Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2020, 06:04   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Mystery Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post

It's not a post hole digger but a handle and grip for a crucible.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 06:12   #17

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

The first three sockets are for a specially headed bolt, Wotname has some experience with these on an old Yanmar he was working on. Don't know what the specific name of the head type is.

The second item is used to set potted plants in holes.

The third item is associated with weaving or sewing.

Two and three are obvious guesses...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 06:14   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The US Navy went from required celestial to not teaching celestial at the academy to requiring a celestial plot every half hour from an officer. When I was learning a year or so ago one of the best plotting instruction YouTubes was by a petty officer.

I have not learned enough to know how they continue that at night. Perhaps with a bubble sextant.

Their close quarters navigation, such as in Tokyo Bay, seems to be more of a problem.
Old 25-09-2020, 06:36   #19

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I know very little about taking sights with a sextant but as far as I know at night they take sights on various stars. Then by using a "nautical almanac" you can convert the sight to a position on earth.

I have just noticed you can download a free nautical almanac.

https://www.nauticalalmanac.it/en/na...l-almanac.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 07:24   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The USNavy never stopped doing CelNav in ships, it was being done by the enlisted. Several years ago they realized that by not teaching to officer candidates later when they became officers they would not be able to effectively manage the enlisted personnel since they couldn’t do it themselves.

At morning and evening twilight when the stars are out and the horizon is still visible you can shoot a round of stars and get a real fix.
Thru the night one can generally only shoot the moon and then only if it is bright enough to illuminate the horizon under it. So generally the best you will do at night is single lines of position and running fixes. Dead reckoning at night is more likely. If conditions are very good at the full moon it might be possible to shoot stars.

During the day you will generally only be able to shoot the sun so LoPs and running fixes. During certain times of the month you may be able to shoot the moon during the day. If you are extremely lucky you might be able to see Venus or Sirius but I would never count an that.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote