Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2020, 18:37   #16

Re: My boat is in the yard and getting filthy

Thank you. I’ll check it out.
Old 02-02-2020, 22:50   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I presume you think I should be okay with this or take some blame because I chose the yard? Do you let people use you as a door mat or is it just others you expect to accept such treatment?
I'll answer these questions as if it were myself to whom you wrote it. To me, it has nothing to do with blame, and everything to do with responsibility. You signed a contract; I suppose, as an intelligent person, you read it first. Christmas and Thanksgiving breaks are normal. In Oz, it lasts from about 23 Dec till Feb. The dates are a little different in the States, but they are normal breaks. So yes, I think you bear responsibility for being au courant with your contract. I haven't read anything about your trying to cajole permission to clean your boat after business hours, all I've seen in the thread is what makes me think you have an unrealistic assessment of what is your due.

Yes, I think you should learn from the situation. More understanding is your friend.

NO, I do not doormat myself, nor do I expect you to, either. However, in working with others, it seems really important to me to keep in focus that they are other human beings, with all the stresses to which all of us are prey: and therefore, to try to treat them with kindness and/or compassion.

Ann
Old 03-02-2020, 09:12   #18

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

My experience is that contractors and yards don't care about cleanliness or clean-up of your personal property at all - unless they can charge you for it. I'd put some pressure on them, due to the time delays, and try to use that to insist you really need to be allowed to clean-up the boat after hours. The time delays are causing mold, mildew, to grow, etc. Be nice, and polite, but insistent - as you do not want to see your boat damaged due to maintenance neglect, and time delays the yard is responsible for. Everything in the commercial marine world seems to boil down to screw the owner... Good luck-
Old 03-02-2020, 10:03   #19

Boat: Pearson 10M

Seems like a classic case of supply and demand. The supply of boatyards is low, therefore they can demand obscene prices.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:30   #20

Not being able to WASH your boat is a new one on me. I suppose anything is possible. I would not do business with such an establishment.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:50   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
My experience is that contractors and yards don't care about cleanliness or clean-up of your personal property at all - unless they can charge you for it. I'd put some pressure on them, due to the time delays, and try to use that to insist you really need to be allowed to clean-up the boat after hours. The time delays are causing mold, mildew, to grow, etc. Be nice, and polite, but insistent - as you do not want to see your boat damaged due to maintenance neglect, and time delays the yard is responsible for. Everything in the commercial marine world seems to boil down to screw the owner... Good luck-
Actually some very good advice here. And yes, impress upon them that any further mold and dirt accumulation could do lasting damage to your boat. Did your quote or contract specify a maximum repair time ? If not, you have a problem.
Old 04-02-2020, 00:54   #22

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Well we don’t know whats been done andnot done. My guess is if they work on it they have to clean it beforehand. Im no fan of ins or boatyards, and together theyspell trouble . You need to stay in contact with all involved constantly. And still don’t ever expect to be made whole . Tgats not what ive experience. Squeaky wheels get the grease. Start making noise and plenty of it .
Old 04-02-2020, 06:20   #23

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
1. Should I expect the yard to be responsible for detailing the boat before I take it back or should the owner of the boat that hit me be responsible for absorbing those costs should the yard try to charge for those services? 2. Are my expectations too high?
I sorry to hear that but in my experience in the SF Bay unless you contract with the yard to clean the boat they will do what you contract for.

When I picked up my Hunter 386 after being out of the water for 3 years and Hunter 46 after 3 weeks out of the water and spending thousands for maintenance for each I had to spend the next month cleaning each boat's filthy topside then waxed the fiberglass and polished the stainless steel.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
I am complaining because for what they charge and the time they’ve been taking (read the posts) it’s ridiculous that I can’t simply wash my boat and neither will they unless they write up a work order.

I presume you think I should be okay with this or take some blame because I chose the yard?
It seems you've chosen to work outside of insurance (...why?) and to manage the job yourself... so the only logical answer is ...yes, if things are going sideways, it's your problem to resolve.

From doing some work in the boat trades, and from following a few insurance jobs... I've found it always costs more than expected, and takes longer. But if it's being done through insurance, it's all their hassle. And insurance companies are usually better than the average boat owner at navigating the system and negotiating with the yard. No yard wants a bad rep with insurance, else they won't get more insurance business.

(my experience with boat and car insurance repairs around here is that they generally DO make you "whole", give or take a deductible)

We all sympathize with the hassles and delays you're experiencing, and hope that they are resolved quickly. As the manager of your own repair job, you need to get a handle on all costs involved in the repair, including boat cleaning, and secure a commitment for payment from the other boatowner. Then contract with the yard or other providers to perform all required services.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:57   #25

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2

I PERSONALLY THINK YOU ARE FOCUSING ON A SYMPTOM, NOT THE CAUSE. SYMPTOM IS A DIRTY BOAT AS A RESULT OF EXCESSIVE YARD TIME, THE CAUSE IS EXCESSIVE YARD TIME ... FORGET THE DIRT AND FOCUS YOUR ENERGIES WITH GETTING THE JOB COMPLETED PROPERLY ASAP. YOU CAN ONLY BRING A LIMITED AMOUNT OF PROBLEM ISSUES TO THE BOAT YARD FOR THEM TO ADDRESS ... OTHERWISE THE SIMPLY SEE YOU AS A PROBLEM AND MINIMIZE ANY COMMUNICATION WITH YOU. THE ADAGE THAT A SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE MIGHT NOT APPLY AT YOUR YARD, RATHER THEY MAY OPERATE UNDER THE CLICK AND CLACK / NPR CAR TALK SOLUTION OF "JUST TURN UP THE RADIO".
Closed Thread

Tags
boat