Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 09:26   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Multi-year shrink wrap

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to post a new thread, so I'm replying to another post and changing the title. Hope it works.

Anyhow, like many owners, we may not be launching our Cape Dory 31 sailboat this summer. She is presently stored and winterized at a yard in Maine under shrink wrap (with vents).

Does shrink wrap last for 20 months in Maine?

is it a problem to leave shrink wrap on a boat for 20 months? This would entail leaving it on over one summer. Is that a problem?

Also, for winter storage we leave all ports and hatches closed under the wrap. Should we open all these over the summer?

We store the cushions on board and we assume we should take off the fabric ones for the summer (some are vinyl). Correct?

We will visit the boat in the spring and fall and top-up the Odyssy AGM batteries with a specialized charger. Anything else for the electrical system?

Lastly, is there anything else we need to do to the engine? It has been winterized with fresh oil and all fittings and other corrosion points sprayed with fluid film. Anything else?

Any wisdom will be appreciated.

Jenn and Terry
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:05   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Multi-year shrink wrap

I have moved your thread for you.

Can't answer the shrink question, but if the engine has been winterised then leave well alone. You will do more harm running it lightly on the hard for a short time.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 13:33   #3

Re: Multi-year shrink wrap

Does shrink wrap last for 20 months in Maine?

It certainly lasts several years. I am aware of several of various sizes that has been under wrap for past 3 + years, this is farther north (46 N), so should be all right, local conditions (hurricane, windfalls, vandals) will dictate. Perhaps those lucky enough to live in Maine will contribute here.

Also, for winter storage we leave all ports and hatches closed under the wrap. Should we open all these over the summer?

Ventilation is a needed, but not solitary condition for mould prevention. Open em. Best have screens in place as attempt to deter rodents. Buggers ate my vinyl seats two winters ago. Similarly, leaving any fabric coverings on cushions aboard will likely give a poor result.

Keep calm and isolate on
POH
ExCoelis is offline   Reply With Quote