Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2008, 17:25   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Mounting a propane tank on sternrail

For the electric solenoid valve...what kind should I get, since it will be out in the elements?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 19:33   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I would look at Sintex products first. I'm not clear why it would be out in the elemnets? It attaches after the connection to the tank and the tank is usually in a propane locker. This isn't the stuff you want out in the open.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 20:22   #3
Eternal Member

The vessel has the tank mounted on the sternrail....there is/was no propane locker.

Could this have been (ahem) "rigged" by the previous owner because he was a cheapskate?

The hose is in place but there is no solenoid valve anywhere....

(and people think Atomic 4s are dangerous)
Old 20-07-2008, 20:56   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Could this have been (ahem) "rigged" by the previous owner because he was a cheapskate?
Being right has it's problems. This in not a factory option I'm sure. Lots of 27 ft boats have propane done right even. I'm thinking sawzall with some fiberglass. How about the aft section of a lazerette? I just saw one this past weekend. Not uncommon. You don't have to have a 20 lb tank.

You would want to run the solenoid inside first using the shortest run possible. Dealing with an exposed propane tank and hose sounds like a trick and an exposed steel tank will provide a great view watching the rust grow. Not an easy solution on the rail. Not a desirable solution at best. I don't want to speculate on how bad it could be.

Rule of thumb: Don't let things done in haste by the PO deter you from rethinking things correctly. Some people just assume the PO knew what they were doing and of course they would not do things improper.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 21:48   #5
GreatKetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Being right has it's problems. This in not a factory option I'm sure. Lots of 27 ft boats have propane done right even. I'm thinking sawzall with some fiberglass. How about the aft section of a lazerette? I just saw one this past weekend. Not uncommon. You don't have to have a 20 lb tank.

You would want to run the solenoid inside first using the shortest run possible. Dealing with an exposed propane tank and hose sounds like a trick and an exposed steel tank will provide a great view watching the rust grow. Not an easy solution on the rail. Not a desirable solution at best. I don't want to speculate on how bad it could be.

Rule of thumb: Don't let things done in haste by the PO deter you from rethinking things correctly. Some people just assume the PO knew what they were doing and of course they would not do things improper.
I disagree, a little, with Pblais here. Just because something isn't a factory option doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Exterior tanks can be perfectly safe, if done correctly.

On the other hand he certainly has some good points, steel tanks exposed in a salt water world, won't last long. Aluminum or the new fiberglass tanks are a must for exterior salt water applications. Any rubber hose exposed to the sun is a bad idea, BUT any run from a propane tank is supposed to be a single length of copper tubing anyway right up to the stove.

You MUST have an easy way to shut off the propane from inside the boat, but that doesn't HAVE to be an electric valve. If you can rig a ball valve with a handle extension through the deck or exterior bulkhead that can be a perfectly valid approach.
Old 20-07-2008, 22:30   #6

Boat: Pearson 35 -Miss Annis
Roscoe

This is my first post so please forgive me if it's a little crude.I have two tanks on my Pearson35 a small one in the propane locker and a 40 pounder on the rail they are both controled by a Trident monotering system the control handel that chooses which tank and the selonid valve are located in the laserath It has been in use for over a year with no problems
Roscoe
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 00:33   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
LPG Cylinders should be protected from the weather & mechanical damage.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 11:57   #8
Eternal Member

Thanks so much for the insights....I await more.

I will be down at the boat tomorrow to "rethink" this.

Personnally, I am not to "hepped up" about the stern rail...if anything it is butt ugly.
Old 21-07-2008, 12:15   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also ABYC Standard A-1, “Marine Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) Systems”
http://www.abycinc.org/committees/A-01.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 13:18   #10
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Hi,
I recently did a complete propane install on my 33 morgan. My answer was to build a locker that was installed in the rear port locker. I built the locker of plywood and glassed over it. It has a through hull mounted in the bottom and is plumbed to the stern just above waterline. I bought two 10 lb fiberglass propane tanks from downwind marine in california. They were less expensive than aluminum and go 15 years before an inspection is mandated. They are very light and you can see the propane level in the tank. bought a trident regulator, valve,switch panel , solenoid, guages setup on ebay for a pittance. The supply line was supplied by goodyear rubber products. I asked for their best and they gave me some teflon encased hi tech stuff for $9 a foot. ouch! A single 10 lb tank lasts us a little over a month doing all our cooking on our 2 burner hillerand ?sp? w/oven. We bake bread biscuits etc... in this figure. Youre installation is what you make it. I know someone who keeps his tanks in his cockpit with no shutoff except the tanks valve, he simply turns it off and on when he uses it. Its just as safe as long as your diligent about closing it every time.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote