Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 13:50   #1

Boat: O'Day 302
Need advice on Seacock plumbing

I am working on replacing all my thru-hulls and seacocks as they were original, corroded, and the boat is out of the water. I have all new Groco hardware and am anxious to get it in.

The original system had a Groco strainer only for the engine raw water intake and not for the head raw water intake. I wish to install an identical strainer for the head, but cannot figure out how to best route it.

The original system had a bend in the engine raw water intake hose (pictured) as it entered the strainer and had a hose that connected with a male to male fitting as it left the Groco strainer to connect the strainer to the actual hose that goes to the engine impellor pump. I was hoping to eliminate this connector hose as I wasn't a big fan of the male to male adapter, running it all the way to the strainer. (Not pictured is a T connection on the output side that goes to a freshwater wash down pump for the deck.)

(Please ignore the messy disaster of crap everywhere in this photo. I am only trying to dry fit and route these lines).

I started putting some pieces and parts together in the bilge and realized that I would have many hoses making bends in order to install a second strainer. (Ignore the fact that I have the Groco strainer backwards right now in the photo).

I cannot put another strainer to the right of the current one as there is not enough depth in the bilge.

What would be the best way to route all this stuff? There is very little room and in some instances, the handles on the seacocks were interfering with hoses. I feel like I am missing a simple answer and was hoping that someone could give a better suggestion than what I am doing.
Mackaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 14:44   #2

Re: Need advice on Seacock plumbing

If your strainer if to the right of your foot/toe image, why would you not just change the angle in to 90 and shorten hose. I don't see a problem with any of the thru hull hoses.! I do think your exhaust hose looks to be way over do for replacement. This only an observation of the pics.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 17:28   #3

What is a foot/toe image?

I will definitely replace the exhaust hose.
Old 29-12-2015, 20:27   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

You may want to consider adding some chafe protection on the hoses going through the bulkhead.

Also, no reason to add a strainer for the head intake inside the boat - instead consider using a strainer on the hull.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 21:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I mounted my strainer in the head near the toilet where it is easy to get at. It also frees space in the engine room. I'm a big believer in straining the incoming flush water. It prevents a lot of odor problems. I use a Groco ARG-750 like your engine strainer but I think it is a bit of over kill. A strainer like these ShurFlo should be enough.
ShurFlo Raw water strainers 1/2"-1-1/4"

Of course you won't need to clean the bigger strainer as often.
Old 30-12-2015, 00:20   #6

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali

You may want to consider installing a manifold for distributing sea water from one seacock with one strainer. It could eliminate a lot of the spaghetti in the bilge, reduce the number seacocks/thoughulls in use and you will need only one strainer.
In the picture example of similar setup on my boat.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1451463611.971314.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	115848

May the good winds always be with you
Old 30-12-2015, 08:34   #7

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

If it's not too late, please read through the thru hull subjects on this web site:

Replacing Thru-Hulls and Seacocks Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

3/4" epoxy backing plates, bolting the thick bronze ballcocks down to the plates, so that you don't have to worry about them breaking off a corroded stem, thru hull screws into the ballcock, sandwiching the epoxy plate and hull in between - brilliant!!!

A lot of extra work, but it will last the life of your boat. Remember, you never know how corroded the inside of the stem is that your ballcock is threaded onto. So when you're torquing the ballcock handle because it's full of critters, you never know when it's going to crack off, flooding your boat!! This eliminates that risk.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 08:37   #8

These Groco Seacocks eliminate the stem corrosion issue and are the best way to go: GROCO MARINE PRODUCTS
Old 30-12-2015, 08:53   #9

Tim,

Thanks for the info. I have read the compass marine articles over and over and I am following the advice almost to the letter. I bought all new hardware based on what I read. It's fantastic info.

I was just trying to figure the best method as I am adding a strainer that wasn't there before and it causes a bit of a mess for routing the hoses. If I put the new seacocks in the same direction, the handle interferes with the hose. If I flip one around, the handles work but I wind up with some bends in the hoses.
Old 30-12-2015, 09:27   #10

Be sure to use non-collapsing hose with wire in it to keep it from kinking if you're turning corners with the hose. It's better to turn sweeping corners with the wire hose, rather than using bronze 90 degree turns. The 90 degree turns kill the pumps flow rates.
Old 30-12-2015, 13:56   #11

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by levm View Post
You may want to consider installing a manifold for distributing sea water from one seacock with one strainer. It could eliminate a lot of the spaghetti in the bilge, reduce the number seacocks/thoughulls in use and you will need only one strainer.
In the picture example of similar setup on my boat.Attachment 115848
Don't do this. Keep your engine on its own strainer for fewer problems.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing