Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 09:53   #1

Boat: 1973 Morgan 41 OI / 22' Macgregor
Need help with damage estimate!

My sailboat while at a marina was struck by another boat. It damaged the glass, teak rail a little stainless. The boat was in the Ohio River in central KY, I have been unable to get anyone to give me an estimate, because not being a sailing area. The only real boat glass guy recommended I write my own. Suggesting I was probably more knowledgeable than anyone in the area. This may be true of the repairs, but I have never wrote an estimate like this. Can anyone help me with the format or even an example of a quote. Thanks Jeff
jeff gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:00   #2

Re: Need help with damage estimate!

any pics? maybe PM them to one of the Pro's here... Minaret etc...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:02   #3

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Yes, I have written many thousands of damage estimates on cars, a dozen on boats.
If you email me some very good pictures I will help you. Please keep the sun off of the lens and use a camera, not a cellphone. My eyes aren't what they once were.
email them and a description to sww914 at gmail dot com
Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Sorry to hear. Hopefully the responsible party is insured or is paying for the repair.

If you try to estimate it yourself don't forget the standard boat rule. "Any repairs will cost twice as much and take twice as long as you estimate."

Proved this to myself a number of times. Just to be sure I wasn't mistaken I'm proving it again right now.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:36   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jeff, presumably you are thinking of taking the boat somewhere else, where there IS a yard that can repair it?

I would contact that yard(s) and ask them if they can give you an estimate, either by sending someone out, or having you send them photos. Estimates really don't mean much, unless the person making them is also willing to do the work at that price. An independent adjuster "should" be able to give you an estimate, but then, what hourly labor rate will they use? That's gonna vary widely depending on where the job is done. Whether it needs to be done indoors in a proper paint shed, or outdoors in a field.

And if the boat has to be taken several days away (assuming it is safe to do so) for the repair...there's the cost of the transport trips to figure in too. "Just a scuff" on a hull can mean repainting that entire side of the boat in order to disappear it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 18:25   #6

I have pulled the boat and have it back to my shop. The owner of the other boat does have insurance. The major insurance company says I have no claim because it was extreme weather conditions. Yeah right! No other boats broke mooring. Thanks for the good advise and I'll PM the pics. The damage appears to be mainly cosmetic, I do worry that the joint could have broke seal with the impact. The other boat has a new cabin way, thru the bow. Thanks for help!
Old 04-06-2012, 18:45   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

need pix to say anything
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 19:05   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Jeff, I notice your boat is identified as a 1973 Morgan Out Island and you mentioned damage to the teak rail. Is that the teak toe rail or a refit rub rail replacing the original black rubber rub rail? If it is the rub rail, you are probably aware that this covers the hull deck joint that is vulnerable here in the 1973 model. Be sure to inspect for underyling damage if it's at the rub rail. 'far less concern if it's at the toe rail.
Old 04-06-2012, 19:37   #9

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff gillette View Post
... The major insurance company says I have no claim because it was extreme weather conditions...

What in the heck is that one about?
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 19:51   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post

What in the heck is that one about?
Same question. The insurance company for the boat that hit yours claims the accident is not covered due to weather conditions? That sounds like complete BS or the worst insurance policy I've ever heard of.

If the insurance company doesn't pay I think you have to go after the owner.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:46   #11

My boat was hit repeatedly in the port stern quarter. The teak toe rail has a chunk removed, the black rub took the brunt of the impact removing half and breaking the lip off the seam in couple of places. I had requested that the insurance company pull my boat to inspect the rudder post and seam, thats when I was informed of extreme weather conditions. Yes I agree this is BS, they or he will pay the repairs. I think that because we were liveaboard for two years just returning home that we had limited resources to pursue the issue.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:06   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

If you're going through the other guys Insurance company,...let them deal with the estimate. Why should you? It's not your burden.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:24   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff gillette View Post
............It damaged the glass, teak rail a little stainless. The boat was in the Ohio River in central KY, I have been unable to get anyone to give me an estimate, because not being a sailing area. ..........
What does not being in a sailing area have to do with repair work to a hull? A boat hull is a boat hull to me. A repair is made in conformance with the original build.
I have always owned a sailboat and yet I have repaired houseboats and trawlers?
Maybe I am misunderstanding.
Also note that every state has an Insurance Commission that will assist you with claims that may be wrongfully denied.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:58   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Also note that every state has an Insurance Commission that"
Amen.
While some states have worthless commissions, in MOST states it is very useful to call them before you even talk to the other insurer. Find out what the state laws are, write down chapter and verse, and when you call the other insurer you can say "Stop right there, I've checked and the state requires you to...Do I need to file a complaint or will you do what you are required to do?"
In some cases an insurer is also required to make payment in full within 30 days of receiving a valid claim, and if they don't...they have to answer to that same commission, and they may lose the right to argue about the dollar value.
It very much pays to start with calling the insurance commission, whatever they are called in your state. And if the first insurance rep who speaks to you on the phone gives you nonsense or makes threats--politely demand to speak to their superior, tell them you will not deal with them. You're allowed to do that, and they're generally required to find a manager, not just pass the phone to the next desk.
Your insurance commission will probably have some good advice on the subject of "extreme weather" versus a "named storm". The policy might exclude damage in the latter case, but not the first. And when they start mumbling "Act of God" again, your insurance commission can help you out with the reply to that one.
By the way, if you can legally record calls in your state? I would suggest doing so. Insurers have been known to lie bigtime and then swear you didn't understand what they never said. If that means buying a $50 microrecroder from Radio Shack, it is a good investment. I find that when you say "Yes, that's exactly what you said, would you like to hear the tape?" folks change their tune real fast.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:10   #15

Boat: 47 Ft Donzi

Hey Joe here is that website with the custom DIY gelcoat repair kits are Good Luck
www doctorwholesale.com
gelcoatjeff is offline   Reply With Quote