint on it.

I suggested they soda blast, but he says that will take too much off.

Any ideas? We're about to lose our minds!
I'm not sure what "taking off too much" means. So it would be worth discussing that with them further. And in order to be assured of a good bond you may need to take off everything to a depth below that of the nonskid prior to when the bad paint was applied. Which could mean down to bare glass, then seal/epoxy coat as with a hull below the waterline type barrier coat. Followed by new deck paint & nonskid. And yes, it's painful to even have to type this. But, the obvious concern is putting good paint atop bad.

I honestly am not sure if it would be too brutal or not to some of the deck fittings' bedding, but have you tried a power washer? Not so much to strip the bad paint, but in order to fully clean off the decks after sanding. So that you get genuine results from the tape test. As there wouldn't be much in the way of paint flakes lodged in any crevices, or nonskid, on deck.
I'd still also want to check most of the deck with the acetone & towel test, but perhaps the above would be helpful?

And were I closer, I'd bring over a big grill & some cold ones, to help the morale of you & the yard guys. Ugh, what an undertaking this must be

PS: There's currently a thread running about nonskid options for an older Dehler. So that you might glean some ideas there, should worst come to worst, & you have to redo yours.
Also, it would be appreciated if you keep us apprised of the status of things. And what ultimately works, both for removing the current (bad) paint, & what you do from there.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:08   #28

The pressure washer is a great idea! Thanks!

This guy came by the boat earlier, said the problem is the guy painting the boat buys his paint at a store in the Twilight Zona
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twilightzona.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	138854  
Old 03-01-2017, 08:27   #29

The pressure washer removed a lot, but it's still coming off.

They were starting with the stripper again, but I just tried a drill with a wire wheel on it and it seems to be more effective... so going to go that route.

Then of course I ask, "We're going to need primer right?"
"Si!"
"But we didn't order any primer"
"Si"
"and you know it takes 2 weeks to get"
"Si"

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 14-01-2017, 11:42   #30

Update for anybody who is still following this thread.

We had the locals completely remove the old nonskid. Glad it's all finally gone.

We had another cruiser offer to pick up our paint on his way south, saving us 2 weeks of shipping time.

Same cruiser got run off the road on his way south, and the $160 gallon of converter, the most expensive container in the bunch, died all over the back of his 3 month old Dodge Ram. He also lost a can of bottom paint, among other things, but luckily was uninjured.

So the primer gets here Monday. We will hopefully paint next week, and then we get to deal with the insurance claim for the 92' megayacht that crashed into us. The fun just doesn't stop when you're cruising.

Tags
enc, paint