Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2024, 19:47   #1

Need alternative flattening agent

I painted my entire boat with Interlux Perfection + flattening agent (2 part).
Its now time to touch up a few places and make a repair but I have found interlux has discontinued their 2 part flattening agent… I cannot find a can anywhere.

Question is… can I use Awl Grip flattening agent (urethane) with perfection? or is their another way besides sanding/buffing the gloss out?

Im lost on this one any advice is greatly appreciated.
aajora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 22:58   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Need alternative flattening agent

I look at your profile to see where you live and I couldn't find it (Must be going blind?)

https://www.interlux.com/en/us/contact

Product related questions

Whatever questions you have about our products from choosing the right ones to how to use them, our friendly technical help desk are happy to assist you.
Call +1 800 468 7589 or email us at interluxtechnicalservice@akzonobel.com.

Interlux Perfection discontinued...
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ed-285928.html
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2024, 02:13   #3

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

You could just get some silica gel powder mix it very thoroughly in a small cup with some of the paint base and then mix this into the larger paint batch you require to paint.

You use the smaller cup first as it's easier to get the silica evenly stirred in.

Silica gel is inert and used in production by paint manufacturers as matting agent for their mat or satin paint varieties.

For the amount of silica gel you need to test though.
Old 15-06-2024, 07:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
You could just get some silica gel powder mix it very thoroughly in a small cup with some of the paint base and then mix this into the larger paint batch you require to paint.

You use the smaller cup first as it's easier to get the silica evenly stirred in.

Silica gel is inert and used in production by paint manufacturers as matting agent for their mat or satin paint varieties.

For the amount of silica gel you need to test though.
This may be my only recourse, thanks for the reply.

One question, i see i can by silica gel powder from 70 mesh all the way down to 800 mesh. Im assuming smaller would be better for a non grit appearance but want to confirm.
Is the smallest mesh silica powder what I want? thanks again for the reply, I love this forum!
aajora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2024, 07:35   #5

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajora View Post
This may be my only recourse, thanks for the reply.

One question, i see i can by silica gel powder from 70 mesh all the way down to 800 mesh. Im assuming smaller would be better for a non grit appearance but want to confirm.
Is the smallest mesh silica powder what I want? thanks again for the reply, I love this forum!

Sorry I do not know about that, I'd ask for a medium sized sample and try with that. Than oder founder or courser depending on the result.

Be aware it's a really fine & light powder which requires a fair bit if stirring until it blends with the base.

Hence blend it with the base before adding the hardener.

But yes, if it's only for matting I agree finer should be better.