Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 03:38   #1

Need Advice on Locking Set Screws

Looking for advice on the best way to secure the set screws for my cutless bearing. My issue is that the threads in my stern tube are fiberglass and I am concerned that Blue Lock-Tite will either not be effective or will clog the threads for future removal/installation.
I have a product from Vibra-Tite called VC-3 and was wondering if anyone was familiar with this product and whether it might be the appropriate solution for my dilemma?
I do not have enough wall thickness in the stern tube to double up set screws, so that isn't an option I'm afraid...
Thanks in advance for any help!
Jsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 03:45   #2

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: Need Advice on Locking Set Screws

Drill through them crossways where they are exposed and then wire them together with seizing wire. Bruce.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 03:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Drill through them crossways where they are exposed and then wire them together with seizing wire. Bruce.
Thanks Bruce. Unfortunately the screws are 3/8" 1/4-20's and set flush. Even if I were to get longer ones I'm not sure if I have enough width to drill through them with out boring and tapping a larger hole for larger screws. I want to avoid going larger because the shaft is in the boat and tapping a new hole would be doable but difficult....
Old 18-04-2013, 04:06   #4
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

You could just wait a few weeks and the barnacles will lock it in place for you.

Could you epoxy a metal thread insert into the fiberglass and then use thread lock, metal on metal?
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 12:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
You could just wait a few weeks and the barnacles will lock it in place for you.

Could you epoxy a metal thread insert into the fiberglass and then use thread lock, metal on metal?
I could, but right now the threads are clean and in great shape. I suppose I could try the locktite and epoxy in threads the next time I need to change the CB. The factory actually used red in the dimples and nothing on the threads. The problem with doing this is one of the holes is facing down making gravity the enemy.