Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 20:07   #1

Boat: Cal 27
Moondance? Stitch n Glue 11' Cartop 1985'ish

I'm trying to remember some details about a boat I attempted to build once and I may be mixing different memories in the following. I wish I could remember the magazine I saw it in. It would have been an mid 80's to early 90's magazine that contained boat building articles. The design was advertised as an 11' cartoppable "offshore cruiser" which below that added something like, "if the shore is a small lake". It was made with stitch n glue method using plywood. It had a raised deck the you sat or lounged on. Deck had hatches to access storage area below. A suggested positive flotation solution was to use empty 2 liter bottles. The designer may have been "Thompson" or "Thomas" maybe in New York. Or maybe the sailmaker for the suggested sail was in New York. Full Size patterns were offered along with complete build instructions. The suggested sail was either Lug or Gaff.

It appears to have disappeared as I can't find any info via web searching. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
cas206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 20:26   #2

Boat: Columbia 50
Re: Moondance? Stitch n Glue 11' Cartop 1985'ish

Not that particular one, but check out cheasapeake light craft and b&b yacht designs - both sell plans for stitch and glue boats.

I have a spindrift 12 mostly completed - nesting dinghy....

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:00   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

A cartoppable dinghy with a raised deck and bottle flotation sounds like a topheavy excuse to go swimming in your small lake. Phil Bolger probably designed something that would work better and still be cartoppable. Try one of his designs:
Bolger Boats on the Net
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 17:02   #4

Thanks for the inputs. I wasn't looking for another project. Just looking for nostalgia. I' about 80% sure it was Small Boat Journal that I saw it in.
Old 14-04-2021, 08:32   #5

Re: Moondance / John Thomson, NY

So frustration at lack of information led me to blindly buy two issues of Small Boat Journal from Ebay. I was hoping to at least find an ad in the back. Completely at random, one of the issues, January 1989, featured the very boat I was looking for in the "Coast to Coast" feature. Armed with the right spelling of the last name, I came across this:
http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/01/Windance-1.jpg
http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/01/Windance-2.jpgThe Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival and Crab Feed - 2001 (Page 1)

And an index of articles shows "Moondance" in several places in Messing About in Boats Magazine.
https://www.messingaboutinboats.com/IndexofArticles

Wonder if plans still can be had somewhere...
(no stop it. don't need another project.)
Old 14-04-2021, 08:38   #6

The folks at Off Center Harbor might be able to help. Or point you towards some reference materials/persons.

https://www.offcenterharbor.com/tour/
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 09:14   #7

Boat: Columbia 50

looks like the builder made some covers for the footwells - not a 'deck', per say.....
makes for a nice napping platform, but i'd want the covers removed when sailing.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote