Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2022, 16:55   #1

Boat: Sabre 28
Need help identifying wood finish

I've been coasting on the previous owner's brightwork efforts, but the jig is up and it's time for some maintenance. Thing is I have no idea what he used for finish. Moreover, the good pastor is no longer with us so there's no asking him either.

I'm knowledgeable and skilled with non-marine coatings, but I just don't have the experience to identify this finish. It seems to have a certain pigmentation/semi-opacity, and where it's deteriorating it's starting to peel as a film. Whatever it is it has held up pretty well.

A proper refinish may be in order, but my project docket is already full for the upcoming spring. I'm hoping I can do some repair work to buy some time.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	268692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	268693  

Name:	IMG_1026.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	268694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	268695  

randomgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 16:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Need help identifying wood finish

Your good pastor sinned against you and the universe by using Cetol on his woodwork.

Good news: it removes easily with heat gun and scraper, and then you can put the finish of your choice on it, as long as you don't choose Cetol again.

Which would be a sin.
Old 14-12-2022, 08:30   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Your good pastor sinned against you and the universe by using Cetol on his woodwork.

Good news: it removes easily with heat gun and scraper, and then you can put the finish of your choice on it, as long as you don't choose Cetol again.

Which would be a sin.
It really looks like Cetol.
I admire you Benz but I have to disagree on that one.
I have been using Cetol for many many years. The pictured issues are just lack of maintenance, as a bit of water ingress causes these if not corrected - same for all coatings.
You have to chase the nicks and scrapes. After my 7 or 8 initial coats I do one coat a year to maintain it, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a day out of the bars[emoji6]
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 08:45   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Definitely looks like the original Cetol. Not the best looking coating, but it works. Some of their newer variants are better looking, but still not as good as a nice varnish.

Realistically, once it's stripped, you can coat the wood with whatever you choose, no requirement to use the same stuff that's on there.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 09:36   #5

That looks like Cetol

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 10:43   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
It really looks like Cetol.
I admire you Benz but I have to disagree on that one.
I have been using Cetol for many many years. The pictured issues are just lack of maintenance, as a bit of water ingress causes these if not corrected - same for all coatings.
You have to chase the nicks and scrapes. After my 7 or 8 initial coats I do one coat a year to maintain it, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a day out of the bars[emoji6]
It's not the maintenance I object to: it's that even perfectly applied and maintained Cetol still looks like dull orange paint. Still, there's room for other opinions.....
Old 14-12-2022, 11:01   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
It's not the maintenance I object to: it's that even perfectly applied and maintained Cetol still looks like dull orange paint. Still, there's room for other opinions.....

Agreed, the original Cetol is pretty dull looking. 2 - 3 coats of the "natural teak" variety and a few coats of the clear gloss on top is much better looking, but still easy to touch up, etc. Still doesn't look as good as a good varnish job, but the application is also less fussy, etc.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 11:19   #8

Quote:
Yep, and I found it's no longer lasting than varnish, so why go orange?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 11:53   #9

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
This was true 10 or 20 years ago. I have been using since the orangy days but I switched the the dark teak color 15 years ago. Look it up, Cetol now comes in 3 or 4 shades including Natural Teak, Marine Light, Gloss and Original (which is not as orange as it once was).
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 11:54   #10

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Agreed, the original Cetol is pretty dull looking. 2 - 3 coats of the "natural teak" variety and a few coats of the clear gloss on top is much better looking, but still easy to touch up, etc. Still doesn't look as good as a good varnish job, but the application is also less fussy, etc.
This is what we use. Natural Teak color followed by 2 coats of Cetol Gloss over that. And yes, it doesn't look anywhere near as good as real varnish, but its not supposed to. It is easy to touch up, feathers.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 12:20   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Cetol has some benefits, too. (Yes, I, too, agree it looks like old Cetol). It is easier to apply than varnish, which can be a pit pernickety, and requires a better brush for a good finish. imho, real varnish looks more spiffy, like the boat is really loved; but as others above have said, the newer Cetol can be made to look d---n good, and, iirc, has a quicker re-coat time.

If what you want is concours de elegance level, the varnish would be your best bet; however, if serviceable and not shabby is where you're at, give the Cetol a go. You could also check out some of the other boats where you keep yours, find ones you think look good, and find out the products used... That could help with the decision.

Ann
Old 14-12-2022, 13:48   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 44

I agree, looks like Cetol from the photos. Just to muddy the discussion, I've used both varnish and Cetol for years. Like both but both have negatives as well. Going to try Semco on some exterior Teak as it looks like maintenance might be easier.
A la carte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 14:03   #13

Boat: Fisher 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by A la carte View Post
I agree, looks like Cetol from the photos. Just to muddy the discussion, I've used both varnish and Cetol for years. Like both but both have negatives as well. Going to try Semco on some exterior Teak as it looks like maintenance might be easier.

I use semco on my exterior teak. I think it looks great. Very different to varnish though

Name:	IMG_2345.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	268740
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 16:31   #14

almost everyone wants to bash cetol. the real problem is the person who applied

the first coats did not do it right. 2nd it was not maintained.
varnish instead..WHAT VARINSH? hum interesting no recommendations??

so varnish lovers which brand? how easy to renew in a year?

-dkenny64

ps I have teak that I put cetol in on in 2019 and it looks great..
dkenny64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 16:41   #15

Boat: Freedom 38

This is the whole reason I went with Plasteak handrails and eyebrows [emoji16]
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wood