Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2023, 11:20   #1

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Mounting new DF sender

I recently acquired a new depth finder, complete with cabling and sender. The old one worked fine until the LCD display curled up and died. The original AirMar P-79 was bedded inside the hull with clear silicone that was about tge only position it would work

Not being able to procure just the 2" round display, I ended up purchasing a new Hawkeye unit with a multi-fit/use transponder.
Piece of cake I figger'd. Fished the cable under the sole, installed the head unit and tapped in power. Tried several methods of applying the sender to previous, level splotches of silicone....no joy!

Spent hours trying to locate instruction from Hawkeye, to no/little avail, as all were those obsequious Rorschach test B&W rectangles, leading to more rectangles of doom and so on.
Techhelp , once located, was contacted as required, by email. Response was not to what I asked;but request for more info and video/installation. Gave up on that and went to u-toob where I found a few instructions.

Seems , they want the sender mounted to the hull ONLY with slow-setting epoxy. I did the "water baggie" test next to the first placement and as long as I keep the baggie full of water, it's fine.

Finally, the big question....
What if, once glued in w/epoxy, the damm'd thing doesn't work?
OK....check before it sets, hence the "slow" epoxy
Wiggle it. Pull it out and re-insert and keep trying...before epoxy sets?
Rig some sorta prop system to hold it in place while the slow epoxy cures
Hope and pray I don't have to hammer/chisel the thing out and start again?

Oh! I **did** after all this , find a last page, last line ,small print ref to an available pig- tail adapter to convert three wire to the "new&improved" barrel connector for only $XX !

Any ideas from the crew here would be appreciated....thanks
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 15:28   #2

Boat: Grampian 30
Re: Mounting new DF sender

I mounted my Hawkeye transducer inside the hull with plain old 5 minute epoxy from the dollar store. It works perfectly. A thin film is all that is needed, just enough to ensure it is floating against the hull and not touching, so basically smear it on and gently press into place and then let it set.

How to remove you ask? Well, I had to do that too because the first time I set it, it slid out of place slightly and I didn't notice until after the epoxy had hardened. A piece of wood placed against the side of the transponder and a light tap with a hammer and it popped off just fine. I sanded the location, cleaned it, put a temporary piece of wood in place so the transponder could rest against it while the epoxy set and reinstalled.

Still performing well many years later.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote