Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 21:17   #1

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Mixing Alwgrip primer ratio

Can anyone confirm that the Hullgard Extra primer by Awlgrip comes in premeasured amounts in their "quart" and "Gallon" cans? So I can just dump the converter into the gallon without further measurements?

The "quart" converter can is actually labeled as 16.4 fl oz which is .51 qt. or .13 gal

The "gallon" base is actually 3.29 le which is about .85 gal (not sure what "le" means but I'm guessing liters) even though the can boldly also says 1 US Gallon

That works out to the required 10:1.5 mix, I'm pretty sure

(Thank you Alwgrip for the confusing units)

I used Awlgrip Hullgard Extra on the topsides and it is still a bit soft after 24 hours. I am having adhesion problems and I can scratch it with a fingernail. Sanding with 150 grit on 5" random orbital occasionally causes strips to ruffle/come off which I can grab with fingers and keep lifting off.

This is on an old boat where I first sanded off the old paint with grit 60 and took it down to bare gel coat. (I took it even further to bare glass in one section, no difference with respect to primer issue.) Then I scrubbed the topsides with Tide powder solution, rinsed with power washer repeatedly and wiped down with alcohol before primer application with roller.

Temp was around 90F. I did three coats on topsides one after another. There was some drizzle 4 hours after application but primer was hardened by then.

I mixed all the qt converter to gal base, stirred with paddle attached to drill' applied with Glasskoter 1/8th in roller sleeves

I started sanding 24 hours after application. I think the remnants of primer on the stir paddle is still soft too so maybe not boat surface issue? Should i just wait another day or two?

Plan is to sand the Hullgard Extra primed surface , fair big problem areas with either 3M Premium Filler or just West epoxy and microballoon, and then use Highbuild primer, followed by 545 and then two-part Interlux. 50 year old boat, had crazing on gel coat but not falling apart or anything.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote