Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 10:53   #1

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Modular tool advice requested, B&D Matrix line

Hi y'all,
I'm wanting to redo/repair/upgrade my boats' interior, and it will involve some amount of woodworking and cabinetry of course.
I have a pretty good workshop at home, with more than enough tools (not really, who ever has enough "tools"), but that is some distance from the boat, so I commute periodically.

My present tools are mostly individual ones, and full sized, EG: circular saws, router, etc., heavy stuff.
I normally transport a bunch of other tools anyway for electrical and mechanical jobs, etc. Adding bunch of woodworking stuff is pushing things, my 'Burban/SUV can only carry so much, dang it.

I could do a lot of measuring and shuttling back and forth and probably get frustrated with the logistics of it, or carry half my workshop with me onto the boat and then back home; neither option is appealing.

Or invest in this 'system':
I came across a new (to me anyway) series of Black & Decker tools (I'm not trying to plug them, have no vested interests, etc., I've had good ones and bad ones from them) that seem to maybe be an ideal kit.
It's called the "Matrix Quick Connect System". Seems to be reasonably priced (until you add it all up maybe...), and might be a handy set of very portable tools (linkies below, wish I could insert some pics).
This is the overview link:
Black & Decker Power Tools

The base unit is a pretty standard portable drill (2 choices of battery power, 12&20V, and one corded), but it is designed so that the drill chuck portion can be removed and replaced with a variety of other tools on the business end, such as a small 'trim' circular saw, a sander, jig saw, router, oscillating tool, impact, etc.

After looking at this on the shelf at Wallyworld, and on the B&D website, I'm thinking this suite of fairly lightweight and portable tools might be an ideal one for the purpose of periodic boat work (not living aboard all the time, yet), or onboard ones.
Of course, the $$$ seem to add up a bit, but no need to get everything at once; the subtools can be acquired as needed or not (like the impact-drill head is probably not essential).

Has anybody used this line or type of portable tools? And if so, any advice or comment on their utility, durability, etc.?
(I assume other manufacturers may have something similar)

Black & Decker 'MATRIX 20V MAX* Lithium Drill/Driver' and two attachment tool links below:

Black & Decker Tools | MATRIX 20V MAX* Lithium Drill/Driver BDCDMT120

Black & Decker Tools | MATRIX Trim Saw Attachment BDCMTTS

Black & Decker Tools | MATRIX Router Attachment BDCMTR

Mahalo, J
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:57   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I don't bother with multi tool type systems. They tend to be jack of all trades stuff.

Buy individual tools made for the purpose

Dave
Old 02-08-2013, 11:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Modular tool advice requested, B&D Matrix line

Interesting concept but I'm leary of the stability of the connection for the power heads. Looks like it would be prone to sloppiness. Haven't been too thrilled with the few multi-purpose tools as the time to swap between uses takes way too much time. They also tend to be hobbyist quality which means they are under powered and prone to breakage.

If you decide to go with it, let us know how it works out.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:42   #4

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

There's no substitute for quality when it comes to tools. "Black and Decker" and "quality tools" don't belong in the same sentence.

Buy Makita, Milwaukee or Dewalt the first time. The price may hurt a bit but you won't end up regretting it.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:47   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I believe Black andDecker, Porter Cable and DeWalt are all under the same ownership. It is my understanding that B&D is cheap consumer, PC is sort of a mid grade, and DeWalt is the better line.In my experience, consumer tools don't hold up in the marine environment, I had better luck with better tools that would work when you pull them out after not using them for awhile. Also, be careful buying from the big box stores, their tools quite often are built to their specs to meet a price point.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14   #6

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

"I don't bother with multi tool type systems. They tend to be jack of all trades stuff.

Buy individual tools made for the purpose

Dave "

I have top quality, individual, bulky, heavy stuff in the workshop.
I'd rather not haul 'em around, hence the interest in these portable multi's. They don't need to be top shelf tools to fabricate some trim pieces, shelves, etc.

"Interesting concept but I'm leary of the stability of the connection for the power heads. Looks like it would be prone to sloppiness. Haven't been too thrilled with the few multi-purpose tools as the time to swap between uses takes way too much time. They also tend to be hobbyist quality which means they are under powered and prone to breakage.

If you decide to go with it, let us know how it works out.

I had the same thoughts on the drive mechanism, finally found a pic that makes it look pretty tough (not gears so much as something like an impeller shape mating, looks sturdy). Time not too important, i'm retired. They look pretty powerful for light woodworking., durability is a crapshoot of course.

"There's no substitute for quality when it comes to tools. "Black and Decker" and "quality tools" don't belong in the same sentence.

Buy Makita, Milwaukee or Dewalt the first time. The price may hurt a bit but you won't end up regretting it. __________________
R.J.(Bob) Evans"

I've got pretty good quality stuff in the workshop, just don't want to haul it around to the marina.

keepondancin
I know quality might be in issue, but these seem to be pretty tough. I looked it over at Wally's, and xrayed the B&D web pages. I'm thinking it might be worth it for the portability and flexibility.

Mahalo all so far, J

(sorry about the clumsy quoting, I don't have a handle on working this forum yet)
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:29   #7

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
There's no substitute for quality when it comes to tools. "Black and Decker" and "quality tools" don't belong in the same sentence.

Buy Makita, Milwaukee or Dewalt the first time. The price may hurt a bit but you won't end up regretting it.
You forgot Bosche. Dewalt always felt a little light/cheap for what they cost. Older Porter Cable stuff was indestructible, but after they were bought out, became little more than consumer grade. Buy quality tools. Cry once!
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 13:00   #8

Boat: Alberg 30
The new dewalt tools are very hard to beat, the 12v line from them is awesome. I recently switched to Milwaukee, but there are many things I miss about the dewalt line.
I used them every day working on boats for over a year.
The ergonomics on Dewalt 12v are hands down the best for me, much better handle shape, the bigger handles of the Milwaukee(better with the new fuel line, but still too chunky).

Great lighting on the impact driver, this makes a huge difference.
Much less weight than the Milwaukee tools.

Less fussy electronics, the Milwaukee electronics are always overriding, complaining and locking me out for a few seconds.

One charger will charge 12v, 18v batteries off of ac and dc power sources, no inverter or generator run time needed to charge.

The dewalt 12v portable light is much better for use in boats too.

I switched to the Milwaukee because there was a great sale on, and Minaret raised some valid points about them, plus I could consolidate 2 other tools into the same line. The handles, weight and light issue seemed much improved in store but in use on long days it gets tiring and is more frustrating than anticipated.

If I were only fixing my own boat I'd go back to Dewalt, I drove my tools hard, big bits, drilling steel, fiberglass etc. Driving big fasteners, working in horrible spaces.

For what I'm doing these days, a bit more pain in use, and the frustration with onboard lights are outweighed by the other benefits.

I paid under half for my dewalt tools as Milwaukee, and have since sold them to someone else who is still beating them hard. For the price it's no contest. Dewalt all the way.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 16:59   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Makita and Bosch blue for me

Dave
Old 10-08-2013, 18:31   #10

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
A wise man once scolded me as I was buying cheap tools and said" You can cuss it once when you buy it or cuss it every time you use it". Being a slow learned it took throwing a sander 30 feet from the boat to understand what he meant. A quality tool isn't brand or cost its a tool that's reliable. Combo tools have a purpose but not as a long term item on a boat. YMMV but after nearly refurbish a 52 ft ketch my vote is a drill is a. Drill not a sander.
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote