Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2021, 17:17   #31

Boat: Spindrift 43
Re: Moisture readings on deck of 1996 Hunter

You OP, are you buying the boat and joining our community???
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 18:01   #32
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Moisture readings on deck of 1996 Hunter

I’ve had 2 run in’s with well qualified surveyors and moisture meters.
The 1st was on a cat we were selling. The surveyor was telling the buyer that there was about a 1’ strip of deck running from beam to beam that was wet. When I told the surveyor there was an aluminum structural beam directly below the “wet” area he withdrew his findings.
The 2nd time was on a boat we purchased that had been struck by lightning. The surveyor taped of an area below the waterline stating the core was saturated. After grinding of the outside skin the core was found to be dry as a bone.
Moisture meters, Surveyor’s or both, who was at fault?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 18:58   #33

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I’ve had 2 run in’s with well qualified surveyors and moisture meters.
The 1st was on a cat we were selling. The surveyor was telling the buyer that there was about a 1’ strip of deck running from beam to beam that was wet. When I told the surveyor there was an aluminum structural beam directly below the “wet” area he withdrew his findings.
The 2nd time was on a boat we purchased that had been struck by lightning. The surveyor taped of an area below the waterline stating the core was saturated. After grinding of the outside skin the core was found to be dry as a bone.
Moisture meters, Surveyor’s or both, who was at fault?
This highlights why the other feedback about there not being soft spots or spongy areas is important to consider. While we deep dive into nuance, I think the important takeaway for the OP (who is likely new to this) is that you don’t have a boat full of oatmeal, and you’re unlikely to have any integrity issues based on what you described.

Are there things that would benefit from attention? I haven’t met the older boat yet that could answer no to that question. I’m guessing if you found one, it would cost a fair sight more than $47,000
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 06:38   #34

Yes, we are buying the boat. Thank you all for your insight and comments. Looking forward to picking your brains about other things in the future. ��
Gypsy-girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hunter