Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 10:21   #16

Re: Natural Alternatives To Teak

I found that particular stock of sapele finicky when it came to bringing out its beauty. A natural finish brought about a dull caramel color that wasn't attractive at all. We mixed about 20 different dye combinations before finally settling on one.

We saw a Blue Jackett at Strictly Sail and they used sapele for their interior cabinetry. I haven't heard of any instances where it has been used on the exterior of a boat. It's a lot like mahogany and is actually in the mahogany family but I find it less dense than African mahogany.

The sapele tree grows to about 300' with the first branches found at around 200'. So you get a lot of clear lumber out of it.
Old 23-11-2014, 10:31   #17

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
The sapele tree grows to about 300' with the first branches found at around 200'. So you get a lot of clear lumber out of it.
I was under the impression that it was a sustainable wood? 300' trees are not that.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 13:14   #18

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I rebuilt my cockpit instrument panel with salvaged Teak and Khaya (African Mahogany) in order to match the color and grain of the original Teak. I used Sapele to replace trim in my head to match the original redder Mahogany used below deck. Both seem to have adequate rot resistance, reasonable price, and I think are plantation wood. Over the years, I've enjoyed Dr. Richard Jagels The University of Maine - Office of Human Resources - Dr. Richard Jagels writing regarding wood species and sustainability.
Old 23-11-2014, 16:51   #19

Boat: Intrepid 9 meter, 29.5 feet

We have some black locust here in New Hampshire, and I have been fortunate enough to be given a log. I like it as a substitute for interior trim, because it has a similar grain and color, but I think it lacks teaks dimensional stability (dimensional response to change in moisture content). It dulls tools like teak does, and is some what heavier.
Old Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 17:05   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mahogony is used to make tong handles in the clam and oyster industry. They are long and thin and very strong and exposed to the elements.

I used a bit of Purple Heart to make a holder for my wind turbine. I took a block, drilled a hole of the right size with a hole saw, then cut it in half to make a clamping piece. I then drilled some holes for 1/4-20 bolts to hold it together. It checked and cracked badly after two years. A big hunk fell out.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 18:10   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Julie,

Pterocarpus indicus is what PNG rosewood is. I think it would be too soft for decking or cabin sole usage, but it makes lovely cupboard and bulkhead trip. Ours has aged to a color quite like teak. FWIW

Ann
Old 23-11-2014, 20:22   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Does anyone have experience using Melaleuca (M. quinquenervia) lumber for anything? It was brought to Florida from Australia to dry up the Everglades. It takes up huge amounts of water and has become a real problem.

I once took a branch and band sawed a small slab out of it. It looked like nice wood with a slight pink color when it dried. Nobody in Florida would miss it if it was harvested to extinction here.
Old 25-11-2014, 10:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Julie,

Pterocarpus indicus is what PNG rosewood is. I think it would be too soft for decking or cabin sole usage, but it makes lovely cupboard and bulkhead trip. Ours has aged to a color quite like teak. FWIW

Ann
Ann,

I only have one piece of rosewood and it was sold as Amazon rosewood. A guy who works at the hardwood store here said it was from stock he's had at home since the 60's.

It's pretty hard but I'm not sure how it would stand up to moisture. I haven't used it yet. I'm waiting for the right time to use it as a fingerboard on a guitar or bass.

I didn't start getting into the "exotic" woods until about 5 years ago. In a very general sense, it seems tropical forest woods are more impervious to insects and moisture. New England woods are best used on projects not constantly subjected to insects and moisture. Again, a very general statement. This whole thing about woods used in marine environments is pretty new to me.
Old 25-11-2014, 11:12   #24

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

There are cork composites that are quite durable, light, sound proofing, good traction when wet and it is sustainable.

Home

Cork - Yacht Decking | Teakdecks Boatdecks Decks Teak Cork

Not cheap.
Old 28-11-2014, 12:46   #25

Boat: Northerner 28

I have planked my companionway hatch with Merbau (Kwila) as a trial before planking the deck and it has been very successful. Coming up to three years now in Australian conditions and it has held up beautifully.

Merbau leaches a kind of tannin which puts a lot of people off using it, but, once it has all leached out the timber goes a lovely light honey colour. I used a standard size (49mm x 19mm) available at any building supplier and ripped it into two 8mm thick planks. It is easy to find vertical grain in lengths to 4.5m. I spread SIKA on the underside of each plank, clamped in place for a couple of days and then caulked the 5mm gaps with SIKA. Hit it with a belt-sander and it looks great. Total cost to plank the decks on my 28' Northerner is going to be around $1000 AUD.

This weekend will see new cockpit coamings fitted, also solid Merbau at around $200 all up....
freebooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 13:22   #26

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Rosawa is used in the islands on boat decks. It has the same machining properties as teak
ie lubing the knives. It is kinda hard on them as well.
IIRC, it is related to teak. Hard to get anything other than juvenile though. You need to pick through it.
I have used it a lot on outdoor handrails. I prefer it to Merbau (Kwila) as it is way less prone to splinters and has a nice feel to it. Holds up well, but is attacked by wasps, which peel it for some reason.

Welcome to Waiqele Sawmill Limited - Fiji's Most Prominent Timber Supplier
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote