Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2018, 10:35   #31

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Need ideas on electrifying davits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
This is neater than my plan, I had considered running both lines onto the winch (in the same direction with no divider) but thought the lines might not feed in evenly if one line wrapped on top of other line when the other didn't.

Have you experienced this ?
Hi Dave,

Since my layout has the lifting lines coming from opposite directions, I never tried using the winch with 2 lines from the same direction.

If I were going to do it that way I would give it a try to see if they play nice. [I suspect they would, but haven't tested...]

Let us know the results if you end up with that arrangement.

One thing to remember— and I know you are aware of this already— is when the lines come from opposite directions, they virtually cancel the pulling force on the winch mount. Coming from a single direction will not.

Cheers! Bill
Old 24-12-2018, 10:42   #32

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt View Post
I installed my electric winch and 2 lifting ropes without a dividing collar and have had no trouble with tangling. I was concerned initially that there might be an issue with tangling so used 2 different colour ropes to aid in potential untangling, but it has never been a problem, has never tangled, ropes happily lay on top of each other going in and feed out going out. I have used small diameter lightweight 2t breaking strain cord that does not take up much space on the winch. Another concern was how much current the 3000lb capacity winch might draw and what size cables would be required, but found that to lift my 70kg dinghy and motor only draws 10-13 amps, so cabling not to beefy.
That is interesting SRT.

Do the lines feed from the same or opposite directions?

RE: Winch amperage, what size wire and breaker/fuse did you end up with in your installation? I would guess your circuit protection— sized for the wire run— will trip long before the winch attempts max pulling power— and there is nothing wrong with that if you don't need high torque...

This is all good info for everyone to be aware of...

Cheers! Bill
Old 24-12-2018, 11:59   #33

Boat: Oram 39C 39.98 m

Another fan of electric winches. I too used an ATV winch with the ropes coming from either side. Just had to position the blocks so they feed well and don't cross. I had no trouble with corrosion but i did keep the anti corrosive spray up to it.

Two big benefits for me. By winching from the top of the davits you are not pulling down adding extra weight to the Davitts. My old system had manual winches halfway down on the arms of the davits

The best thing is its so quick. Boat is up before that larger wave rolls through.
moreton99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 16:02   #34
srt

Boat: Hunter 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
That is interesting SRT.

Do the lines feed from the same or opposite directions?

RE: Winch amperage, what size wire and breaker/fuse did you end up with in your installation? I would guess your circuit protection— sized for the wire run— will trip long before the winch attempts max pulling power— and there is nothing wrong with that if you don't need high torque...

This is all good info for everyone to be aware of...

Cheers! Bill

Hi Bill, the lines feed from opposite directions. The breaker size is 25amps, so in theory would go before the winch destroyed the davits if anything went wrong. The winch from memory will draw about 60amps at maximum load. The cable conductor is 2mm dia.

Stuart
srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 10:19   #35

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Great Ideas.
My only complaint is I didn't think of them myself already.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 11:10   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt View Post
Hi Bill, the lines feed from opposite directions. The breaker size is 25amps, so in theory would go before the winch destroyed the davits if anything went wrong. The winch from memory will draw about 60amps at maximum load. The cable conductor is 2mm dia.

Stuart
Thanks, Stuart. Good to know.

Given the specs you provided, your wire run to the ATV winch must be very short? [I'm assuming 12V DC; 25A @ 3% voltage drop requires ~2.5mm wire [14AWG equivalent) within a meter of the power source. Therefore I'm guessing you sized the wire run for the measured load of 10-15A 12V DC, which could be 3-4 meters from the power source and keep within a ~3% voltage drop...] My run was almost 9 meters, so my wire gauge was upsized accordingly.

It is good to hear the two lines sharing one winch drum play nice together. [I wasn't sure they would, and don't have good lift line fairleed adjustment, so I split the drum with a home made disk as a hedge...]

I ask these questions to gain a better perspective... [I have a tendency to err on the side of caution...]

Cheers! Bill
Old 28-12-2018, 11:11   #37

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

new harbor Freight flyer came today, 2,500 lb winch with wireless remote control, $49.99 using a coupon. That is an excellent price!
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 15:48   #38
srt

Boat: Hunter 40

Hi Bill,

My cable run is about 4 metres.

I was very surprised when I received the winch to see the supply cable with battery clips supplied, it was the about the same dia as I have used. although my run is a bit longer, I cannot imagine how the manufacturer supplied cable would handle the specified 60-80 amps at full load.

Fortunately does not affect me as lifting 70kgs my winch is very relaxed.

I did play at home with my winch with the 2 cords going in different directions dragging bricks across the pavement to make sure there would not be a tangle. Removing the same coloured cords at home even though not tangled however was not as simple as it should have been which prompted me to use 2 different colours on the actual boat installation, and it has worked on the boat without blemish.

regards

Stuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Thanks, Stuart. Good to know.

Given the specs you provided, your wire run to the ATV winch must be very short? [I'm assuming 12V DC; 25A @ 3% voltage drop requires ~2.5mm wire [14AWG equivalent) within a meter of the power source. Therefore I'm guessing you sized the wire run for the measured load of 10-15A 12V DC, which could be 3-4 meters from the power source and keep within a ~3% voltage drop...] My run was almost 9 meters, so my wire gauge was upsized accordingly.

It is good to hear the two lines sharing one winch drum play nice together. [I wasn't sure they would, and don't have good lift line fairleed adjustment, so I split the drum with a home made disk as a hedge...]

I ask these questions to gain a better perspective... [I have a tendency to err on the side of caution...]

Cheers! Bill
srt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 18:15   #39

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Folks who are using the 12v ATV winches, how did you attach dynema to drum? Thanks.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:49   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Folks who are using the 12v ATV winches, how did you attach dynema to drum? Thanks.
A clove hitch works great on my set-up.

I tie the middle of a long piece of UHMWPE line to the middle of the drum.

If you tie individual lines, tuck the end of the line under the clove hitch, and make sure there are always a few wraps on the winch when the line is fully deployed to keep the knot from slipping under load.

Many more details and photos are available in this write-up, which I have kept current over the years.

Cheers, Bill
Old 07-10-2023, 12:20   #41

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Revisiting this again since my 2018 comment of...
Quote:
Ours used to have electric but went back to manual at some stage.
We have 3speed boat trailer winches on ours.
They lift a 14 ft aluminium dinghy with 30hp, battery, fuel etc.
Weighs in at around 320kg/700lb
Now with bigger motor, more fuel etc more like 360kg / 800lb lift.
And still talked ourselves out of the electric route.
Manual witches have worked flawlessly and require little effort to lift and lower.

Adding electric with long cable runs or, another battery +solar for charge is too much like hard work and another point of fail.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits