Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2017, 12:53   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Multi-level organizer?

My boat has two three rope clutches on the cabin top. But I'm trying to set up the boat to be completely handleable from the cockpit. I've got the two main halyards, two lazy jacks and one topping lift going to the six positions. But I still need at least two reefing lines and perhaps a line for the spinnaker pole when it's being used for the jib wing-in-wing downwind.

I have ordered four position clutches but there's barely enough space for three lines side-by-side on the cabin top between the hatch and grab rail.

Should I get a four line organizer, and squeeze the four lines into that space? Or, does anyone make a two level organizer where I could stack four lines in the same space?

Any other suggestions?
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 13:03   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Multi-level organizer?

Stacked deck organizers.

http://www.harken.com/productcategory.aspx?taxid=1331

But it sounds like you've got things led aft that don't need to be led aft.....lazy jacks to the cockpit?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 13:39   #3

Re: Multi-level organizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Stacked deck organizers.

http://www.harken.com/productcategory.aspx?taxid=1331

But it sounds like you've got things led aft that don't need to be led aft.....lazy jacks to the cockpit?
I don't know how you use your lazy jacks, but mine are taut when we raise and lower the sail. Then, we loosen them to allow the sail to fill properly. We had them originally on the mast, but someone has to go up on the foredeck to trim them. Now, everything can be done from the cockpit.

This makes it very easy and fast to raise and lower sails when I'm sailing alone.
Old 17-08-2017, 13:43   #4

Hey, those are exactly what I'm looking for! Funny how none of the catalogs I've looked in show them. Thanks
Old 17-08-2017, 13:57   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I don't know how you use your lazy jacks, but mine are taut when we raise and lower the sail. Then, we loosen them to allow the sail to fill properly. We had them originally on the mast, but someone has to go up on the foredeck to trim them. Now, everything can be done from the cockpit.

This makes it very easy and fast to raise and lower sails when I'm sailing alone.
It's a school of thought thing.....I have nothing led to the cockpit. For me it's easier to single hand like this, and there is less friction on the lines.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote