Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2011, 02:52   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

My Substitute for Curtains :-)

Boat never had any when purchased - simply cheap (looking) track

I was going to get some curtains made, and I even created some custom fittings for a new track (with brass rods ). But Curtains not free

But what I tried in the summer was these:-

Made out of vinyl foam.

I tried 2 versions, one with a silver backing (bubble insulation!) and the other with simply plain vinyl (so only 1 layer of foam inside).......I couldn't tell the difference in "performance" - both always cool to the touch, admittedly I am not in the Tropics ..........I decided to go for the only vinyl version because a) makes it a bit easier to put in place and b) I ran out of bubble insulation

My windows have a condensation trap that holds them in place nicely - but would work as well with a couple of "suckers".

BTW that top left cut edge is deliberate - makes easier to remove

Pros:-

Cheap
Store flat
Keeps out prying eyes - 100%.
Guaranteed privacy...........at night

Cons:-

A bit of a fiddle to make.

Anyway, thought I would throw that into the pot
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 03:26   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: My Substitute for Curtains :-)

That's much tidier than using brass rods, I'd say. How would you attach suckers to them (We don't have condensation traps)?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 04:08   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
That's much tidier than using brass rods, I'd say. How would you attach suckers to them (We don't have condensation traps)?
Drill a hole in 'em

I had a few suckers around (i think they are called suction cups) - exactly the same idea as car window shades:-

Foldable Car Black Mesh Side Window Sun Shades with Suction Cups (44 x 36CM/2-Pack)

In this case I would probably use 2.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:14   #4

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Very cool idea there. I'll have to keep that in mind.

I remember when I lived on my Grampian. She came with really ugly curtains which I instantly tossed. For most of the summer I lived without curtains, but one day, after Terri and I had started seeing each other, that changed.

We were smooching in the main cabin, and she glanced up to see one of our friends gazing back with a smile on his face. OMG what a kerfuffle. So, to keep her from going even further with the cursing, I grabbed a can of spray paint and painted the ports. A light buff color if I remember correctly, and that stopped the noise. Next day I cleaned up the over spray and left them painted for the balance of the time I owned the boat. When the sun was on that side, they had a nice glow to them, and no one could see in or out.

Of course, I expect the next owner wasn't too happy about cleaning them off again.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:51   #5

I think you could make something similar using magnets and a rigid piece of wood or metal.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:21   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I think you could make something similar using magnets and a rigid piece of wood or metal.
I think it's a case of whatever works / what odds 'n' ends are floating around and simply trying ideas out.

FWIW I was originally thinking about external sun shades, just thought would give internal a go and see what happens.

Of course I did (and still do!) have lots of other things I could (and should? ) have spent the time (and noodle power ) on - but, as my school reports used to say: "easily distracted"
Old 11-12-2011, 06:26   #7

Boat: Mason 43

Our boat came with cuphooks on either side of the ports but no curtains or rods. I strung some thin shock cord between the hooks and my wife found some solid blue cloth napkins at a thrift store. 14 curtains for under $20, labor to hem the curtains not included. she made me take her out to dinner, I probably would have been better off bying curtains.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:41   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

DOJ - I'm surprised your dock neighbors didn't buy and install curtains on your boat a long time ago...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 13:29   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
DOJ - I'm surprised your dock neighbors didn't buy and install curtains on your boat a long time ago...

Mark
I was always careful to check the quay for strolling tourists before having a p#ss in a bucket (we iz sophisticated over here - and don't use the sink ).