Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2019, 18:25   #1

Boat: Custom
Mounting Stanchion Base

I have a timber boat that has never had handrails. As I get older, I find myself needing them more so I am going to install them.

The boat has quite a large toe rail and also plenty of clear deck.

My initial inclination was to mount the stanchions to the Toe rail as it would mean no more holes in the deck. The downside is that you end up with 24 dome nuts on the outside of the toerail to bolt through the stanchion base. In addition, I am not entirely sure that the flex on the toe rail as people and fenders pull themselves will do any favours.

The alternative is the standard square or triangular mounted to the deck. This obviously means holes in the deck.

My conundrum is two fold

1. Deck or toe rail mount?
  2. Fastenings to use in either case. I figured I would bolt them in with backing plates. Shipwright has suggested we use self tapping screws. I am not sure I want my or my crews life dependant upon 4 self tapping screws.
Where would you mount them and what fastenings would you use?

Thanks in advance

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 19:54   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Mounting Stanchion Base

If you can I would mount them to the toe-rail as well as the deck.

Then you worry about leaks through the deck mount holes. Hopefully I have eliminated that possibility as I plan to mount them on top of 8 mm nylon(?) pads. (They wouldn't have to be that thick)

I plan to Sikaflex the pad to the deck and then Sikaflex (and bolt) the stanchion to the pad. That way any water washing over the deck will bypass the stanchion mount and wont be able to go down the sides of the bolts and cause a leak..

Fingers crossed.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 20:31   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
I have a timber boat that has never had handrails. As I get older, I find myself needing them more so I am going to install them.

My initial inclination was to mount the stanchions to the Toe rail as it would mean no more holes in the deck. The downside is that you end up with 24 dome nuts on the outside of the toerail to bolt through the stanchion base. In addition, I am not entirely sure that the flex on the toe rail as people and fenders pull themselves will do any favours.

The alternative is the standard square or triangular mounted to the deck. This obviously means holes in the deck.

My conundrum is two fold

2. Fastenings to use in either case. I figured I would bolt them in with backing plates. Shipwright has suggested we use self tapping screws. I am not sure I want my or my crews life dependant upon 4 self tapping screws.

Thanks in advance
Johnathon, I would mount to the deck close to the toerail, the heaviest good quality bases you can find through bolted with real backing plates, not fender washers, and I would use the old trick of countersinking the top of the hole prior to installation so that the flexible adhesive/sealant used forms an "o ring" at the deck rather than just reducing to a thin film under the base plate. You are right to want them bolted, not screwed.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 21:06   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

One man’s toerail is another man’s bulwark. It would help if you could include a picture of what you have so that we posters would have a better idea of what might work best. A “large toe rail” would seem a great place to mount stanchions. It would avoid putting holes in the deck and the ensuing leaks. On a 40’ boat, 24 dome nuts should not be that noticeable. Putting the nuts on the inside might make them less noticeable, too. Would the stanchions be centered on top of the toerail, with base flanges coming down inboard and outboard to be bolted? Or would the stanchions be mounted alongside the toerail, with flanges bolted flat against it? (like this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Hand-R...8AAOSwAS5dDT2l)
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 21:28   #5

Attachment 198794
Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
One man’s toerail is another man’s bulwark. It would help if you could include a picture of what you have so that we posters would have a better idea of what might work best. A “large toe rail” would seem a great place to mount stanchions. It would avoid putting holes in the deck and the ensuing leaks. On a 40’ boat, 24 dome nuts should not be that noticeable. Putting the nuts on the inside might make them less noticeable, too. Would the stanchions be centered on top of the toerail, with base flanges coming down inboard and outboard to be bolted? Or would the stanchions be mounted alongside the toerail, with flanges bolted flat against it? (like this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Hand-R...8AAOSwAS5dDT2l)

Thanks for the reply, and you are right, a picture is worth a thousand words. The deck line is just above the chrome trim. Sorry, I can't get the photo to appear the right way.

I have been looking at those exact mounts for this project so will mount them alongside. Have you used these mounts before?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slip.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	198795  

Old 29-08-2019, 06:10   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

Thanks for the photo. That is almost a bulwark, and would definitely be where I would mount my stanchions. You do not want holes through the deck on a wooden boat if you can help it! Access through the toerail is simpler than getting in to tighten nuts up near the hull/deck join, where carlins, sheer clamps, and deck beams will all conspire to make siting each deck-mounted stanchion and it’s backing plate a total nightmare. I have not used that style base mount, (my toenails are just toe high) but they look like they should work for what you need. You might even have enough height on your toe rail to use two per stanchion, to make them rock solid.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 06:42   #7

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Pump DAP Dynaflex 230 white into holes and put on screws.
I have done this and it waterproofs and seal the wood holes.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 07:36   #8

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post

My initial inclination was to mount the stanchions to the Toe rail as it would mean no more holes in the deck. The downside is that you end up with 24 dome nuts on the outside of the toerail to bolt through the stanchion base. In addition, I am not entirely sure that the flex on the toe rail as people and fenders pull themselves will do any.

My conundrum is two fold

Thanks in advance
Thanks for not using self tapping screws.
Your safety is paramount.
While stanchions, and lifelines are not meant for sitting on or supporting lots of load regularly they should be mounted with bolts and backing plates.
I used 1/4-20 ss bolts with nyloc nuts, backing plates.
Then thru bolted to deck with 3m 4200 caulking.
Do not forget that if you've got a liner on the inside, you'll have to make sure that when you fasten these, you have a non compressible,"sandwich" of deck and underdeck areas.
That's required to be sure of no leaks, and strength against flexing.
You may need to build up areas with epoxy or shims to supply a flat even surface to bolt and adhere to.
If using wood blocks, be sure they are not soft wood, but something like Purple Heart.
If done with care the first time you'll be sure that it's not going to leak or pull out.
The type that mount to the toerail and side of the Hull are a good choice as well.
You'll have to decide which will be easiest to install.
On top of it all shorter stanchions are more robust, and have more load carrying ability.
Remember these are to slow or stop you from slipping over without something to grab on to, not really meant to support your entire load of body weight, or clip onto for a teather.
Good luck!
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 23:10   #9

Thanks for all the great advice. I have a plan now and will post pictures once done.